Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blown Intercooler Hose?

Stoney871

For the last couple of days I've had a loud whooshing noise when hitting 2500 rpm and above which sounds like a hoover running up.

This morning the sound got louder and flashed up an engine fault light which reset on restart.

As long as I keep acceleration gentle and don't over rev the engine the light doesn't flash up.

I'm guessing the intercooler hose has split but due to bad weather I haven't taken a look at it yet.

Anyone swapped out this hose and have any pointers, tips or horror stories?

Does sound like maybe an inter-cooler or boost hose from the noise you describe. Have you taken a look at it yet?

Ten minute job Stoney if it's the top one just make sure that when you put the jubilee clip below your expansion bottle the screw is not touching the bottle as it will wear a hole in it by chaffing cost around £30 for a silicone one

i got a silicone one from derby performance hose and got my dad to help me replace mine. was bit of a pita job due to access.

Well here's the evidence-

6b1f130b-abc1-4c3f-b021-a471a0762c44.jpg

I have to wait until tomorrow to get a replacement from the Stealers, £60 !!!??!!.

Apparently they don't 'stock' just the rubber bit which means the metal pipe leading to the main intercooler hose itself is part of the set, Robbing Gets.

If it wasn't for the fact I need the car in A1 condition ASAP I'd get a silicone one off eBay and cut out Ford totally.

Unfortunately not an option but my Brother-in-law has his own garage so will fit it for me for beer money so not too bad.

£60, Ford wanted to charge me £120 for the two hoses eiother side and the intercooler pipe as well :| what the choof! your dealer is at least protecting you as they bend you over, seems mine just wanted to go raw on me! lol

I think it"s because the parts guy knows what I do gor a living therefore knows if he tries screwfing me he'll get a taser up his orifice ;)

For reference the fault code I got was P0299-

Turbocharger/Supercharger "A" Underboost Condition

For reference the fault code I got was P0299-

Turbocharger/Supercharger "A" Underboost Condition

Yes, the leak would have been venting air/ reducing boost pressure and the turbo working harder ti try to maintain it, it would have had an effect on performace and economy and your exhaust was liable to be "smokier"

Shame you cant wait for the silicone hose(s) quality silicone hoses last longer because they are not affected by oil - the oily film that builds up on the inside of bosst hoses that comes from the engine breather actually "melts" or breaks down the rubber stock hoses are made from over time, and with the heat and mechanical stress....

Glad youn are getting it sorted but for future reference you can fix it temporarily with gaffa tape/ old bits of hose over it/ extra jubillee clips

Totally agree about the silicone hose.

I'll get the clip positioned on refitting so that it's easier to access just the bend section then later get a silicone piece to replace the stock part.

It's obvious that oem parts are junk.

Well here's the evidence-

6b1f130b-abc1-4c3f-b021-a471a0762c44.jpg

Looks EXACTLY the same as mine. Noticed a greasy oily deposit on the front wing, like prints left by someone working on the car. Opened the bonnet and found this.

It seems a common place for the pipe to fail.

It's still drivable as long as I don't rag the nuts off it and keep revs below 2500 rpm (i.e. avoid making maximum turbo boost).

Bit of a granny way to drive and embarrasing when I had to let a little Mitsubishi ovettake me yesterday but when the hose is sorted all bets are off ;)

I'd love the statistics concerning the MTBF of the intercooler hoses.

Also why do the tight beggars not fit silicone hoses as standard if they are far better quality and have a longer service life?

I'd love the statistics concerning the MTBF of the intercooler hoses.

Also why do the tight beggars not fit silicone hoses as standard if they are far better quality and have a longer service life?

So they can charge you to fix it - same as DMFs, EGRs, DPFs etc even aux belts - they make a fortune out of these things - they must last untill the warrantee runs out, then fail at regular intervals - not too soon but not too long either

Then they want the car to cost too much to fix when it gets old so you have to buy a new car, it is even styled so it will look dated in the future (inherent obsolescence built in) - the ultimate disposable consumer item = the car

The £60 rubber hose probably cost under a fiver to make - a silicone one probably costs a little bit more, but they worked out the rubber one lasts for x years / xxk miles so it saves them X amount on every car -

£60, Ford wanted to charge me £120 for the two hoses eiother side and the intercooler pipe as well :| what the choof! your dealer is at least protecting you as they bend you over, seems mine just wanted to go raw on me! lol

They don't them your local 'stealers' for nothing! :lol:

• Like 2

new hose arrived today!! WooHOOO!!

(ordered Sunday evening)

Hose fitted, DTC cleared and a 'gentle run' ;) on the local A roads and the Pup is back in business.

I don't like having to sort out faults but it's so nice to have one so easy to diagnose and cure.

I was going to offer to send you one but glad you got it sorted!

Car is running nicely again, thete was a bit of lumpiness in the throttle before the pipe went but now it's nice and smooth.

Nice and sharp to (ahem) 70 and pulls like a train again.

No more granny driving :p

Car is running nicely again, thete was a bit of lumpiness in the throttle before the pipe went but now it's nice and smooth.

Nice and sharp to (ahem) 70 and pulls like a train again.

No more granny driving :P

Sometimes, after a phisical change,(or repair) an ECU reset helps, the performance/ economy as the ECU may have been "getting used" to the hose leaking, and it may have been leaking (getting proressively worse) for longer than you think

Glad you got i sorted and it wasnt anything serious

• 7 years later...

Hi does anyone on here know what silicone hoses I need to complete my boost pipes on a mk2 2.0 tdci focus as I can only find one which is the 1 on the left of the y shape thing under the bonnet that goes to the intercooler I'm wanting to buy the full set but cany find a set anywhere online thanks

22 hours ago, R19p0n said:

Hi does anyone on here know what silicone hoses I need to complete my boost pipes on a mk2 2.0 tdci focus as I can only find one which is the 1 on the left of the y shape thing under the bonnet that goes to the intercooler I'm wanting to buy the full set but cany find a set anywhere online thanks

You might want to consider starting your own topic instead of resurrecting a thread that hasn't had any updates in 7+ years.

(Must people won't even bother looking because they can see it's a really old thread).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club