Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot Light Mod (Dual Light Option, Red Or White). I Need Some Advice

Rain

So here is what I would like to achieve.

1. Replace the current boot light with a much stronger white LED (the factory standard boot light is rubbish)
  2. Add second light on the left side of the boot (currently there is only one on the right side of the boot)
  3. Add red LEDs to either side of the the boot (I would like to have a very powerful ones if possible)
  4. Add some sort of rocker switch, so so I can choose which light I want to have on (i.e. white or red)
    • So lets say I normally would like to keep the red ones on but if I would really need some extra light (white light) then I could hit the switch to change the light.

I have been inspired by Lennys guide so I'm sure that changing and adding a second white LED light can be done. I'm not so sure about adding the RED ones if its very doable (regards how hard or easy that might be). I do have some concerns but I would at least like to try.

My main concern is the available space in the boot where to add these red LED's and a some space for a rocker switch. Let's be honest in this respect there is not much room to play with. This is below is how I envision it.

This is how the right side of the boot is. Could I potentially use the hole (as circled on the photo) as a place to add the red LEDs (mabye some sort of massive and powerful pad)? Or is it like this for a reason and it's not an option?

right_side_boot_light_zps0c8724cb.jpg

The below is how I would like to do the left side.

left_side_boot_light_zps444c7e08.jpg

I also need some advice with the rocker switch. I had something like this on my mind. http://www.ebay.co.u...=item337c466dbf

It has three pins but looking at the electrical scheme on this eBay page I'm finding it hard to understand how I could use it to serve the purpose that I'm after.

Looking at another rocker switch, this should definitely do the job. http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20cc3510a5

But again it does have 3 pins. If its just 3 pins that it would take, then I would prefer the first one.

Any ideas, suggestion are very welcome. Apologies if there are some errors in my spelling as I'm not English.

I understand exactly what you are thinking of.

The second type of switch would work fine.

You would be able to flick to the middle for all off and either way from middle to select one or the other circuit.

There lights would work find in pairs-

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=120978263984

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=220842248836

If you need help to figure out the wiring layout I'll be glad to assist.

I was thinking of using an LED strip light set up. I have replaced my boot light with an LED, but it is still as much use as a chocolate tea pot. My next plan is to ditch that light and on each panel as in your pictures (left & right) have a strip of self adhesive 12v LED lights, the sort that can be bought on eBay for a few pounds. I have a few metres left, so in the next week or so I'll be putting a strip on either side, removing the LED I have at present and wiring the strips into the original light.

That should ensure lots of light in the boot, something severely missing at the moment with Ford's original fitment. Once done I'll post a pic or two :)

Thank you Stoney. When the time comes I will gladly ask some advice with the wiring.

Thanks for the links. The LED pads were exactly what I had on my mind. I will place the order in for the red ones and also order the correct rocker switch.

1. Regards the white LEDs, this pad looks quite big to fit in to the current plastic hosing. So would these LEDs fit in to the the current boot light plastic housing or I would have to give up of these and cme up with something else. Its bit hard to judge how big they actually are.
  2. The holes where I plan to put the red LED's are these actually required for something. Why are these like the are (open)?
  3. If it would be you, would you stick them inside that hole and stick the to the top (as option 1 on the photo below) or would you try to keep them flush with the hole opening (as option 2 on the photo below), or maybe keep them hanging slightly above lets say 5-10 mm.

The only thing I would be worried about is that with option 1 it would cast a shadow.

left_side_boot_light_b_zps885097ec.jpg

Any thoughts?

I was thinking of using an LED strip light set up. I have replaced my boot light with an LED, but it is still as much use as a chocolate tea pot. My next plan is to ditch that light and on each panel as in your pictures (left & right) have a strip of self adhesive 12v LED lights, the sort that can be bought on ebay for a few pounds. I have a few metres left, so in the next week or so I'll be putting a strip on either side, removing the LED I have at present and wiring the strips into the original light.

That should ensure lots of light in the boot, something severely missing at the moment with Ford's original fitment. Once done I'll post a pic or two :)

Please do so as I would like to see how your idea pans out.

Not sure but, maybe this would fly?

The schematics would be a sort of cross section view of the compartment and the hole (looking from the back seats).

schematics_LED_lights_perspex_glass_zps6825f7ac.jpg

This could potentially even squeeze in both white and red LED's and I wouldn't have to bother with cutting in a another hole (except for the rocker switch)

For size reference, this is a 48 LED panel compared with a standard boot light lens-

Lens is 3cm by 5.5cm, LED light is 4cm by 5.5cm.

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

12 LED panels like this one- http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e6e708ec8 is 2cm by 3.2cm and as in my photo will fit exactly into the stock bootlight lens.

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

I used one of these in my glovebox and it is pretty bright for it's size.

You could combine 2 standard lenses with the 12 LED panels with red LED strips which you can then stick up along the back edge of the boot trim to spread the light out evenly.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cc87089ce

left_side_boot_light_b_zps885097ec.jpg

Thanks for your reply Stoney. I have some ideas how to do it.

Look forward to the results on this mate,

Its all possible.

Glad to be of assistance.

Any further thoughts or questions, we're glad to help.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club