Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transmission Fluid, Gear Box Problem??? :-(

ou.nikki

Hi, I just bought a 2nd hand ford focus estate 2.0 Ghia, Petrol, Maual, V 2000, mostly it seems fine has had quite a lot of work done on it all by Ford and been serviced by Ford with a full service history, was really pleased until I did a longer faster journey, when the car is slowing down in 5th gear and gets to just under 2000 revs, there is always a droning noise, until I change into 4th then the noise happens just above 2000 revs and is quieter the other gears are fine, so am assuming it is a gear box problem, logically I thought check the transmission fluid..............in my previous beautiful old Honda that got written off in the ice, there was a dipstick at the back of the engine and low down right pain to get to and to top up used to have to get a long roll of paper to pour the fluid down it was that awkward but I can't find anything like this on the Honda.

Would be very grateful for any help or advice, have just spent my last money on this and can't afford to be without a car.

MAny Thanks

Nikki :-)

Hi, I just bought a 2nd hand ford focus estate 2.0 Ghia, Petrol, Maual, V 2000, mostly it seems fine has had quite a lot of work done on it all by Ford and been serviced by Ford with a full service history, was really pleased until I did a longer faster journey, when the car is slowing down in 5th gear and gets to just under 2000 revs, there is always a droning noise, until I change into 4th then the noise happens just above 2000 revs and is quieter the other gears are fine, so am assuming it is a gear box problem, logically I thought check the transmission fluid..............in my previous beautiful old Honda that got written off in the ice, there was a dipstick at the back of the engine and low down right pain to get to and to top up used to have to get a long roll of paper to pour the fluid down it was that awkward but I can't find anything like this on the Honda.

Would be very grateful for any help or advice, have just spent my last money on this and can't afford to be without a car.

MAny Thanks

Nikki :-)

hi nikki its unlikely that your transmission fluid needs topping up unless you have an obvious leak however on 2.0 models the if you look at the lower front side of the transmission housing you will see the filler/level plug, it is the plug furthest from the engine and not to be confused for the blanking plug in the bellhousing. if the lubricant level is correct the oil should be at the lower edge of the hole. use an allen key, or allen socket to remove the plug. use a syringe of plastic tube to refill if required and let the oil drain out of the hole for a while to establish the correct level. refit plug.

you may want to check out the transmission mounts while your doing this to ensure they have not split or failed this could be causing the drone you hear!

hi nikki its unlikely that your transmission fluid needs topping up unless you have an obvious leak however on 2.0 models the if you look at the lower front side of the transmission housing you will see the filler/level plug, it is the plug furthest from the engine and not to be confused for the blanking plug in the bellhousing. if the lubricant level is correct the oil should be at the lower edge of the hole. use an allen key, or allen socket to remove the plug. use a syringe of plastic tube to refill if required and let the oil drain out of the hole for a while to establish the correct level. refit plug.

you may want to check out the transmission mounts while your doing this to ensure they have not split or failed this could be causing the drone you hear!

Hi thanks for the info, it did come with a new mot so would if split or failed would that not have been picked up on the mot? think it might be a job for the mechanic to have a look and if anything serious will have to take it back to the trader, blooming nuisance, I always used to be lucky with cars but the last 4 years I have had no luck with them lol, knew I should have trained as a mechanic when I left school!!! Nikki ;-)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club