Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk4 'see manual' fault

HtotheP

I've got a 2018 Focus ST Line X, serviced every year. Intermittently over the last 6 months I get a spanner warning light and 'see manual' message on the dash and the car loses power. After turning the car off for 5 mins the fault disappears, acceleration is as normal and the fault doesn't tend to come back for another few weeks. I took it to my usual garage, they thought it was an issue with the wet belt but after investigating said that was in good condition. They advised using Super Unleaded petrol and taking it to a Ford dealer for a software update. The latest time the fault came up (2 weeks ago) the engine warning light also came on. I took it to a local Ford garage - they said the error message was for the turbo but they'd done a visual check and it was ok, they also updated the software. The fault came back almost immediately so it's still ongoing.

I do rely on garages as I don't have the knowledge to work on it myself, is there anything I could suggest my garage checks when it goes in again?

There must be codes stored.

Set yourself up with FORScan and a decent lead, the next time the fault occurs, plug in whilst the fault is active and read the codes

• 7 months later...
On 10/3/2023 at 8:40 AM, HtotheP said:

I've got a 2018 Focus ST Line X, serviced every year. Intermittently over the last 6 months I get a spanner warning light and 'see manual' message on the dash and the car loses power. After turning the car off for 5 mins the fault disappears, acceleration is as normal and the fault doesn't tend to come back for another few weeks. I took it to my usual garage, they thought it was an issue with the wet belt but after investigating said that was in good condition. They advised using Super Unleaded petrol and taking it to a Ford dealer for a software update. The latest time the fault came up (2 weeks ago) the engine warning light also came on. I took it to a local Ford garage - they said the error message was for the turbo but they'd done a visual check and it was ok, they also updated the software. The fault came back almost immediately so it's still ongoing.

I do rely on garages as I don't have the knowledge to work on it myself, is there anything I could suggest my garage checks when it goes in again?

Hi Hannah, did you ever find the fault with this as my car is doing exactly the same thing. Thanks, Jake

39 minutes ago, JakeCooper89 said:

Hi Hannah, did you ever find the fault with this as my car is doing exactly the same thing. Thanks, Jake

Do exactly the same thing

On 10/3/2023 at 8:58 AM, DaveT70 said:

There must be codes stored.

Set yourself up with FORScan and a decent lead, the next time the fault occurs, plug in whilst the fault is active and read the codes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JakeCooper89 said:

did you ever find the fault with this as my car is doing exactly the same thing.

Same fault requires the same fault finding. Use FORScan and a vLinker FS cable.

No one could find what was causing the faults so we traded it in for a new car in the end, we were considering it anyway but this pushed us to do it faster. I had taken it to garages to read the fault codes while they were still in the system but they were different both times and the parts they related to weren't actually faulty, so getting a scanner might not help.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Do exactly the same thing

ok thank you

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club