Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine malfunction light suddenly just came on

Jason87

You are overthinking it. If the light went off, there is no longer any reason for it to be illuminated.

Ok I’ve got forscan installed and plugged in to car but it says unable to read dtc? Anyone know what I need to do?

CB87EDB7-0E14-4490-8049-CAC6B2A4F7DC.jpeg

555C6E38-49EB-4547-B1FB-C90AFB2635AD.jpeg

Yes, join the Forscan Forum and read the FAQs. You appear to be making progress because it clearly shows connection to the car and it looks as though the car cleared the fault code once it had sorted itself out.

I wonder if your adapter switches speeds automatically between the two canbuses. I suspect that is why some cannot be read. It doesn't mean that the car has DTCs.

7 minutes ago, anon said:

I wonder if your adapter switches speeds automatically between the two canbuses. I suspect that is why some cannot be read. It doesn't mean that the car has DTCs.

Does that message come up when there are no codes? I’m sure it had one code when I first did it then I cleared, then when I search again it says that 

I cannot do your thinking for you. Short of pointing you to the Forscan forum, I think you should now do some learning of your own so that you understand what you are doing.

You need to delete your vehicle profile from FORScan and then reconnect and let it scan all modules again. Once FORScan does not read a module (for what ever reason) it will not look to try and read it again unless you start a new vehicle profile.

6 minutes ago, unofix said:

You need to delete your vehicle profile from FORScan and then reconnect and let it scan all modules again. Once FORScan does not read a module (for what ever reason) it will not look to try and read it again unless you start a new vehicle profile.

I tried doing that earlier a few times and it still does it. I had the ms can bits on “auto” if that makes a difference?

5 minutes ago, unofix said:

Are you using the vLinker FS cable ?

Yeah, ordered the one someone sent me a link to on here

Just looked back at your FORScan DTC list.

So am I correct in saying that the only module it's not reading is the ACM (Audio Control Module) ?

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

Just looked back at your FORScan DTC list.

So am I correct in saying that the only module it's not reading is the ACM (Audio Control Module) ?

I’m not too sure, when I go to “dtc” and scan it says unable to read dtc so I assume this means it’s unable to run any codes?

I can see from your list, that after your established communication (second half of your list) then it read all modules except the ACM. There were no DTC's present.

Was the ignition on, and the engine off ? Also was the radio switched on ?

Just now, unofix said:

I can see from your list, that after your established communication (second half of your list) then it read all modules except the ACM. There were no DTC's present.

Was the ignition on, and the engine off ? Also was the radio switched on ?

So does it just say unable to read dtc when I run the scan as it can’t read the acm? So it’s normal? Yeah ignition was on, engine off and I think stereo was off also

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jason87 said:

and I think stereo was off also

and that is probably why it couldn't read the ACM

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

and that is probably why it couldn't read the ACM

Ah thanks, it’s just me being stupid then. I thought it was meaning it couldn’t run any codes but it just meant it couldn’t run one on the acm. I’ll try it again tomorrow with the stereo on. Guess then it will just say no codes found so I know it’s all good rather than “unable to read dct”

• Like 1

A classic example of going looking for trouble. Is the stereo likely to bring up the MIL? No. Is it playing up? No. So why waste time looking for fault codes? Because you can.

The car has regenerated the dpf, the MIL has gone out without the need to store a fault code and you have verified the fact. Job done.

I also only get one dpf option, doesn’t let me check soot level. How do i view dpf regen info etc?

E1F1060B-E818-496E-B7BB-32E2D4B9B53F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jason87 said:

I also only get one dpf option, doesn’t let me check soot level. How do i view dpf regen info etc?

E1F1060B-E818-496E-B7BB-32E2D4B9B53F.jpeg

There is not an Implied Soot Level for that car or a Distance to last Regeneration. An Implied Soot Load is exactly what is says, an Implied value not a real one and it will take its Implication mainly from the Differential Pressure readings, which are the Important one.

The reading at Idle should be close to 0, anything over 0.5 is not good. When driving normally, anything over 5 is not great, 2 or 3 would be normal for a DPF in good order and once it gets to about 15 then you have trouble and need to fix any faults that are causing the DPF to be blocked, if any, and either replace it or take it off to get professionally cleaned, cutting it open if necessary.

Stuff that claims to clean DPF's are a waste of money in my opinion. They may clean some Carbon but can't clean Ash.

• Like 2

Quite so. Ash is pretty well irremovable. I wonder what the effect of sticking a great big ultrasonic transducer on the filter for a day or two with a fan blowing air down it would be. Not a lot I would guess because if that ash gets damp, it will be pretty well cement. DPFs have a finite life and even if they are properly cared for, they wear out in the end.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tizer said:

There is not an Implied Soot Level for that car or a Distance to last Regeneration. An Implied Soot Load is exactly what is says, an Implied value not a real one and it will take its Implication mainly from the Differential Pressure readings, which are the Important one.

The reading at Idle should be close to 0, anything over 0.5 is not good. When driving normally, anything over 5 is not great, 2 or 3 would be normal for a DPF in good order and once it gets to about 15 then you have trouble and need to fix any faults that are causing the DPF to be blocked, if any, and either replace it or take it off to get professionally cleaned, cutting it open if necessary.

Stuff that claims to clean DPF's are a waste of money in my opinion. They may clean some Carbon but can't clean Ash.

Ah is it because I have the ceramic coated dpf? Guessing on the older tdci you can see when in it last did a regen?

15 minutes ago, Jason87 said:

Ah is it because I have the ceramic coated dpf? Guessing on the older tdci you can see when in it last did a regen?

That version of the TDCI was near the end of the MK2.5's life and pretty much a stop gap and as far as I know there is not an Implied Soot Load in Ford IDS for that version of the Engine either, I think there was for the earlier and later versions.

As stated above you can get all the information you need from the Differential Pressure readings, especially when driving, not very convenient with the Laptop version of FORScan much more convenient with the phone version and a wireless adaptor.

Or, you can just drive the car  because there is nothing wrong with it.

I think I’ve got the error code back that first triggered the engine light. It’s the p0134 o2 sensor code. This would explain the spluttering like a miss fire I get sometimes. I’ll book jn to garage to see if I need new 02 sensor.

E57DD51C-37D1-47A3-B6F3-EE5A1E36E3C0.jpeg

Hi

Mine started doing that, then engine started stopping as well. Turned out to be bad fuel filter leading to insufficient rail pressure. 1000 + miles since changing the filter with no problems. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club