Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wing Mirror closing issues

flight

Hi there, I'm new and after any insight as to why my nearside mirror won't behave.

It started clicking about ten days ago - realised that once closed (during locking) it continued trying to close, 'falling over' itself and clicking in the process.

Clicks about 6 times then gives up. Happens every time I lock it.

Took it to dealer as still under warranty (under a year old - it's the 07 Climate model) and they said it wasn't covered because it has exterior damage.

I noticed it has a tiny chip out of the plastic beneath the painted section, about a cm wide - but no marks around this to suggest it has been knocked or hit. I don't recall knocking it and neither does my mother who also drives it.

The paint is unmarked, just one little section of black casing is somehow gone like someone's taken a chisel to it.

The guy from service who gave m,e the keys back agreed it was odd, but it has only occurred to me since that perhaps the chip was caused by the fault, ie a part within is knocking or exerting pressure on the casing, so over time has knocked out a little piece?

Does this sound at all plausible, and if so is there a way I could demonstrate to our dealer that this is an effect of the fault and not a cause?

I might be way off but am atruggling to see how the chip has been caused. I didn't see it when the fault originally caught my attention, which leads me to suspect it may have occurred later.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Its probably because when they send the defective mirror back to ford, ford will probably say its damaged and the dealer will not get paid. So the dealer simply wont take the chance on it i expect.

Its probably because when they send the defective mirror back to ford, ford will probably say its damaged and the dealer will not get paid. So the dealer simply wont take the chance on it i expect.

Thanks for replying Steve. I imagine that's the case. I took it in again yesterday and they said the same thing, that they can't find what's wrong with it and won't admit it's an internal fault. Grrrrr!

I'm getting a Haynes and taking it to bits myself, and taking pictures of what I find - if it looks suspicious - I might come to the same conclusion as the dealers but I would have liked to watch them doing it yesterday, I'm interested anyway as I'm a biker and always like to get involved with repairs and so on : )

Thanks again. Might have better luck with an independant garage I suppose!

remember if they know you have taken it apart then any warranty is void on that particular mirror (not that you are getting anywhere with ford anyway)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there, I'm new and after any insight as to why my nearside mirror won't behave.

It started clicking about ten days ago - realised that once closed (during locking) it continued trying to close, 'falling over' itself and clicking in the process.

Clicks about 6 times then gives up. Happens every time I lock it.

Took it to dealer as still under warranty (under a year old - it's the 07 Climate model) and they said it wasn't covered because it has exterior damage.

I noticed it has a tiny chip out of the plastic beneath the painted section, about a cm wide - but no marks around this to suggest it has been knocked or hit. I don't recall knocking it and neither does my mother who also drives it.

The paint is unmarked, just one little section of black casing is somehow gone like someone's taken a chisel to it.

The guy from service who gave m,e the keys back agreed it was odd, but it has only occurred to me since that perhaps the chip was caused by the fault, ie a part within is knocking or exerting pressure on the casing, so over time has knocked out a little piece?

Does this sound at all plausible, and if so is there a way I could demonstrate to our dealer that this is an effect of the fault and not a cause?

I might be way off but am atruggling to see how the chip has been caused. I didn't see it when the fault originally caught my attention, which leads me to suspect it may have occurred later.

Any thoughts appreciated.[/quot

wow my mirror does the same but for 7 clicks.I thought it was just my car.

• 8 months later...

Found this old string when searching about this problem that I am having with the passenger side wing mirror.

Just wondering if people got this issue resolved as I have been told the mirror is to be replaced under warranty as the motor is recycling so when the mirror folds in it keeps trying to do the same thing again causing the clicks.

• 6 years later...

I have the same problem with my 2008 1.4 fiesta zetec blue, the passenger side wing mirror was clicking away every time the car was locked and now the drivers side is doing the same. !Removed! annoying, scared to take it to my local garage who are extortionate at the best of times.

Guys a had this with the last car (fiesta 08 zetec blue) and I had it fixed by my local garage (because it done it within a week of purchase) but they said it was the gears on the motor that wore down and wasnt catching as good so a replacement mirror you can get for around 65 from breakers that fixes the issue

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club