Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 facelift bonnet stuck - yellow latch cable detached

Tommymanc

Hi forum, 

I am hoping someone will be able to help here.  I am unable to open the bonnet due to the wire cable connecting the yellow under-bonnet latch and the lock mechanism has become detached (see photo).  The main latch in the passenger footwell is working properly, and it pops up the bonnet when pulled.  However, the secondary yellow latch under the bonnet is now completely loose and does not release the locking mechanism.  

Does anyone know how I can get the bonnet lock to fully release in this situation?  Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

Tom

choose files...spacer.png

How far does the bonnet lift on the first catch?  Effectively you need to do the same job as that cable, using a long, thin metal tool, to push the catch across, but the bonnet may not have enough height for that?

Alternatively you can jack it up, remove the undertray, reach up from underneath and then pull the the catch across with your fingers.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply.  The bonnet lifts up just enough for me to reach the actual lock, and I managed to unlock it by pushing it to the left using my finger.  

And this reveals what the problem is - the cable is actually still intact, but it is too slack, and the yellow latch does not seem to move far enough to pull the cable at all (see photo).  The left photo shows the original position of the yellow latch, the right photo shows as far as it would go.  As you can see, it is not a lot.  The other end of the cable is fitting tight to the bonnet lock.  

Is there a quick fix?  The yellow latch seems to be locked somehow.  Many thanks!

spacer.png

Looks like the cable has stretched.  Needs a new cable really.  Only available as part of the handle from Ford.

Genuine Ford Focus MK3 Focus Estate MK3 Bonnet Release Lever 1804625 | eBay

Best you could do for now is remove the cable from the lever so you can pull that directly instead of the lever pulling against it.  Or just push the latch manually now you know how it's done.

Brilliant, have now ordered a new unit, thank you very much for your help!

Have a great bank holiday weekend!

• Thanks 1

Looking at your two photos of the yellow lever it doesn't seem to be moving the cable at all (as you said). I can't remember how far the lever could move on our old Mk3 but I'm sure it ought to move a lot further than shown in the right-hand photo. Are you sure it's not just jammed at the catch end? Have you tried operating it once the bonnet is open to see what is actually going on?

Personally I think it's highly unlikely to have stretched as it's a solid wire inner.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club