Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offside Front Wheel Squeaking At Low Speeds

matt141085

Hi,

I have just had a new set of discs and pads fitted on my 59 plate Fiesta Zetec S and since then my offside front wheel is making this horrific squeaking when driving at low speeds.

I have had a mechanic take a look, even took the brakes off and refitted differently to see if the squeak can be stopped! This obviously hasn't worked and even he is stumped by my predicament!

It is is best described as a rotational squeak and it sounds like a giant mouse is squeaking as the wheel is turning, however it stops making the noise after I get over 30mph. It seems to only do it once I have been driving a little while in start/stop traffic!

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be, or had the same problem?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies!

post-53240-0-01607000-1397152766_thumb.j

Have your mechanic run your front wheels up on his lift. Hopefully, you'll hear the squeak. Then have him remove the pads and run it up again. Does it go?

It's possible you have a wheel bearing in the early stages of failure.

Hi, thanks for the response.

My mechanic has tried this but conveniently it never seems to squeak when I need it too! (The irony)

It seems to have died down a lot on the "squeaking front" the last couple of days but is doing it every now and then!

We came to the conclusion it might be the bearing too! There are potholes everywhere at the moment and I have not been able to dodge them all unfortunately!

Just seeing how it goes for the next week and then will replace the bearing! Hope this does the trick! However not looking forward to the bill considering I just shelled out for a major service/discs and pads!

I will update this thread if I do get some sort of diagnosis!

Many thanks again!

Your more than welcome.

It shouldn't cost to much for a front wheel bearing. Cheep on fleabay. I have fitted them to my mondeo and had no problems. I'm a technician so done mine myself. Took me half hour a side, but I have a press at work to remove and install the bearings. Main dealers will charge you a fortune, go to your local back street garage and it will be less than half the price and I bet they won't mind you supplying your own part.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Hi to anyone reading this,

Just an update on the squeaking situation!

The squeak came back after appox 2 weeks so I booked it in for the wheel bearing to be replaced (Ford part).

This lasted all of 24hrs before the squeak came back, so now I can't help feel like like I wasted £190 on a bearing that clearly did not need replacing!

Does anyone have any clues as to what else is connected to the wheel that could create a rotational squeak?

I think I am losing my mind now!!

wheel bearing wont squeek, it whines.... ford should have checked before fitting you a new one....

copper greased pads to calliper? copper grease disc to hub? piston not getting stuck? tried bleeding both callipers to see if there is a tiny air lock?

the only other thing is the drive shaft that rotates

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Hi.The squeak could be a multiple of reasons. 1st is the noise more likely when brakes applied or their new pads and needs bedding in. Doe's the caliper have elasticity (Free play) all components.  Or Slightly caliper. Is that Road wheel brakes getting hotter through seized parts. 2nd Suspension bushes ( Dry) if this is apparent you can try to eliminate by lubricating with WD40. Maybe if you have time on your hands. Lubricate one or two at a time. (One side). Road test to see if noise stops. And eventually will come back. Reason being WD40 will dry out and stop lubricating. Then at least you can then minimise costs down too one or two worn bushes. See you have to put suspension and Anti roll bar under a load. ( Unsprung and Sprung Mass.) 3rd. Coil Springs fatigue also some manufacturers use a (rubber slipper) to minimise noise between spring and Macpherson Struts. If this has been damaged over time. This can cause squeaks. 4th. The top hat on your Suspension. (Turret). Which is mounted under the wheel arch and bolted via Nuts or bolts. Access to the bolts or Nuts will be under the bonnet. The Rubber can dry out and cause squeaks. If Manual transmission. Check that their is no Squeaks whilst engaging and disengaging gears via Clutch mechanism. 5th. Engine and gearbox mounts. Getting dry. 6th check your rear suspension and brakes and Anti roll bar system. Unfortunately noise can travel. Hope these pointers will help. Regards Micheal, 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club