Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hoping For Help

ashley1986

I have a 57 plate fiesta 1.4 tdci zetec. I have tried finding a thread with this issue on but to no avail.

During winter when the temp gauge says it is lower than 11 degrees i more often than not get a cog with exclamation mark pop on with a red light and the car then goes into limp mode.the odd thing is that when it is above this temp it dosnt happen.

According to the book this is a drivechain issue. Iv had this checked out but there is nothing wrong. Im wondering if this is a fuel filter issue? Any help would be appriciated.

Have you had the ECU read for faults? If the lights are coming on and the car's going into limp mode it's likely something has been recorded.

When it does happen, does restarting the engine fix it or do you have to wait for the temp to come back up?

Maybe a good idea to have the diesel filter changed mate,

in freezing temperatures diesel particals can become gloopy and turn to a wax like substance and if your filter isn’t free flowing the wax particals will restrict the flow within the pipes.

Maybe a good idea to have the diesel filter changed mate,

in freezing temperatures diesel particals can become gloopy and turn to a wax like substance and if your filter isn’t free flowing the wax particals will restrict the flow within the pipes.

Would that give warning lights if that was the case? You would get sluggishness and maybe stalling which I guess could feel like limp mode but I'm not sure you would get a warning light like the original post describes?

By diesel filter is that the fuel filter i guess?

Turning it off and on sometimes helps. It never happens the rest of the year. Only when it is cold.

The codes were done when it first happened but the ford garage checked them and said that it was all ok. They thought it was the wheel spinning on ice then the ecu was stuck in a loop until they were cleared. This was done when i had a service. After it didnt happen till this winter!

Would that give warning lights if that was the case? You would get sluggishness and maybe stalling which I guess could feel like limp mode but I'm not sure you would get a warning light like the original post describes?

Hi mate,

i dont think it would cause a warning light on the dash mate, so their may be somthing else at fault too, but the filter is worth a try i reckon anyways.

By diesel filter is that the fuel filter i guess?

Turning it off and on sometimes helps. It never happens the rest of the year. Only when it is cold.

The codes were done when it first happened but the ford garage checked them and said that it was all ok. They thought it was the wheel spinning on ice then the ecu was stuck in a loop until they were cleared. This was done when i had a service. After it didnt happen till this winter!

Hi mate,

yes the diesel filter is what im talking about, i reckon its worth a try anyway.

Actually Lenny, might be best to confirm this though...

you have your standard "diesel" filter - i.e. fuel filter - which will be close to the pump.

you may also want to consider the "diesel particulate filter" which is next to the cat, if the fuel filter itself is fine, then it could be the exhaust is being choked up with the contents of the particulate filter.

Check if you have the DPF, and also if it is due a service / replacement, as these are common times for the problems you are describing to potentially arise...

Hi

I bought a 2002 Ford Focus in a lovely red colour today. I had it for a few hours before putting some more petrol in it. The buying of a new car was an experience akin to pulling my own teeth out, but I got there in the end. I was so happy.......

Tried to reverse to get to another petrol pump at a snails pace, so carefully and somehow some low down stickyout thing scratched the corner of my bumper. The scratches are deep but its not cracked the bumper.

IM A TOTAL IDIOT

I have to repair it because everytime I think about it my blood pressure rises and I know my eyes will focus on it everytime I drive my car. Im a bit OCD about things like this.

Does anyone have a rough idea what this type of repair costs to fix?

Thanks ; (

1. When I say new car ,I mean a car that didn't belong to me before. Im a student albeit a mature one, so 2002 is the best I can do £ wise and I still love my car despite its age.

2. I know I can't see the scratches while driving, I just mean, when I walk up to the car and the white scratches beckon me to look at them in order to torment me.

: )

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club