Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alarm service required, wipers turn on and wont stop

Robert kiely

Hi everyone, 

im having a problem with my 07 galaxy. I got a message on the dash saying alarm system service required. Since then, the wipers turn on automatically and won’t turn off until I disconnect the battery. I read online that the problem is corrosion in the alarm siren box located in the passenger wheel arch. I took off all the panels but cannot find it. I really don’t care about the alarm, but the wipers are a big issue. Can someone point out where the alarm system might be? If I disconnect that will the wipers work normally again? Is there a fuse for the alarm system I can just take out? I also can’t find that, and there is no mention of an alarm fuse in the manufacturer book. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Recheck the passenger wheel arch. Remove the arch liner and the alarm is up top right corner from what I remember. Been a while since I've replaced those. 

Will see if I can find an image or such to show you. 

Screenshot_20240317-092854-435.png

• Like 2

Thanks a lot, I will try again. Do you know if i unplug it will the wipers work again?

54 minutes ago, Robert kiely said:

Do you know if i unplug it will the wipers work again?

Almost certainly not.

The fault with the wipers, and very probably the alarm system is more likely to be with the GEM (BCM on later models). It is possible that you have water ingress to the GEM which is a common problem on a lot of models.

Have you experienced this problem yourself to be able to say you are certain? I don’t understand how it could be water damaged considering the BCM is in the car under the glove box… 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, iantt said:

Recheck the passenger wheel arch. Remove the arch liner and the alarm is up top right corner from what I remember. Been a while since I've replaced those. 

Will see if I can find an image or such to show you. 

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help. If I unplug the alarm should the wipers work again like normal?

48 minutes ago, Robert kiely said:

Have you experienced this problem yourself to be able to say you are certain? I don’t understand how it could be water damaged considering the BCM is in the car under the glove box… 

I can only offer you advice from years of experience. Many models of both Ford and others like Vauxhall frequently get water ingress in to the Body Control Modules. How the water gets there is often never known, and sometimes it comes from faulty screen wash pumps like on the Mondeo.

Do I think the wipers will work normally if you disconnect the alarm system ? No.

The fault might very well not be water ingress to the GEM/BCM on your vehicle but it is worth looking at if you still have a problem with the wipers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

I can only offer you advice from years of experience. Many models of both Ford and others like Vauxhall frequently get water ingress in to the Body Control Modules. How the water gets there is often never known, and sometimes it comes from faulty screen wash pumps like on the Mondeo.

Do I think the wipers will work normally if you disconnect the alarm system ? No.

The fault might very well not be water ingress to the GEM/BCM on your vehicle but it is worth looking at if you still have a problem with the wipers.

Ok, will look into that, thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it 😊

1 hour ago, Robert kiely said:

...I don’t understand how it could be water damaged considering the BCM is in the car under the glove box… 

The 'boot' is inside the car. Do a search on this forum to see how many people (including myself) end up with a pool of water in the spare wheel well...

1 hour ago, Robert kiely said:

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help. If I unplug the alarm should the wipers work again like normal?

Might do, depends where the issue lies . 

On 3/17/2024 at 5:37 PM, unofix said:

Hi all, i can confirm that disconnecting the alarm siren does infact make the wipers work like normal again. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robert kiely said:

does infact make the wipers work like normal again. 

That's excellent news. I'm very much surprised, but as long as it's all working that's the main thing. 👍

4 hours ago, Robert kiely said:

Hi all, i can confirm that disconnecting the alarm siren does infact make the wipers work like normal again. 

Thats good, you found the alarm sounder then . design error locating the sounder where the scuttle panel drain comes out. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, iantt said:

design error locating the sounder where the scuttle panel drain comes out. 

Some times companies just don't learn by their mistakes. Focus Mk4 still has it located exactly where the scuttle panel drain is ! 🙁

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club