Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice/experiences Of Windscreen Replacement

SeaGrey

My windscreen was hit recently while driving on the motorway. Whatever hit the screen was large enough that I saw it bouncing along the road before hitting me - I think it was something metal, i.e. a large bolt. Anyhow, the screen didn't crack (unlike my eardrums from the 'bang' noise it made !). Credit to the Saint Gobain glass that Ford use.

There is some damage, in at least three places as the object sort of rolled up the screen. They're more like very heavy grazes, and not sharp scratch lines, or deep chips. But you can feel them when you rub your finger nail over them.

Anyhow, I've contacted my insurer and Nationwide are booked to assess the damage next week. I've made sure they know mine is a Titanium, and in case they decide to replace the screen, I just want to check what I need to make sure is working afterwards:

ClearScreen heaters (not sure how to test this when it's not frosty)

Auto Wipers (not sure where the sensor is for this)

Auto-lights (maybe nothing to do with the windscreen, just the rear-view mirror)

Before and after position of the wipers (assuming they get removed).

Does this sound correct - what else will need checking for functionality ?

Nationwide have said they'll use a Pilkington screen. My car is 3-1/2 years old, so out of warranty, so I probably can't expect anything better than Pilkington via insurance.

I will first try and get Nationwide to repair the window, i.e. polish out the marks. In my view, a replacement is the last resort as I'll just be worried about the fitter doing a crap job.

In my experience, as soon as any work is done to your car, it's usually not as good as what was there originally, and you soon appreciate the quality, tools and skills that Ford used back at the factory - if you know what I mean !

What would you do in my position - has anyone had any recent bad experiences with having a wind-screen replacement ?

I could just leave the scratches as they are and ignore them, and pay nothing ?

My windscreen was hit recently while driving on the motorway. Whatever hit the screen was large enough that I saw it bouncing along the road before hitting me - I think it was something metal, i.e. a large bolt. Anyhow, the screen didn't crack (unlike my eardrums from the 'bang' noise it made !). Credit to the Saint Gobain glass that Ford use.

There is some damage, in at least three places as the object sort of rolled up the screen. They're more like very heavy grazes, and not sharp scratch lines, or deep chips. But you can feel them when you rub your finger nail over them.

Anyhow, I've contacted my insurer and Nationwide are booked to assess the damage next week. I've made sure they know mine is a Titanium, and in case they decide to replace the screen, I just want to check what I need to make sure is working afterwards:

ClearScreen heaters (not sure how to test this when it's not frosty)

Auto Wipers (not sure where the sensor is for this)

Auto-lights (maybe nothing to do with the windscreen, just the rear-view mirror)

Before and after position of the wipers (assuming they get removed).

Does this sound correct - what else will need checking for functionality ?

Nationwide have said they'll use a Pilkington screen. My car is 3-1/2 years old, so out of warranty, so I probably can't expect anything better than Pilkington via insurance.

I will first try and get Nationwide to repair the window, i.e. polish out the marks. In my view, a replacement is the last resort as I'll just be worried about the fitter doing a crap job.

In my experience, as soon as any work is done to your car, it's usually not as good as what was there originally, and you soon appreciate the quality, tools and skills that Ford used back at the factory - if you know what I mean !

What would you do in my position - has anyone had any recent bad experiences with having a wind-screen replacement ?

I could just leave the scratches as they are and ignore them, and pay nothing ?

The windscreen heater will turn on if it's connected so the light will come on in other words.

The sensors will and should come fitted to the windscreen and only a simple matter of plugging in the cables and sticking the mirror on.

The sensors cover light and wipers you can cover the sensor with your hand will should trigger the wiper and lights.

Wipers should be seated low as possible but not touching the edges of the windscreen or touching each others.

check the edges around the windscreen that it is even and not leaning heavily onto one side, don't be super picky about this though it's being installed by a man not a machine. Should be a straight forward fit tbh you might need to leave the car parked for a few hours depends on what bonding glue is used.

To check the heated screen put a cup of hot water on the dash and see if it clears the steam off the glass.

• Like 1

Watch them and make sure they put the heated screen electrical ribbon connector under the scuttle panel back correctly if they leave it dangling and unattatched the wiper arm will wear it down and the screen wont work

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Nationwide said I'm not covered for a bad scratch, only a chip. There's a possibility that the fitter will claim the damage doesn't warrant replacement, i.e. he will classify this as a scratch.

What are the guidelines on this ? I hear all the time about people getting chips on their windscreen. Maybe I was just really unlucky to have a large item hit my windscreen but not actually chip it, just scratch it in a few places.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club