Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Battery Issues

TomsFocus

You all know how much I like the Mk4 right? :rolleyes:

Finally got around to attempting some car stuff today.  Just wanted to idle the Mk4 for 15 mins. Realised it was in very deep sleep, had to use the emergency key to get in.  (Removing that from the fob is a task in itself!).  Then realised it was all very dead.

Then remembered the daft bonnet release that only opens with the passenger door open apparently.  S*d that lol. :laugh:

Didn't expect the battery to be this dead though. 

IMG_20230220_153841000_HDR.thumb.jpg.09f66aab1a04d2cf48d69fb2d705b247.jpg

Reckon it's worth trying to jump start with the GB40?  I can't charge it overnight due to it's location.  Might be able to get about 3 hours charge into it per day, not sure whether it's worth the hassle?

On a lighter note, thought I'd try the high mileage, battered, old, cat N VW...  Different story there! :biggrin:

IMG_20230220_154059213.thumb.jpg.34064b1bc1b298e8369ac642d4b47ab8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh dear Tom, just goes to prove that newer isnt always the better option sadly 🙁

You have reminded me though that I need to get a multimeter so it's a tad easier to keep a check on the battery.

We had a trip to the coast earlier today 145 mile round trip and I know that the SOC was at 57% last week and it has been used from Wed to Sun on short trips so going to see if theres any movement on that in the next half hour before it gets dark ............  🙄

• Like 2

Jump starting it with the gb40 will be ok. But leave it connected for a few mins be before removing it while engine running.  But I wouldn't bother as that battery is now knackered at 2 v. Good luck charging at that low voltage. 

• Thanks 1

Had Google at your Multimeter @TomsFocus is there any reason why it's coming back in the £40 bracket and others are available at far less ? Or is this just a VW battery compared to a Mk4 Focus scenario 😆

Checked the SOC , its sat at 61% and reads 12.4v in the bottom right of the Forscan page......does that sound about right ? It's about an hour since we got back.

13 minutes ago, Wino said:

Had Google at your Multimeter @TomsFocus is there any reason why it's coming back in the £40 bracket and others are available at far less ? Or is this just a VW battery compared to a Mk4 Focus scenario 😆

I was bought that multimeter as a gift in 2008.  (Training as a sparky at the time). Surprised they still make it!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, iantt said:

Jump starting it with the gb40 will be ok. But leave it connected for a few mins be before removing it while engine running.  But I wouldn't bother as that battery is now knackered at 2 v. Good luck charging at that low voltage. 

Thanks Ian.  Will try and jump it at some point.  I just want to know it still runs fine and that the brakes aren't seized.  I've literally got a month to either return it, sell it or have it serviced due to finance & warranty agreement.

34 minutes ago, Wino said:

Checked the SOC , its sat at 61% and reads 12.4v in the bottom right of the Forscan page......does that sound about right ? It's about an hour since we got back.

I would think that sounds about right. It takes quite a while for the vehicle to make any significant charge to the battery, especially if other equipment is in use like lights, wipers, heated seats.

From what I've observed for my own battery (was under 58%) it took ages to get it back to 66%, I almost gave up and replaced it. Then after 66% it seems to gone up to 72% with very little use in the last day or so.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, unofix said:

I would think that sounds about right. It takes quite a while for the vehicle to make any significant charge to the battery, especially if other equipment is in use like lights, wipers, heated seats.

From what I've observed for my own battery (was under 58%) it took ages to get it back to 66%, I almost gave up and replaced it. Then after 66% it seems to gone up to 72% with very little use in the last day or so.

Thanks for that info. I'm off tomorrow but have chauffeuring duties at 10am and 4pm so will put it back on charge. Btw, the plug in gizmo was showing 14.3v when we got back today so will check what that's reading first thing (14.5v) is my guess. Stop start doesn't generally kick in till it hits 14.2v but either way it's in a better state than it was with continually reading 14.9v everytime with having the heated seats/screen and aircon on.

