Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Battery Issues

TomsFocus

14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

This is weird.  TPMS has only updated on one side.  Is there any way to 'force' it to update without the suggested drive over 20mph?

1306233765_Screenshot_20230301-1722562.thumb.png.3079c9cdd550ab01a01b2bff62def7df.png

Just moving the car slightly might wake the TPMS's up for them to update although I don't know why two of them have updated.

If that screenshot is from Ford Pass, if you pull down from the top of your screen Ford Pass will update, otherwise it will just show you the info from when the car was last stopped.

For example if I check it tomorrow morning when I get up it will show me the pressures when I stopped the night before, but if I pull down it will update. It can take several seconds to update.

• Like 1

My Mk4 updates immediately if I add air. I have a slow leak in one tyre and had to use a motorway station who's gauge didn't work properly so the only way was to add a bit of air and then turn on the ignition and check the TMPS reading till it got to where I wanted.  I checked using my own compressor when I got home and it was about right. 

Edit: I assume your picture is from the app?  I just used the car display to get my numbers - have you checked that?

5 minutes ago, south_bound said:

My Mk4 updates immediately if I add air. I have a slow leak in one tyre and had to use a motorway station who's gauge didn't work properly so the only way was to add a bit of air and then turn on the ignition and check the TMPS reading till it got to where I wanted.  I checked using my own compressor when I got home and it was about right. 

Edit: I assume your picture is from the app?  I just used the car display to get my numbers - have you checked that?

That’s only because the sensors were already awake from having driven before you put air in. The sensors sleep if not moved for a bit and will usually only deactivate based on movement. 

30 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

This is weird.  TPMS has only updated on one side.  Is there any way to 'force' it to update without the suggested drive over 20mph?

1306233765_Screenshot_20230301-1722562.thumb.png.3079c9cdd550ab01a01b2bff62def7df.png

Good ole tyre kick? Funny as it sounds it might work with the ignition/engine on as the sensors sleep when not moving but a jolt might be enough to wake them up without moving the car. 

• Like 2

That pic is from FordPass but it's the same as the dash.  Gave it a few minutes running late this afternoon but didn't take my phone down with me for a pic.  Was intending to try moving it back & forth a few feet to free off the brakes but the idle vibrations alone set off my vertigo so that put an end to that...

When I first got in I pressed the 'reset pressures' button without realizing that only one side had changed.  So presumably it will now throw a warning for overinflation when it does update. 🤦‍♂️

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That pic is from FordPass but it's the same as the dash.  Gave it a few minutes running late this afternoon but didn't take my phone down with me for a pic.  Was intending to try moving it back & forth a few feet to free off the brakes but the idle vibrations alone set off my vertigo so that put an end to that...

When I first got in I pressed the 'reset pressures' button without realizing that only one side had changed.  So presumably it will now throw a warning for overinflation when it does update. 🤦‍♂️

You only need to Reset Pressures when you are using new pressures, for example when Inflating the Tyres to full load pressures or rotating front to back, not when just topping the pressures up.

It will throw a warning when the "Learned" hot pressure falls to more than 20% below the set value taking into account ambient temperature, how hard the car is driven etc. This is what the 10 minute learning cycle is for although it will use default values if a Tyre does lose a lot of pressure before the Learned Values are learned.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tizer said:

You only need to Reset Pressures when you are using new pressures, for example when Inflating the Tyres to full load pressures or rotating front to back, not when just topping the pressures up.

It will throw a warning when the "Learned" hot pressure falls to more than 20% below the set value taking into account ambient temperature, how hard the car is driven etc. This is what the 10 minute learning cycle is for although it will use default values if a Tyre does lose a lot of pressure before the Learned Values are learned.

Yeah, I did change the pressures.  They're meant to be 33psi all round.  But my tyre inflator is so slow and has limited battery life before needing a recharge that I decided to compromise with 30psi all round and then reset the learned values.

I've got a few warnings on FordPass for the low pressures but that might have been when the engine was run for an extended period to charge the battery.

• Like 1

As promised, clearer video of the bonnet catch.

Still couldn't get the tyre pressures to change fully though!  Tried tapping the tyre but that didn't do anything, tried sticking a bit more pressure in with the engine running and they changed a bit, but still not right.  That'll have to do lol.

IMG_20230306_154538815.thumb.jpg.ba4f7916d3becb2084b8d217ddb9c660.jpg

Also reset the Sync system, which has now blocked my FordPass access.  So for anyone else wondering, do it on the handover day.

IMG_20230306_154619848_HDR.thumb.jpg.79e3152cb8ec269521847bf365dc89f3.jpg

After the reset, I switched off the engine and got the most terrifying message appear...  I haven't carried any rear passengers for about 5 years!!  I hope that's not based on a weight sensor... :unsure: :laugh:

IMG_20230306_154930786.thumb.jpg.4389caecea0ffb8e3db9a56f6a35b8ba.jpg

• Like 2

I'm sure I've seen those gloves before..... may have been on Crime Watch 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, unofix said:

I'm sure I've seen those gloves before..... may have been on Crime Watch 🤣

I was thinking the same, though pretty sure they were in Lidls 'middle aisle' offers LOL

• Haha 1

Thanks for posting the video of the Bonnet catch Tom, I don't need to bother too much about not double locking my car now.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

After the reset, I switched off the engine and got the most terrifying message appear...  I haven't carried any rear passengers for about 5 years!!  I hope that's not based on a weight sensor... :unsure: :laugh:

The back seats do not have Occupant Load Sensors on these cars unless something has changed since mine was built which is doubtful, the Seatbelt Buckles obviously do have sensors.

The only seat that does have a sensor is the front passenger seat and that is more for Airbag deployment than to warn the driver.

Looks like your front left Tyre sensor has gone to sleep, If you manage to move the wheels it may respond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tried again and i definitely can’t open the bonnet without opening the passenger door (or taking the catch off and turning manually)

• Confused 1

It is better to seek the help of a mechanic

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club