Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Honest opinions on Ecoboost engines

gibbo1471

Hi my parents are looking at Ecoboost st line cars 18-19 plate I have seen a 1.0 Ecoboost petrol engine and a 1.5 diesel engine in that model what's your opinions on the petrol model o am sure I read they ate very unreliable at some point cheers all 

My Ecoboost petrol is 4yrs old now and it's still as good as new.

4 hours ago, gibbo1471 said:

Hi my parents are looking at Ecoboost st line cars 18-19 plate I have seen a 1.0 Ecoboost petrol engine and a 1.5 diesel engine in that model what's your opinions on the petrol model o am sure I read they ate very unreliable at some point cheers all 

You don't say what model they are looking at buying. I see you have posted the question in the EcoSport forum, is it an EcoSport they are looking at ?

Not it needs saying but I'd rather eat my shorts than have a Ecoboost 1.0 🤣  (Just added that bit for Roger).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, billyboy said:

My Ecoboost petrol is 4yrs old now and it's still as good as new.

I've no doubt at all Bill that your car is very probably as good as the day it was delivered new. The problem is there are thousands of other owners who are either clueless or don't care about looking after their car. Services get missed, wrong oil is used and there is almost no way to be sure what you're buying on the used car market.

• Like 2

Yes, like Bill's mine (owned from new) has been very good so far.

Unfortunately as we have seen on here many times problems do occur (most common seem to be rusting turbo pipes and more seriously oil pressure related issues stemming from degradation of the "wet" cambelt and blockage of the oil pump/strainer).

Most reports seem to be of problems from 5 or 6 years and 50-60,000 miles on, in cars that have been acquired used, though some owners of newer cars have had issues. This seems to tie in with missed or incorrect oil changes as @unofix mentions above.

Worryingly there have been several cases reported on here where the new owner has (they thought) purchased a car with a good service history which has turned out to be fake and the reputable dealers whose stamps have been counterfeited in service books have never seen the car.

At least on the Ecosport, Ford have, afaik, maintained the 12,500miles/12 month service interval, whereas in the Mk 8 Fiesta they increased it to 18,00/2years without, as far as I have been able to discover, making any change to the engine until the mhev was phased in in 2020. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club