Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Service- opinions please

Ballie_3

Hi guys, my car will be needing its first service pretty soon, im just wondering should i go to the mechanics that i used to use for my old car (they are very reasonable, will stamp the service book etc) or should i pay the extra and get it done by the dealership? Just wondering what 'more' the dealership does to warrant paying so much extra. any opinions would be appreciated :)

I will be sticking with Fords to do mine, their service is cheap in comparison to what we were paying for our Mercedes and BMW services lol. Also get nectar points too!!!

I will be sticking with Fords to do mine, their service is cheap in comparison to what we were paying for our Mercedes and BMW services lol. Also get nectar points too!!!

lol. i think i might just pay whatever thehigher price is and get it done by the dealers, any ideas what they actually do on the first service? Im not the best with cars, just get in them and drive, any problems i get my dad to sort them :) . . think i have been persuaded to use the dealership though, just because i can get Nectar points :D

Thanks Michelle

Hi guys, my car will be needing its first service pretty soon, im just wondering should i go to the mechanics that i used to use for my old car (they are very reasonable, will stamp the service book etc) or should i pay the extra and get it done by the dealership? Just wondering what 'more' the dealership does to warrant paying so much extra. any opinions would be appreciated :)

To be honest if you have a mechanic you know and trust then I would go to him - as long as he uses the ocrrect ford parts (which if you asked him I am sure he would) then you will not be affacting the warranty

lol. i think i might just pay whatever thehigher price is and get it done by the dealers, any ideas what they actually do on the first service? Im not the best with cars, just get in them and drive, any problems i get my dad to sort them :) . . think i have been persuaded to use the dealership though, just because i can get Nectar points :D

Thanks Michelle

oooops. didnt realise i had posted that twice :(

thanks for your reply Paul. have you got any ideas what it is that they actually do on the service as i really have not clue. i really am torn between the two, as i said, the mechanic that i know is very good, reasonable on price, he recently serviced and MOT'd my dads focus and was very reasonable. . ahhhh decisions decisions :unsure:

oooops. didnt realise i had posted that twice :(

thanks for your reply Paul. have you got any ideas what it is that they actually do on the service as i really have not clue. i really am torn between the two, as i said, the mechanic that i know is very good, reasonable on price, he recently serviced and MOT'd my dads focus and was very reasonable. . ahhhh decisions decisions :unsure:

No idea what they do - my old company Peugeot 406 broke down after I had had it for 3 years and I was not even able to open the bonnet - so I guess I am as bad as you

As for the Fiesta, the law has now changed so that servicing is not limited to franchised dealers to maintina the warranty so you are able to go wherever you want now and if you know someone who is good, cheap, reliable then I would go there. Its not like it is a Porsche, Ferarri, Rolls, etc., where any futue buyer of your car would prefer main dealer stamps - Fiesta buyers are going to be happy with it being regularly serviced.

Has anyone paid for the 3 year servicing plan (either as a one off payment or by monthly instalments)?

No idea what they do - my old company Peugeot 406 broke down after I had had it for 3 years and I was not even able to open the bonnet - so I guess I am as bad as you

As for the Fiesta, the law has now changed so that servicing is not limited to franchised dealers to maintina the warranty so you are able to go wherever you want now and if you know someone who is good, cheap, reliable then I would go there. Its not like it is a Porsche, Ferarri, Rolls, etc., where any futue buyer of your car would prefer main dealer stamps - Fiesta buyers are going to be happy with it being regularly serviced.

Has anyone paid for the 3 year servicing plan (either as a one off payment or by monthly instalments)?

If you are going to keep the car 3 years and if you intend to have it serviced at a Ford dealers, then the service plan is a good price. Was around £430 when I bought my car, never took it out though, not sure if it's the same price now.

Some dealers do their own, Polar Ford do one where you pay interest free monthly installments over the service plan term which ru ns from 2 to 4 years. You also get other benefits like:

Inflation Proof Prices are fixed for the duration of the plan.

10% Discount On any accessories, including fitting.

10% Discount On all mechanical repairs, brake pads, tyres and associated labour.

Free Courtesy vehicle* or local collection and delivery service. Alternatively we offer an appointment based while you wait service.

Free Wash and Vac on every service.

Free Puncture repair including new valve and wheel balancing.

Free Policy transfer to your next vehicle

Free Visual safety report.

Free Summer or winter health check.

Plus Tyres from £19.95

Plus 1/2 Price MOT.

When I phoned them up, I think they quoted me £470 for the 3 year plan which worked out slightly dearer than the Ford plan. Still works out at £150 per service which this day and age isn't too bad.

Again, I never bothered as I can't guarantee I'll have the Fiesta in 3 years.

I never bothered as I can't guarantee I'll have the Fiesta in 3 years.

So is it not transferable then like the MINI one is?

If you ask the dealer he will be pleased to provide you with a copy of the service schedule - at least, that's what it says in my handbook! Also available free from the Ford Etis web site.

Think a full service with ford is about £175 plus nectar points rofl x

I've got a shed load of nectar points but what do you do with the pigging things?

Hardly anybody gives you them nowadays and if you want to exchange them for anything decent you need millions of them. :ph34r:

Give me Tesco any day plus I get my Clubcard points which you can do something with...... ;)

Back on topic, as it's a brand new car, I recommend Ford because you know that everything's been approved and you will have a comeback if something goes wrong.

But then again, I'm very happy with my dealer as we get excellent service all round.

I went with the 3 year service plan as it comes with an extra 2 years of AA cover and my dealer did a breakdown of how much each service would cost. Worked out about £200 cheaper. Least I know I'm sorted :D

My OH is a mechanic so he will be servicing mine.

Ford always did my other fiesta.

Saying that I would feel more drawn into a car which had always been serviced by main dealer as some mechanics can be dodgy (but there again bet some main dealers are too)

thanks for all your replies guys, im still torn between the two. think i might pop down to the dealership then on my way to work, just see how much they quote me for the service :)

My Ford dealer quotes £145 for the Annual service, £210 for a third year service and £37 for a brake fluid change; all prices include VAT. I was never offered a 3 year deal, so might investigate that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club