Looking further into this, I was surprised to see the battery is EFB.  Thought I'd read on here the MHEV's didn't need EFB because the majority of stop/start was done using the hybrid battery?

It's also a '100' which limits the choice.  I can't work out what the difference is between 100 and 096 batteries though? 

Halfords EFB100 Start Stop Car Battery 5 Year Guarantee | Halfords UK

I bought one of these for the Golf last year, but never fitted it.  Still in a box in the boot.  Wonder if that would work ok being 096?

Exide EK700 096 AGM Car Van Battery 12V 70Ah 760A - Next Day Delivery | eBay

Or would I have to replace with a Ford branded battery while it's still on Ford Credit finance?  Bear in mind that I may hand the car back due to complex circumstances. :rolleyes: 

Also wondering if it's even worth replacing the battery when there's presumably a module fault draining it.  The battery had been holding charge fairly well.  Just checked FordPass and it shows I last ran the engine in October.  Didn't even need to jump start it then, was still around 11-12v despite not having even been unlocked for about 6 months.

You may find that taking out the old battery and leaving it for 20 mins before you put the new battery in that the modules sort themselves out, that's what happened to mine when the 1st lockdown happened. Wasn't aware a module was causing a drain on the battery, car stood for 3 weeks and battery flat as a f4rt and it's been fine since it was replaced. It just doesn't get driven enough but saying that I've not had anything other than S/S not work since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Looking further into this, I was surprised to see the battery is EFB.  Thought I'd read on here the MHEV's didn't need EFB because the majority of stop/start was done using the hybrid battery?

It's also a '100' which limits the choice.  I can't work out what the difference is between 100 and 096 batteries though? 

Halfords EFB100 Start Stop Car Battery 5 Year Guarantee | Halfords UK

I bought one of these for the Golf last year, but never fitted it.  Still in a box in the boot.  Wonder if that would work ok being 096?

Exide EK700 096 AGM Car Van Battery 12V 70Ah 760A - Next Day Delivery | eBay

Or would I have to replace with a Ford branded battery while it's still on Ford Credit finance?  Bear in mind that I may hand the car back due to complex circumstances. :rolleyes: 

Also wondering if it's even worth replacing the battery when there's presumably a module fault draining it.  The battery had been holding charge fairly well.  Just checked FordPass and it shows I last ran the engine in October.  Didn't even need to jump start it then, was still around 11-12v despite not having even been unlocked for about 6 months.

096 is a bit taller than the 100, otherwise basically the same width and depth.

Both fit in the Mk4. The 096 is installed from factory for the diesels, 100 for the petrols.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

096 is a bit taller than the 100, otherwise basically the same width and depth.

Both fit in the Mk4. The 096 is installed from factory for the diesels, 100 for the petrols.

Thanks Alex.  So the Golf battery is a contender then.  Unless I need to use a Ford one while on finance?

Just had another idea as well...would this be covered under warranty as it's clearly a fault to drain the battery this low.  I know it was newer at the time but did yours get replaced under warranty when the module drained it?

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks Alex.  So the Golf battery is a contender then.  Unless I need to use a Ford one while on finance?

Just had another idea as well...would this be covered under warranty as it's clearly a fault to drain the battery this low.  I know it was newer at the time but did yours get replaced under warranty when the module drained it?

As long as it is EFB type it will be fine, no need to use a Ford branded battery.

No, they ran a battery test after recharging it overnight and it passed, so it wasn't changed.

• Thanks 1

FORD battery's are W-A-N and add a K!!!!

I'm currently on my 3rd Ford one, and it's now foobar!! Car's only done 26000 miles!!!

Just now, VFR800 said:

FORD battery's are W-A-N and add a K!!!!

I'm currently on my 3rd Ford one, and it's now foobar!! Car's only done 26000 miles!!!

Ford don't make batteries, they are made by Varta, quite a well known brand for batteries, I believe they make or run a joint venture with Bosch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Ford don't make batteries, they are made by Varta, quite a well known brand for batteries, I believe they make or run a joint venture with bosch.

