Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic Headlights Staying On!!

a19rsy

Hi,

I have a 1.8TDCi Titanium (2007, 57 reg) with automatic headlights, and was wondering where the sensor is located, as when the lights come on after going through a tunnel etc, they stay on and do not go off. I have tried to turn the lights off and then back on to the auto switch, but they still stay on. The only way I can get them off is too turn the engine off, then on again and then they turn off. Can anyone help??

Thanks

Pete

Pretty sure it is located on the front windscreen at the top in front of the rearview mirror, the auto wiper sensor is here also.

Mine come on when i enter a tunnel but 5 or 10 minutes after they go off

Mine come on when i enter a tunnel but 5 or 10 minutes after they go off

That's not right either... Mine stay on between 15-30 seconds depending on the ambient light conditons upon exiting the tunnel...

I rarely have mine switched to "auto" i must admit... I think the lights come on a bit too soon for my liking, it's a pity there isn't a sensitivity adjustment like there is for the auto wipers.

I just leave mine on auto and let it do as it likes. I'd rather they came on too soon than to forget and join the idiots that don't put them on at all.

I just leave mine on auto and let it do as it likes. I'd rather they came on too soon than to forget and join the idiots that don't put them on at all.

Likewise it doesn't bother me really leave the lights to there own devices

Totally agree with the last 2 posts. Mine usually come on through a tunnel and go off after 20 secs or so, but there has been times when they have stayed on for longer periods after exiting a tunnel and sometimes in sunlight they have stayed on for majority of journey! Dont know why this is but its not really an issue so I leave it to its own devices!!

I'd rather they came on too soon than to forget and join the idiots that don't put them on at all.

You wouldn't forget... Having the auto headlights feature wouldn't make you forget to switch them on when it goes dark, the dials being too dark to read would give it away that it was dark outside and my lights were off... B)

These motors that pootle about with the lights off (ignoring all oncoming traffic flashing at them) DO they never glance at the speedo on the journey? If they did they'd surely quickly realize that they can't see the gauge because it's unlit, thus giving the game away that the car lights aren't on! I mean, what are these people looking at/thinking of as they drive along? :wacko:

It's nearly as annoying as those that indicate OFF a roundabout, but not ON to one. :angry:

I'd rather know what you are INTENDING to do, not what you've ALREADY done... :unsure:

The dials light up on most Fords as soon as the ignition is on and only dim when you put the lights on. So some people think the headlights are already on.

Got to agree with you when it comes to people who dont know how to indicate on roundabouts. How did they pass the test?

Gawd knows mate... They did what they were supposed to on the day i guess... Then chose to copy others using innapropriate signals without giving it much thought i suppose...

So the later model foci dashlights illuminate with the ignition do they? I didn't know that. What's the reasoning behind that then do you happen to know?

No idea why they light up straight away. You still have the lights on icon on the dash that comes on when you do switch them on, but in a well lit street, you see your dash lights up, some forget and drive off without their lights on.

Think lots of cars have a lit up dash once the ignition is on. I know my pop's Avensis is like that, completely dark when the car's off and then lights up like a Christmas tree once you turn the key. Must be the only 'excuse' for the amount of morons that do it.

Going off-topic a bit here but a couple of months back I flashed an oncoming stealth driver in the dark...and he must have thought I knew him and gave me a flash back! It was only then (as this was just leaving a street-lit area) that he noticed his headlights weren't on!

A week before this, I encountered a woman in a black Corrolla Verso who pulled out a junction behind me...I would have flashed her before it, but no doubt she would have taken this as a concession of right of way and pulled out in front of me when I'm doing 60 and she was 20 yards away! Anyway, I slowed down and flashed brake lights at her, rear fog lights, even turned my lights on and off (road was well lit and empty so wasn't causing any danger), but nothing seemed to work. I stopped at a roundabout and I flashed more lights, and then she had the audacity to sound her horn at me! Needless to say she was a tad embarrassed when I got out and told her the lighting extravaganza I'd been performing for the previous 500 yards wasn't me showing off but trying to point out that she'd no lights on. Her response, "I didn't even notice, sorry."...says it all really.

Anyway, I digress!

Yup... Sounds about right! :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club