Do Not Sell My Personal Information

number plate bulb and microswitch

alanfp

I have a 2013 estate.

My number plate bulb intermittently fails (no apparent pattern) so I want to replace it.

Youtube tells me that I need to remove tailgate handles, then inner plastic trim, then outer horizontal trim in order to get to the combined lamp/switch unit. Is that all actually necessary or can it be removed from the outside by prising it downwards???

Thanks.

Hi Al, the quick answer is YouTube is correct. 

I have seen people use an old credit card to slide between the edge of the handle and the body to push back the spring clips but I can't say that I've tried. 

• Like 1

Thanks Uno. That idea has really helped me!  I used two credit cards (at the same time) on the long edges to remove the outer bits and then used a flat bladed screwdriver to attack the short edges on each side to prise away the spring clips. Worked a treat - about ten minutes start to finish! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. 

The outer lens and trim parted company with the innards when I prised it out, but that doesn't matter, as I was replacing the whole unit. 

I paid £11 (plus P&P) for a generic part rather than the £63 that Fraud wanted. Fitted it today (in 5 minutes).  Time will tell whether it's as good as a genuine part.....

On 11/28/2021 at 5:22 PM, alanfp said:

Thanks Uno. That idea has really helped me!  I used two credit cards (at the same time) on the long edges to remove the outer bits and then used a flat bladed screwdriver to attack the short edges on each side to prise away the spring clips. Worked a treat - about ten minutes start to finish! 

Further update X 2..........

1.  On re-reading my previous post, I realise that I may not have made myself clear - I used two credit cards and a flat-bladed screw driver to prise out the LAMP from the outside, not the covers of the inner handles.  So to be clear, contrary to the YouTube video that I found, there is no need to remove any trim or handles.

2.  The replacement (non-Ford) lamp unit works fine, but weirdly, once I've locked the car, the lamp stays on dimly (about 10% brightness) for 5-10 minutes before turning off completely (around the same time as power to the cigar lighter cuts off, perhaps???).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club