Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shudder through steering wheel on full lock

macaulays

Morning all,

Quick question for you; anything obvious that would tend to cause a bit of judder/shudder through the steering wheel on full lock steering? Most noticeable when doing a three point turn I a car park or moving into a tight space for example. Don't notice it the rest of the time but just in the last second or so as you're getting into the tight end of the maneuver you can feel a real vibration/judder through the steering wheel. Feels a bit like if you were sliding on gravel or something like that but happens on all surfaces/conditions. Stops when you ease off the turn from lock.

Anything springing to mind?

Electric Power Steering takes a lot of electrical power. At low maneuvering speeds the engine RPM is low and the output from the alternator is also lower. If the vehicle battery State Of Charge is low then the EPS struggles when under full load.

Check your battery SOC and either charge it for at least 12 hours or it might be time to replace it.

Ford - Battery SOC & Text.JPG

7 hours ago, macaulays said:

Anything springing to mind?

Have you checked the SOC yet ?

Untitled.png

We're actually away on holiday at the moment so don't have access to my charger I would normally use to check; I might try and get a battery check done at a Halfords or similar at our next stop (albeit a lot of pages seem not to like checking/changing batteries in the Galaxy because of the slightly awkward position quite far been in the engine bay in my experience!). Will see if I can find somewhere amenable... 

I've had a couple of other issues crop up which some other threads I've read seem to suggest might also be exacerbated by a slightly low output (bit of slight flicker on headlights when stopped, some slightly lethargic action from the Powershift feeling like it's getting a bit rumbly and revs dipping a bit when slowing almost like nearing a stall in a manual etc) so may be worth considering a preemptive renewal to see if any of those aspects are improved at all.

Is it originally an EFB or AGM battery in the 2.0 Galaxy does anyone know (doesn't seem to note in the manual)? Or doesn't matter?

Cheers.

It should be an EFB battery. Don't be tempted to change to AGM as the cars charging algorithm is not set up to deal with it.

Cheers, it's an 'Omnicraft' in it just now that doesn't actually say on it what type it is but Google suggests the Omnicraft one are all EFB so that seems to concur with your suggestion, even if all the online 'compatibility' tools seems to list mainly AGM handily! Will maybe try a new EFB this week and see if that helps any of these issues. Would love it to be a battery issue rather than p-steering or gearbox issue!

4 minutes ago, macaulays said:

Would love it to be a battery issue rather than p-steering or gearbox issue!

I'm 99% sure it is a low State Of Charge that is causing your issues.

Check your battery type/size/capacity on this site with your registration number:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/

• Like 1

New EFB battery fitted and so far, so good. No noted recurrence so far which seems positive - many thanks!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, macaulays said:

New EFB battery fitted

It's always worth charging a new battery for at least 12 hours when you get it. They are not supplied fully charged.

Glad to hear things look to be working now 👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club