Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where Is My Starter Motor??

Can anyone please tell me where my starter motor is located on my 2003 MK3 ford Mondeo Zetec petrol 1.8

If anyone has a link on how to remove/replace this also that would be great!

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary,

I've actually got a started to do on a mondeo over the weekend. Never done one on a mondeo before but from what i have gathered it has to be done from underneath.

Usually the are held in with 2 or 3 bolts and 2 electrical connections, one of these will just be a spade like terminal and the other is a heavy power cable which needs unbolting.

Remember to disconnect the battery before going near the starter motor with a spanner! it has a permanent live feed from the battery so shorting it out and welding your spanner to the car is easy!

hopefully someone will have some exact details on its location, take care,

stef

Hi Gary,

I've actually got a started to do on a mondeo over the weekend. Never done one on a mondeo before but from what i have gathered it has to be done from underneath.

Usually the are held in with 2 or 3 bolts and 2 electrical connections, one of these will just be a spade like terminal and the other is a heavy power cable which needs unbolting.

Remember to disconnect the battery before going near the starter motor with a spanner! it has a permanent live feed from the battery so shorting it out and welding your spanner to the car is easy!

hopefully someone will have some exact details on its location, take care,

stef

Hiya Stef,

Do you know if it is located in the back or front of the car and do I need to remove anything in order to get to it? My mate offered to do it for me for £50 but i dont really feel like parting with that much money for something I can possibly do myself!

Is there a guide anywhere that gives you a rough idea of what to do?

Cheers

Gary

Front right As you look at the front of the car, near the gearbox bellhousing, comes off and is removed by wiggling it out near the front left wheel.

I've done it 3 times first time took most of the day, last time a few hours, there is very little access, it's a pig of a job just because there us no access.

Front right As you look at the front of the car, near the gearbox bellhousing, comes off and is removed by wiggling it out near the front left wheel.

I've done it 3 times first time took most of the day, last time a few hours, there is very little access, it's a pig of a job just because there us no access.

Cheers for that, would you say it would be easy enough for a DIY enthusiast to attempt. I was also told to to possibly check my earth wire as it could just be this that is not connected fully causing the starter motor not to fully go.

Do you know what tools I will need in order to get the "pig starter" out!!

Cheers

It can be dine by the home mechanic, no problem, it's just fiddly.

10mm, 13mm, sockets and spanners.

Two 10mm nuts hold a metal cover over the starter remove this to access the main two bolts holding the starter on, thetly don't come all the way out due to the radiator but you can pull them out enough to drop the starter.

Access the back of the starter and remove the bolts holding the cables on, make sure battery is disconnected first.

Wiggle starter out via left front wheel arch.

When re fitting put the bolts in the starter first, they can't be put in after the starter is in place.

Also refit the cables before putting the starter in place..

It can be dine by the home mechanic, no problem, it's just fiddly.

10mm, 13mm, sockets and spanners.

Two 10mm nuts hold a metal cover over the starter remove this to access the main two bolts holding the starter on, thetly don't come all the way out due to the radiator but you can pull them out enough to drop the starter.

Access the back of the starter and remove the bolts holding the cables on, make sure battery is disconnected first.

Wiggle starter out via left front wheel arch.

When re fitting put the bolts in the starter first, they can't be put in after the starter is in place.

Also refit the cables before putting the starter in place..

Thanks for that snapper, I will try my level best to give that a bash over the weekend and see how it goes B)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club