Was about to say the same thing - Most car makers use the same brands, nothing to do with the badge on the front of the car. 

It's the car that's w*nk, not the battery. :laugh:

3 in 26k isn't that bad though, mines only covered 125 miles lol.

• Haha 3

It's got to be a bad batch of batteries surely ? I know there are some issues with modules not shutting down etc but 3 batteries within 26k 😳 Are you running your house appliances direct from the car itself 🤣

29 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Ford don't make batteries, they are made by Varta, quite a well known brand for batteries, I believe they make or run a joint venture with bosch.

I'm looking a new battery for my wife's VW - choice of Varta or Bosch came up which I both thought of a reasonable brands - are you saying neither are any good?  This is to replace a basic supermarket brand that I installed in March 2011! 

10 minutes ago, south_bound said:

I'm looking a new battery for my wife's VW - choice of Varta or Bosch came up which I both thought of a reasonable brands - are you saying neither are any good?  This is to replace a basic supermarket brand that I installed in March 2011! 

No I'm saying they are good brands, but that afaik they are both made in the same factory. Probably identical other than the colour/stickers. Yuasa seem to make the Halfords branded batteries, at least all the ones I've looked at.

I'm still on the Factory fit Varta (Ford branded) battery, which has been down to 3V due to battery drain. On about 22k miles, spent 4 weeks sat around and still started fine at 3.5 years old.

8 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

No I'm saying they are good brands, but that afaik they are both made in the same factory. Probably identical other than the colour/stickers. Yuasa seem to make the Halfords branded batteries, at least all the ones I've looked at.

I'm still on the Factory fit Varta (Ford branded) battery, which has been down to 3V due to battery drain. On about 22k miles, spent 4 weeks sat around and still started fine at 3.5 years old.

Thanks, looks like I will get one of those then.  Varta is about £7 more but Bosch showing out of stock, but more important that the car starts without needing to be on charge every night.

Today's update...

GB40 wouldn't detect the battery.  Is it 'safe' to try the manual override on a modern car?  The handbook gives lots of warnings in capital letters advising against it. :unsure:

While I had the GB40 out there, thought it try it on the Mk2, but the battery on that is totally dead as well. :rolleyes:  Guess I could try the manual override on that first, no great loss if it ends up frying modules on that and getting scrapped.

Thought I could save it being a complete waste of time by moving some crap out of the Golf boot and into the Mk2 in order to access the new spare battery that was right at the back of the Golf boot.  Only the Mk2 is deadlocked, so I couldn't open the boot or any door except the driver's... 🤦‍♂️

Anyone else feel like they're in a constant sitcom farce? :laugh:

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Anyone else feel like they're in a constant sitcom farce? :laugh:

Oh yes, many times!

Back to batteries. Don't know what chargers you have available and appreciate your access issues.

Never had to try this, fortunately, but the "blurb" for C-tek chargers claims the "Recond" mode can restore charge to a "deeply discharged" (they don't define that) battery.

The Noco Genius charger that I also have also claims that it can charge batteries that are down to 1v or, in "force" mode, zero.

Btw the Varta in my Fiesta has stood up pretty well over the last 5 years, including all the lockdowns etc but I have given it a charge with one of the above chargers fairly regularly e.g. when it's been stood for a while or if I get the "systems off to save battery" warning. I normally disable start/stop when I set off anyway, but when I forget, it still works often as not.

• Like 1

I've got a Maypole charger.  (Think Stephen might have the same one 😉 )

And a Noco GB40 jump starter.

I do have a large power bank that can run the Maypole away from the mains but only for a few hours at a time.  Then the power bank has to be brought indoors to charge for a few hours.  I'll try it over the weekend if there's a good chance it'll work long enough to dispose of the car...  Just don't want to exacerbate health issues if it's an exercise in futility.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I've got a Maypole charger. 

So have I 👍

Someone recommended it to me last year, don't remember who it was now 🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club