Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Snagglepuss Build Thread Lenny's New Whip

Lenny

Neither, 1994 yamaha dtr125, bought it off mate blown up cos he 22 clem and its a 125 2 stroke thats 19 years old lol, engine stripped and its junk so got another, then updated the look by changing the tank seat, plastics etc from newer spec, then thought I want to supermoto it, so bought a set of aprilla rs125 wheels and been making them fit, once all trail fitted complete strip down, blasted and coated and painted then rebuild and use in summer for commute.

from this

043_zps77dc279a.jpg

to this so far

004_zps52ccc398.jpg

Nice project mate,

That's one hell of a transformation, wheels and brakes are looking sweet so is the body looks great

• Like 1

Cheers mate, sickened myself with car projects so thought I would wean myself back in with something smaller to get the love back, by the way small doesnt mean easy as I have found out LOL, take care and look forward to the updates of the car, has Vicky found the love for it yet lol.

• Like 1

Cheers mate, sickened myself with car projects so thought I would wean myself back in with something smaller to get the love back, by the way small doesnt mean easy as I have found out LOL, take care and look forward to the updates of the car, has Vicky found the love for it yet lol.

Thanks,

I imagine it would be a lot of connections in tight spaces and elbow joints etc.

And regarding Vicky..

No not a bit lol I'm sure she will be on to tell you that herself :lol:

• Like 1

Small update:

After 3 years of driving diesel I've just gone and purchased 4 x NGK BKR6EIX-11 iridium IX spark plugs on eBay,

Got them for 24.87GBP saved over 10 euro compared to walking down the local motor factors.

The needle tips are completely gone on the basic model NGK currently fitted to the car, so replacing should make a considerable difference,

I'll update with images of old plugs compared to the new; when they arrive

Petrols are much cheaper to service than dirty derv's, I nearly pooped myself when I bought my service kit, the fuel filter was a lot to do with it.

• Like 1

Cheers mate, sickened myself with car projects so thought I would wean myself back in with something smaller to get the love back, by the way small doesnt mean easy as I have found out LOL, take care and look forward to the updates of the car, has Vicky found the love for it yet lol. [/quote

Iove it !!!! Id sooner jump on your bike than even like the hash mobille george !!!

• Like 2

Petrols are much cheaper to service than dirty derv's, I nearly pooped myself when I bought my service kit, the fuel filter was a lot to do with it.

Thanks for the pre warning mate,

I've got to purchase a service kit for the focus in February 192,000km on it now :lol: still on its first turbo god bless its little fins

Hopefully I'll get away with not changing induction filter, pollen filter or fuel filter,

Just get oil and filter change aswell as front brake pads, I'm not going to ford for service anyways,

Local independent will do nicely for both motors.

I'll be happier when I get the Levin serviced,

Ive picked up a genuine oil filter and some toyota for life engine coolant,

Got a tesco voucher from work for Christmas so going to use it to purchase a bottle of Castrol magnatec 5W-30 along with the turkey lmao

I should change the fuel filter and ignition HT leads aswell for maximum efficiency well as much economy as a 20V blacktop can give :lol:

• Like 1

Cheers mate, sickened myself with car projects so thought I would wean myself back in with something smaller to get the love back, by the way small doesnt mean easy as I have found out LOL, take care and look forward to the updates of the car, has Vicky found the love for it yet lol. [/quote

Iove it !!!! Id sooner jump on your bike than even like the hash mobille george !!!

Ill lend lenny it so you can go for a spin Vicky :D

• Like 1

Thanks for the pre warning mate,

I've got to purchase a service kit for the focus in February 192,000km on it now :lol: still on its first turbo god bless its little fins

Hopefully I'll get away with not changing induction filter, pollen filter or fuel filter,

Just get oil and filter change aswell as front brake pads, I'm not going to ford for service anyways,

Local independent will do nicely for both motors.

