Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Do Insurers Own My Modifications?

jeebowhite

In the event that the insurance company do write off my motor... Do the mod's belong to them?

I.E. if I remove the bulbs, or remove the stereo.... would I be kicked for it? or does it not matter?

The likes of the DRL's. the Radio (really fond of that!) and the LED's are all what I would like to keep and pass on to the next motor if it gets written off!

If it doesnt... then I might have to remove these and sell the car on without them!

Did you tell them about the modifications? They'll try to wriggle out of their obligations in any way that they can so be ultra-careful what you say.

If you still have the car in your possession, I'd put it back to standard sharpish, just in case, and keep your mouth shut.

Hi matey, they are aware of the mods I just don't want to lose some of the expensive ones if I can claim it back...

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Whatever you declare is insured , so if the cars written off they pay you out for the car and everything you had insured so yes the mods are included.

You cant just get something paid out for by the insurance but also get the item back too, its one or the other.

Dammit here was hoping.. Well if they do write off I might ask if I can buy some mods back....

You could take them out as soon as you have an accident and hope they don't notice, but if they send an assessor he/she might have a list of the mods you declared and check to see if those are there. If you didn't specify the exact radio or other items, you could always try switch them for a cheap version.

Eg take out the fancy radio and put in a cheap one, then if they ask say you knew it was worth less than the original one but thought you had to declare it because it wasnt standard ;)

or just ask to buy the car back. depending on the damage, you may be able to fix it cheaply, or it may work out cheaper to buy the car than to buy the same mods new again.

thats true, to be honest, theres only about £50 of LED's and a £130 radio, otherwise the rest is pointless! It would have been nice but not really worth it!

At least you've an excuse to go out and buy a new stereo. (when you've got a motor to put it in, that is).

Sadly., I dont think I will be so lucky!

The money would have to go towards paying bills!

Are you paying extra for the mods?

On my insurance they are aware but do not cover the mods. i.e. if I have an accident or the car is written off, they will only pay to put it back as standard.

I'd love to know where I stood on this, as they are not covered, but you have to give the car up if its written off?

Where does an accessory stop and a modification begin though...

Well, I just spoke to them and they said that I can remove the mod's and replace with factory standard (in the event that they write it off!)

so, if someone has a 6000cd radio that doesnt work... that would be awesome!

• Like 1

Good to know, I still have the original spoiler for my car in the loft. I imagine it might vary between insurers though.

Thats one of the many things I havent touched on my motor! :p

When I rolled my rover when I went to collect my belongings I ripped out the stereo and they paid up with no mention of it being gone (considering it going in the crusher) I guess if they did question I would of said it must of flew out in the crash lol

Sent from my HUAWEI P2 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Have you had an accident James? or you planning an insurance job? lol

lol, not a bad answer there Richard :p if I can pick one up for a few quid though, I will be happy!

Byron, sadly I have been crashed into! a Zafira decided my boot looked a homely parking space, £1890.59 of damage :D

When I rolled my rover when I went to collect my belongings I ripped out the stereo and they paid up with no mention of it being gone (considering it going in the crusher) I guess if they did question I would of said it must of flew out in the crash lol

Sent from my HUAWEI P2 using Ford OC mobile app

I have been thinking about this thread and i wonder if you could remove "portable" items that were in the car - like headrest dvd players, windscreen mounted sat-nav etc

Now, if some of your accesories were "removable"/ "portable" shurely they could be removed in the event of an accident too-

like boost controllers, gauges mounted in pods etc etc obviously they would have to be easy to remove/ not "hard wired" etc

Portables can definitely be removed as you say hard wired though...

Did you see my post concerning your radio swap Fella?

Hi Clive not yet will look at my other threads

lol, not a bad answer there Richard :p if I can pick one up for a few quid though, I will be happy!

Byron, sadly I have been crashed into! a Zafira decided my boot looked a homely parking space, £1890.59 of damage :D

Ah sorry to hear that mate, as long as your ok though.

Will you be getting another cmax?

Hi Byron,Sadly I think I will be sidestepping the CMAX, I can get some mondy's which are going to be equivelant good family cars, but the CMAX is going to cost a few quid more than I will be paid out for mine (if it dies off!)

Also, I fancy a change, for a 2.0 Mondeo I can get more for my money than a CMAX of a 1.6 Diesel variant...

Hi Byron,Sadly I think I will be sidestepping the CMAX, I can get some mondy's which are going to be equivelant good family cars, but the CMAX is going to cost a few quid more than I will be paid out for mine (if it dies off!)

Also, I fancy a change, for a 2.0 Mondeo I can get more for my money than a CMAX of a 1.6 Diesel variant...

Just seen your other thread about accident so updated now. End of day mate your still walking albeit with a sore neck. Could be blessing in disguise as you did have the CVT CMAX, that it's self was a ticking time bomb

If they do write off then yes it possibly is a blessing in disguise but a painful and generally unwelcome one at that lol

a Zafira decided my boot looked a homely parking space, £1890.59 of damage

I thought Vauxhalls came off the production line needing £1,890's worth of spend to get them roadworthy?

(I once owned a Vectra. It was crap.) :s