Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance quotes for mods a joke!

DannG

Hey All,

Is there a general consensus about who is best to insure with when making mods to your car?

Want to add the Eibach springs to my car next week only to find insurers won’t insure it and will need to cancel. Couldn’t even add “stickers” either!

Quotes to insure are a joke and about £200 more than prior to Eibach springs and rear boot spoiler. 

Appreciate they just want all the money they can get but no sense is applied to this industry and it’s infuriating. 

No options to allow OEM options from the manufacturer either on insurance quotes - so even if the manufacturer offer “the mod” after it’s come out the factory as an official OEM change, it’s classified as a mod and sticks your insurance up by stupid amounts. Ridiculous - It was an option I didn’t tick during build. How does that matter?!!

There is no way insurers charge more for a focus with black wing mirrors vs blue ones so how would they know what the car came out the factory like?!

OEM mod or not…this industry needs looking at.

Some of it is because statistics show a different risk for people who make changes to their car. But as with any insurance, you've just got to shop around, I've changed insurer to find one more friendly to certain mods before, it can make no difference sometimes depending on the underwriter and type of mod.

Some of the brokers can be a bit better with mods than the main stream insurers on comparison sites.

I'm sure Dan will be along to remind you about Adrian Flux 😉

I've had a policy with Chris Knott and would recommend giving them a go too.

Greenlight is another often talked about for modified cars.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Some of it is because statistics show a different risk for people who make changes to their car. But as with any insurance, you've just got to shop around, I've changed insurer to find one more friendly to certain mods before, it can make no difference sometimes depending on the underwriter and type of mod.

Some of the brokers can be a bit better with mods than the main stream insurers on comparison sites.

I'm sure Dan will be along to remind you about Adrian Flux 😉

I've had a policy with Chris Knott and would recommend giving them a go too.

Greenlight is another often talked about for modified cars.

Yeah I wanted to avoid brokers but realise you can’t really. Forgot about Chris Knott and hadn’t heard of Greenlight so give them a go 🙂 

The mainstream insurers are ridiculous though. How can a sticker or small bit of wrap mean you can’t be insured….crazy.

Thanks

Dan, from Adrian Flux should be springing along soon... 😁

• Haha 1

Car insurance in general is a joke.

Brentacre may also be worth a try if you're over 21.

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Car insurance in general is a joke.

Brentacre may also be worth a try if you're over 21.

We've insured the "Noddy car" today. Changed insurers as the wanted £195 up from £165 last year even though it only does 1k miles a year. So the Mrs has shopped around today to get it sorted and managed to get it insured for £135 fully comp with the RAC via Topcashback site with £40 cashback 👍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Mrs has shopped around today to get it sorted and managed to get it insured for £135 fully comp with the RAC via Topcashback site with £40 cashback 👍

😲 I think that's at least £100 cheaper than the best price I can ever find for myself.

Maybe post this in the Insurance forum? 

4 minutes ago, alanfp said:

We have an insurance form??

• Haha 1

... and Stephen has previously posted on there, so I wasn't sure if he was being sarcaustic 😉

1 hour ago, alanfp said:

... and Stephen has previously posted on there,

and so have I with out knowing 🤣

I just reply to posts and in most cases don't check which forum they have been posted in.

Latest.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, alanfp said:

I echo everyone else. Didn’t know there was one.

Either way, when your 1L EcoBoost Focus costs more to insure than your 4L Porsche, just because of a single modification…it becomes ridiculous!

long as its not seriously modded, you bought it like that LOL

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 4:01 PM, Jimpster said:

long as its not seriously modded, you bought it like that LOL

Unfortunately that doesn’t fly with insurance companies. You still need to declare the previous owners modifications if it’s not standard otherwise the insurance is invalid. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club