I'll be happier when I get the Levin serviced,

Ive picked up a genuine oil filter and some toyota for life engine coolant,

Got a tesco voucher from work for Christmas so going to use it to purchase a bottle of Castrol magnatec 5W-30 along with the turkey lmao

Sadly the timing belt is approaching expiration hopefully it won't snap before march,

I've spotted kevlar timing belt for 100 pounds looks the business, its blue aswell so matches :lol:

Price mounts up though; water pump, belt tensioner, idle pulley, and auxiliary belt overall looking around 280pounds including the timing belt but has to be done and will last 100,000km so all considered not so bad

I should change the fuel filter and ignition HT leads aswell for maximum efficiency well as much economy as a 20V blacktop can give :lol:

Take the jump and do it yourself, not the fuel filter though cos they can be pigs to bleed, get some of those snazzy gloves from work to protect those delicate little fingers lol.

• Like 1

Sweet! Id be like the john Connor in terminator 2 with a ghetto blaster banging out Guns N Roses :lol:

• Like 1

Eh just lend it to me thanks ....Ill leave him at home with the kids

• Like 2

Eh just lend it to me thanks ....Ill leave him at home with the kids

But but but your a girl Vicky :ph34r:

• Like 1

But but but your a girl Vicky :ph34r:

I am???? One second going to check lol ...us mere girls are quite good at controlling things between our thighs ...ta very much

• Like 1

I am???? One second going to check lol ...us mere girls are quite good at controlling things between our thighs ...ta very much

First mistake Vicki, we let you think that.

Sorry Lenny if you get some stick now, but Vicki had to learn the truth some day :D

• Like 1

First mistake Vicki, we let you think that.

Sorry Lenny if you get some stick now, but Vicki had to learn the truth some day :D

I'm speechless George :lol:

As previously mentioned,

Here's some pictures of the washer hose fitted.

Image3988_zps0dd97165.jpg

Image3989_zps3ce2e1de.jpg

Image3990_zpsdca85aaf.jpg

Image3992_zpsb27eddf0.jpg

• Like 1

Funny today,

I got home from work at 07:15am

Fed up filling a 5ltr can with petrol and pouring it in to the Levin in the driveway,

I purchased a bottle of redex on the way home from work,

Got home, picked up the empty 5ltr can and put half the redex bottle in to it,

Put the 5ltr bottle inside the levin and took the Levin out for petrol,

Short trip on back road up to the local reliable source of good fuel.

I got there and filled the 5ltr can containing redex,

I then poured the 5ltr mixture in to the levins 50ltr fuel tank.

Strange sight I was.

Standing in a fuel station next to a fuel pump,

Pouring a jerry can in to the car :lol:

While pouring it in to the Levin,

The shop owner came out to see what I was doing,

When he saw it was me he said "ah sorry, its only you,, when I saw the car, I thought it was someone dodgey only one seat inside and tricking with a fuel can... no tax disc on display or anything.....

I began to laugh and explained that I was mixing up some fuel additive in the can prior to adding to the main tank and filling it up,

Straight away I then began to think vickis opinion of the Levin is spreading.

But I got it filled to the brim with redex mixed in, quick check of the VTEC on the way home then swiftly back in the driveway now until February, no more messing with lots of 5ltr runs to the fuel station.

I also purchased a set of these from New Zealand mate,

For along the bottom of the rear side windows

newsticks_large_zps1427af73.jpg

• Like 1

PMSL, I was going to say only in Ireland would you see this LOL, Crap I have said it, Tell Vicki you would like a gold cap on your tooth and a really chunky chain and see what she says mate. :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I put the interior of the car back together last Sunday 22nd with the exception of the rear passenger interior panel and the centre console because both parts are heavily scratched, I'll be making a trip to co.mayo in the end of January to collect replacements along with some dash vents.

