Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Zetec S 2.0TDCI Central Locking Issues - CANBUS...

ZakHargz

Hey,

I'm looking for some advice / pointers / anything that could potentially help with trying to resolve the Central Locking / Keyless Entry issue I seem to be having. 

As above, I have a Focus Mk2 Zetec S 2.0TDCI - Keyless Start/Entry (no ignition barrel).

To begin, I have to use the key to unlock the drivers door which unlocks all the doors; I can then proceed to get into the car, and start the car with no problems (sometimes it doesn't start due to immobiliser, but I get out, lock it, leave it a minute, repeat and it starts), so the fob must be working fine, but not to initiate the central locking / keyless entry. 

I've purchased the modified ELM327 OBDII cable, downloaded FORscan & ELMCONFIG to try and diagnose the issues.

DTCs with Original IC:
IC - U1900
SRM - U0010:88-28
SRC - U3000:41-2F

I can see with elmconfig there are no RKE transponder IDs, nor seem them on the GEM module - Certainly brings this back to being a BUS issue, but where is an unknown - I've taken the IC out, looked at the "common" solder issue, redid this with no avail (I'm still seeing the DTC U1900-60).

I decided to pick up a doner IC from the trusted scrap yard (Bare with me on this); I backed the original HEC config from the initial IC, connected donor IC, reprogrammed, and managed to start the car as per normal. 

This time, I can see some RKE transponder IDs within the HEC module (again through ELMCONFIG), but still nothing through GEM - I'm now getting a bunch more RKE DTCs which may or may not help - I'll post these below:

DTCS with Doner IC:
IC - U1900
SRM - U0010:88-28
SRC - U3000:41-2F
RCM - B1318-20
RKE - B2431-20
RKE - U0155-20
RKE - P0562-20
RKE - B1318-20

I've taken a look at the GEM module and it all seems fine, no water damage / blown fuses etc. 

Does anyone have any advice / things to try / what I could look for next? 

Hello Zak,  I'm not familiar with the Ford model Hargreaves, but I expect it's similar to a Focus 😉

Have you checked the actual RKE module and the aerials ? There have been a few cases of these modules becoming intermittent and eventually failing.

This is a link to the Ford parts for your model:

https://catalogs.ssg.asia/ford/?lang=en#bWFya2V0PT1ldXJvfHxjYXRfaWQ9PTExMTA0fHxjYWJicj09R0NCNHx8dGhrPT0zfHxzdD09NDB8fHN0cz09eyIyMCI6IkV1cm9wZSIsIjMwIjoiRm9jdXMgQ0I0IDIwMDgtMjAxMSIsIjQwIjoiNCBFbGVjdHJpY2FsIn18fERSPT1EUjBDMHx8QlM9PUJTSEMwfHxFTj09RU5HNjB8fGFscGhhPT00fHxXPT1XQUVHQjA%3D

Special note for @TomsFocus Normal service restored 🤣

Hargreaves.JPG

• Haha 2

Hey, 

Knew I'd balls something up! I've changed it now 😂

I'll take a look at the link you've provided - Thank you. 

I have to say I haven't physically checked because I cannot find the dam things! Hopefully the link provided will be enough for me to win in this game of hide and seek!

Many thanks, 

• Like 1

I think the RKE module is located in the boot behind the rear quarter trim, probably on the passenger side near the fusebox (if your model has one in the boot).

Upon finding, is there a way to tell if these modules are faulty? Any testing I can do? 

It does sound like a can bus issue as you say, usual trouble spots , as you mention are the cluster and Gem and corresponding plugs

when you resoldered the pins on the cluster pcb, did you clean and use new solder or just re-flow the joints?

just a thought

I can confirm I removed all the old solder and re-did this scratch with no avail.

I'm not having much luck; certainly think I bought a dud!

Thanks, 

My Father-In-Law's 2011 MK2.5 RKE module went down on his, it was located in the passenger rear 1/4 trim, condensation had got in and corroded it.

Now, you've got to get your terminology right because late MK2.5s are a bit different

Keyless entry is with the remote, managed by the RKE built into the GEM

Keyless start is managed by the cluster (PATS) through the GEM

Passive entry is where you don't need a remote, you just press the buttons on the door handles and tailgate.

Passive entry system is controlled though the keyless system, through the cluster and back through the GEM, the Remote entry works through a stand alone RKE module in the LH rear 1/4

Which system have you got?

Water ingress into the GEM killed our 2010 MK2.5 Zetec-S, that had keyless start but remote, keyless entry, NOT passive

The first thing that goes down on the GEM is the RKE circuit, so I would investigate the GEM for water ingress.

If you have passive entry, investigate the GEM AND the RKE in the LH rear 1/4

If RKE has gone down it either doesn't show up on FORScan or shows up as deactivated

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/4/2023 at 5:03 PM, unofix said:

I think the RKE module is located in the boot behind the rear quarter trim, probably on the passenger side near the fusebox (if your model has one in the boot).

8 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

My Father-In-Law's 2011 MK2.5 RKE module went down on his, it was located in the passenger rear 1/4 trim, condensation had got in and corroded it.

Time to take a good look at the RKE module I would say.

8 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

If RKE has gone down it either doesn't show up on FORScan or shows up as deactivated

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply’s. 

I’ve gone and replaced the IC and GEM with still no avail. 

Has anyone managed to fix the RKE system, or buy a second hand one. I assume this would be plug and play as I can’t see any asbuilt data for the module. 

I’m quite curious, how would I go about reprogramming the key? I can’t use the ignition barrel (I only have 1 key too) do I need something special? It may be fixed but the key needs reprogramming 

The RKE module is only a receiver, it does not hold the programming information of the key. Just replace it with the same part number and it will be PnP.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ZakHargz said:

Thanks for the reply’s. 

I’ve gone and replaced the IC and GEM with still no avail. 

Has anyone managed to fix the RKE system, or buy a second hand one. I assume this would be plug and play as I can’t see any asbuilt data for the module. 

You done everything else from what I recommended.

RKE module in rear

On 6/8/2023 at 12:27 PM, DaveT70 said:

If you have passive entry, investigate the GEM AND the RKE in the LH rear 1/4

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club