Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking to buy an Edge

NewbySteve

Hi all

I'm looking to buy an Edge. 

Preferably 2017 or newer with a budget of £16k.

Now my heart wants all the bells and whistles, leather, sunroof, heated and cooled seats. But I also want an automatic. 

Lots of people have warned me off buying a car with the Powershift Gearbox, saying that they break and are expensive to fix. 

Some say that the box has an internal filter that's really hard to clean. 

As I really don't want to buy a car that's going to spend more time in a garage than on the road I would be interested for your suggestions and recommendations? 

My purchase will be from a dealer and I am more inclined to buy from one that offers some warranty with the car. Again any advice or experience good or bad would be gratefully appreciated. 

Many thanks Steve 

I have a 2019 Focus 2.0 diesel Automatic which I've owned for 4 years and so far so good, not had any issues with the gearbox.

@DaveT70 knows a thing or two about gearboxes, although being a BMW owner he tends to have some funny ideas 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a 2017 focus with powershift that has started experiencing issues that seem to be expensive to fix. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 10:56 PM, NewbySteve said:

Hi all

I'm looking to buy an Edge. 

Preferably 2017 or newer with a budget of £16k.

Now my heart wants all the bells and whistles, leather, sunroof, heated and cooled seats. But I also want an automatic. 

Lots of people have warned me off buying a car with the Powershift Gearbox, saying that they break and are expensive to fix. 

Some say that the box has an internal filter that's really hard to clean. 

As I really don't want to buy a car that's going to spend more time in a garage than on the road I would be interested for your suggestions and recommendations? 

My purchase will be from a dealer and I am more inclined to buy from one that offers some warranty with the car. Again any advice or experience good or bad would be gratefully appreciated. 

Many thanks Steve 

Most automatic Fords now have Powershift gearboxes. My last car, a Mondeo had one and my current car, my Edge has one too.

Thankfully I've not had any gearbox problems in the 8 years I've have a Powershift auto. The engine fitted to the auto Edge is a bit more powerful than the manual one. They are much more common too, so it's a lot easier to find a good one.

I've always preferred autos over manuals too, but if you can find a nice fully loaded manual like this 2017 ST-Line why not? Go for it Steve.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402266950190?sort=mileage&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=Sport&make=Ford&model=Edge&postcode=BH25 7ET&price-to=16000&transmission=Manual&year-from=2017&fromsra

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 67 plate auto (230bhp version) with 104000 miles. No problems with the Powershift. Thing to ensure is oil and filter change every 40k.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all in replying to my question. 

I've since bought a 67 plate St-Line with a manual gearbox.

Nice shiny black paintwork that the local pigeons love. 

In the end I plumped for a manual so not to run the risk of potential faults with the powershift gearbox. However I did want a sunroof and a few of the more the exotic bells and whistles. I didnt get these so my hope is that it's less to go wrong. 

It's first test is a run to Cornwall. I'm expecting a nice comfortable journey. 

I would appreciate if if you could tell me what you do about the following? 

What fuel do you use? Premium or supermarket 

How do you cope with stone chips? 

Do you have a bonnet that needs a push on the front to open? 

Thanks again

Steve

Sorry Pete

Do you remember what your link went to? 

It may be to the one I bought? 

Regards Steve 

To answer your questions in order:

Tesco fuel has served well for most of the almost 105000 miles.

Not been bothered by many. If you are, get a touch up pen.

No.

Let us know how you get on, and what mpg you get.

I would expect to get on a leisurely run to get 45+ in my auto.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim

Thank you for your reply. 

Well I treated the motor to some Shell V-Power for the journey down and Esso on the way back. 

Thought I might as well as it may stand a chance of doing some good in the long run. 

I have also bought some Poorboys Black Hole polish to try to keep the machine polished shine. 

As for MPG. I travelled mostly on cruise. On the way back to start with I set it to 65mph but got better MPG at 70. It topped out at 43. I would have liked a little more and I wonder what the sweet spot for speed vs mpg is? But for the next month it will only be undertaking reasonably small trips I shall have to wait a month before we go again to try to squeeze more out of a tank. 

Don't get me wrong as I'm under no illusion that I will achieve the Ford figures of 51.4. My last car was a Seat Altea XL that did 53 on average. But it was an average car and two thirds the weight. 

My only other niggle is that the passenger door mirror motor makes a noise when you unlock the car. 

I can't see any way of offering some lubrication to ease the movement. 

Kind regards Steve 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club