Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to Remove Spinning Screw Rivet

Fordfiestamark7

I am trying to remove a trim screw and the internal screw just keeps spinning without backing out. I have tried using no pressure and turning and also trying to pry out the from the plastic from the housing. I have also tried tightening and loosening.  Any ideas of how to remove easily? I am probably going to try to remove the internal screw and the mount together with brute force?

The screw is from the panel where the cabin filter is in Ford Fiesta Mk7

image.thumb.png.af449196dfa970f6da296ddd56504a98.png

• Like 1

Drill out the plastic screw. Once the screw is drilled out the outer part can easily be removed using a nose plier.

It’s not really a screw, use a small flat screwdriver to prise the centre part out of the clip, once it’s raised up both parts will pull out out of the trim easily.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MarksST said:

It’s not really a screw, use a small flat screwdriver to prise the centre part out of the clip, once it’s raised up both parts will pull out out of the trim easily.

👍

Really appreciate the quick replies, to be honest I couldnt get between the screw and outter part I tried a small flat screw driver paper clip and havent had much joy.

I will try to drill it (if my drill fits in) - I am assuming any parts store will have these?

Hi There here are some pictures of the trim fitting screws, Get a small flat screwdriver under head and pry up. Once you

have enough grip use pliers to pull out trim screw, Then you pry out main body insert clip.

Hope that helps

image.thumb.jpeg.f682f6f15d35ac1e8a0b0a6d1a72128e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c00f9e1a3e7b64ddc59969592fe2faf9.jpeg

• Like 1

You don't need to drill these lol. That's way over the top.

The plastic threads are prone to stripping. As long as you don't press any weight onto the screw head using the screwdriver, they usually come out. If not then use a small flathead screwdriver to prise on the head whilst you unscrew it.

By pressing downwards (or towards the clip) you're just forcing the screw back into the clip.

If you are having trouble getting a small screwdriver under the edge of the screw head then use Superglue and glue a small pozidrive scredriver in to the head of the plastic screw. Wait for the superglue to set for five minutes then with a quick tug pull the screwdriver back. It is alomost sure to pull free of the screw but will have pulled the head far enough out that you will then be able to get a flat end of a screwdriver under it and leaver it out.

The flat heat worked, I needed to be a bit more forceful trying to get the screw to pop up. I'll pick up a new one so its a bit easier next time. Thanks again for all the replies.

• Like 1

A Stanley knife blade tip wil pop the top out, then just cut it off.

I had the same problem getting it out, anyone know what size these are so I can buy a replacement.

Thanks

Martin

These things are one of the poorest & cheapest attempts by many vehicle manufacturers, it's so production assembly time is decreased, but for Mr Average Joe a few years on increases the goddamn blood pressure as you can't get them out, I've seen some really heavy duty push in clips that are just about impossible to get out, especially around wheel arches and other big plastic covers. 

I beg to differ. The toolkit to remove pretty well all trim panels is available for about the price of a plug spanner and a set of feeler gauges which were standard equipment for motorists in the days when the panels were rusting round the self tappers they were fixed on with. Panels unclip in seconds, the plastic clips are readily available and with the right tools, nothing gets broken. Much of the interior trim was taken out of my car to fit the factory RVC. It took no time at all and went back just as quickly, quite unblemished. The number of systems fitted all around modern cars, cameras, parking modules, aerial amplifiers, ten speaker audio systems and the rest brings a need for easy access to them and modern assembly techniques reflect that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club