On the 22nd prior to refitting the parts,

I went to tesco and purchased three cans of vanish stain remover aerosol cans of foam,

I took the 3 cans along with a pair of gloves, sponge and the interior roof lining in to the bathroom,

I sprayed on the vanish and rubbed in in circular motion in to the roof lining,

I then left it for 20 minutes to react with the material,

Followed by standing the roof lining up in the bath and washing it with the shower,

I then dried with a hairdryer before bringing it out to the car,

When I had it in the car and fitted,

It was still a bit damp,

So I run the electrical extension lead out to the car and sat an electric convector heater inside the car with the windows open 1'' heat it up and dry it out.

Steamed up the windows quite a bit :lol:

Image3995_zpso4wfbk3e.jpg

I must take a picture of the headlining now,

The vanish has made a big difference to it, saving me money on re upholstery fees.

Anyways in the process of putting the car back together,

I noticed a cool seat belt warning indicator built in to the dash and for warning the passenger to put on there seat belt :lol: I've no idea what it says but looks good and flashes when someone sits in the passenger seat without seat belt on.

. Image3998_zpslkorkzz8.jpg

Image3999_zps8syv7yju.jpg

Image4001_zpsxw4aqc4y.jpg

Image3996_zpsjsngqf1h.jpg

As previously mentioned on the thread ive been piecing togeather required service items,

purchased some Castrol Magnetic 5W-30, genuine Toyota oil filter, holts electric window lube and some Wynne's engine flush

The final item; NGK iridium IX spark plugs arrived on tuesday 23rd December,

Image4004_zpsckew71bc.jpg

So i built up the courage yesterday to have a try at servicing the car myself

Image4003_zpszsml08c_edit_1388163347569_

Starting with the Spark plugs,

I took the specific socket from the tool set that has the built in rubber grip which aids removal of the old plugs preventing them from slipping out of the socket.

Image4005_zpsgwqsqcqf.jpg

On removal of the old plugs they look pretty worn compared to the iridium IX

Image4007_zpsqbomidmo.jpg

Image4008_zpsd8tsqtvu.jpg

I removed and replaced the plugs one by one preventing risk of foreign objects getting in to the combustion chambers,

The instructions for fitting says to hand tighten the plugs in to place then secure with a half turn of the socket.

When I had all four plugs replaced,

I turned the key,

Although I didn't notice any difference in engine tick over,

The engine response has greatly improved perticurally on the higher revs the engine responds to the throttle much better.

• Like 1

Yesterday I went out and changed the oil&filter aswell as using the Wynne's engine flush,

I should have taken a picture of the oil dip stick prior to changing the oil,

Because it was relatively clean and close to golden brown.

But after I had added the WYNNE'S engine flush the oil became very dirty,

Even though the Wynne's is a clear substance it unlocked loads of dirt from the internals.

The only tools

I went out to the shed and picked up a 20kg empty plastic bucket,

I put it on the ground next to the car and marked a line on the bucket for cutting,

So as the bucket would slide under the sump and catch the oil.

After I had the bucket cut,

I began to read the instructions on the can of Wynne's engine flush,

it says "run the engine until heated to normal operating temperature"

So I started the engine, left it running and went for a cup of tea in the house while keeping an eye on the car through the window.

25 minutes later the engine was at operating temperature,

I stopped the engine, as instructed,

Poured in the can of Wynne's engine flush,

Started the engine again,

Held the revs at no more than 2,000rpm for 20 minutes,

Fluctuating the revs between 1,000 - 2000rpm periodically causing surges within the system to give it best results.

Exactly 20 minutes later,

I stopped the engine,

Opened the bonnet,

Got underneath the car and put the half cut bucket under the hot sump plug,

I then identified the correct socket to remove the sump plug and began to unscrew.

Around 1 minute later,

I had the sump plug in my hand and the oil was quickly flowing in to the bucket,

However in the process of removing the sump plug, I hit my elbow off the bucket causing it to move,

Resulting in oil spilling on to the driveway :rolleyes:

IMG_20131227_163819_zpsag9gn7gz.jpg

While the oil was pouring in to the bucket,

I opened the oil filler cap on the engine,

This allows ambient air to enter the system,

Allowing the oil to escape much quicker.

