Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Moonroof Trim Panel

Nick Le P

The plastic panel on the roof between the windscreen and the where the roof panel has become detched from the seal and buckles in the heat. I've also had a sticky clear substance running down the inside of the windscreen from the rear view mirror console.

Has anyone one else had either of these and if so what was the solution? I've been back to the dealer who has told me that the roof panel is normal and they cleaned the stuff off the windscreen but they don't know what it is. I'm not happy so off to see the Master Tech next week but any thoughts meantime, gratefully received.

Thanks

Nick

1 hour ago, Nick Le P said:

I've also had a sticky clear substance running down the inside of the windscreen from the rear view mirror console.

Funnily enough I've had that on the Fiesta. Only a couple of times in the last 3 years, after long spells of direct hot sun. Just cleaned it off with white spirit and, as nothing seems to have dropped off or come loose, forgot about it until you just mentioned it!😃

The sticky substance that slowly leaks down windscreen is the silicone gel that is used to install the light/rain sensor during assembly of the car. There is a gelpad between the windscreen and the sensors. During assembly a generous amount of thick silicone gel is used to prevent air bubbles between the windscreen/gelpad/sensor (air bubbles will affect the performance of the sensor). As a result of heat the gel becomes more liquid and slowly leaks through the window console down the windscreen.

This is a well known "problem" on relatively new vehicles and on vehicles which had the windscreen replaced.

Despite being rare it is also possible that the gelpad itself is leaking.

• Like 2

I’ve had the same thing. 69 plate focus. Commented mainly to get a notification about the master techs opinion! 

On 8/28/2021 at 3:03 PM, Nick Le P said:

The plastic panel on the roof between the windscreen and the where the roof panel meets the moonroof has become detched from the seal and buckles in the heat. I've also had a sticky clear substance running down the inside of the windscreen from the rear view mirror console.

Has anyone one else had either of these and if so what was the solution? I've been back to the dealer who has told me that the roof panel is normal and they cleaned the stuff off the windscreen but they don't know what it is. I'm not happy so off to see the Master Tech next week but any thoughts meantime, gratefully received.

Thanks

Nick

So a quick update. I saw the Master Tech today and he agreed with me that the moon roof trim panel isn't right and apologised that they said it was normal when they had the car in. He's now going to find out out what can be done as it may not be a dealer repair, but a return to the Ford workshop. Photo here shows the buckling of said panel. As for the gel he said the same as JW1982 above, so I'll just keep an eye to see if it happens again.

Image preview

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Nick Le P said:

Image preview

To post a photo, go to the 'paperclip' under the text box where you type your response, select, 'choose file', then open where your file is, when uploaded, click on the thumbnail and it will be inserted in your post...

32 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

To post a photo, go to the 'paperclip' under the text box where you type your response, select, 'choose file', then open where your file is, when uploaded, click on the thumbnail and it will be inserted in your post...

Apologies if I haven't done this correctly, the photo isn't saved on my computer.

21 minutes ago, Nick Le P said:

Apologies if I haven't done this correctly, the photo isn't saved on my computer.

If photo is on the 'internet', right click on it, press, 'save image as', then save it to your computer, then follow above...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

If photo is on the 'internet', right click on it, press, 'save image as', then save it to your computer, then follow above...

I'll make sure I do it correctly next time, if there is a next time. Should I delete my post if it's causing a problem?

1 minute ago, Nick Le P said:

I'll make sure I do it correctly next time, if there is a next time. Should I delete my post if it's causing a problem?

Hey buddy, it's no problem whatsoever! I was just guiding you to a successful photo post LOL Welcome to the forum...

1 hour ago, Nick Le P said:

Change to Apple , it’s foolproof! I’m testament to that! 

10 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Change to Apple , it’s foolproof! I’m testament to that! 

Don't know which is the more insidious company, Apple or amazon, it's a close call LOL 🤣

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Don't know which is the more insidious company, Apple or Amazon, it's a close call LOL 🤣

They’re bas**rds  no doubt but their products are very good. 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club