Now with the oil sump plug and oil filler cap removed,

I placed them on a J cloth in the engine bay to prevent misplacement.

Image4011_zps0n1j5tni.jpg

The next task was removing the blueprint branded oil filter,

I don't have an oil filter removal tool and I hadn't thought of one until I burned my hand on touching the filter in an attempt to unscrew it :lol:

It wasn't budging,

Luckily I had a vice grips that spread wide enough for me to get a grip on the filter and with a few attempts eventually remove it,

I wasn't expecting it to bleed oil when removed,

So this surprise added to the oil mess on the driveway aswell as the exhaust manifold :rolleyes:

Image4010_zpsib6pnizk.jpg

The instructions on the box of the Toyota filter says to smear some new engine oil around the filter seal prior to !Removed! on to the engine,

So with that done I screwed the Toyota filter in to place.

Image4012_zpshxnkjq9_edit_1388163274235_

Image4014_zpsaqrgfvbb.jpg

Now again I missed the oil filter tool,

But I've hand tightened it as best possible and there's no leaks,

My next journey will be down to my local mechanic for exhaust fitment so I'll ask him to tighten or check its ok when I'm there.

I then replaced the copper washer on the sump plug and tightened it back up using a socket drive spanner.

At this point I missed not having a funnel to aid pouring in the oil from the 3ltr bottle,

In an attempt to improvise,

I had an empty 1ltr bottle from Castro Edge,

So I poured/measured two 1ltr fills from the small bottle in to the engine,

I then checked the oil level using the dip stick and poured in a little extra as required.

Cleaned the engine oil filler cap and closed it up,

Image4013_zpsvg6mzqnw.jpg

All done,

I quickly started up the car and reversed it back to reveal the bucket of oil and spillage beneath,

I left the engine running idle at this point to allow the new oil circulate aswell as check for signs of leak,

While the engine was parked away from the spill and running,

I tackled the spill,

IMG_20131227_163612_zpsdkh3tzrj.jpg

IMG_20131227_163653_zpsxgdrjj8n.jpg

I poured the bucket of oil in to some 2ltr coke bottles for environmentally friendly disposal at the nearby recycle centre,

As for the spill on the ground,

I picked up this stuff,

. Image4016_zps0ikb0f1y.jpg

I have to be honest :)

When I saw "made in Ireland" printed on the tin, I thought "this stuffs a load of !Removed!"

But to my surprise it worked a treat and left very little staining on the driveway,

Unfortunately I've used the whole bottle but I believe if I purchase another tin and treat the slight stain that remains on the drive, I reckon the stuff will remove it too.

IMG_20131229_161149_zpsoydhc14o.jpg

Overall,

I'm very happy having son the service myself,

It is unfortunate about the oil spill but on the scheme of things, could have been worse,

No oil leaks now except for the can cover oil seal which needs replacement,

Common fault on the 4AGE and the rubber seal costs less than 30 pounds.

• Like 1

Although I didn't notice any difference in engine tick over,

The engine response has greatly improved perticurally on the higher revs the engine responds to the throttle much better.

Found the same thing when I did my plugs :)

• Like 1

Found the same thing when I did my plugs :)

Sweet, did you fit iridium plugs aswell or just noticed when you upgrade your plugs in general,

And did it help your MPG at all ?

Sweet, did you fit iridium plugs aswell or just noticed when you upgrade your plugs in general,

And did it help your MPG at all ?

Nah I just fitted standard NGK, and as for the mpg, well it's a 1.1 fiesta and I got 31 mpg on my last tank - I have a heavy right foot. It did run smoother though, as the plugs were the originals 17 years old and done 30,000 miles. :)

• Like 1

Would you say it was worth fitting the iridiums?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club