Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Child Car Seat Tether Anchor

Maustin

I've got a Ford Focus MK2 54 plate and have just bought a Group 1/2/3 Isofix car seat for my child. Although the car seat has Isofix it's also got a tethered strap which according to the instructions needs to be anchored to somewhere on the car. Problem is I don't have anywhere to anchor it. I googled the subject but all the suggested locations for the anchors I don't have. However I did notice some screw holes behind the back seats which is where I'm guessing the anchor points would be (at least that's where they are on my wife's car). So my question is where can I buy the anchor fittings to screw in behind the back seats? Or is there anywhere else to which I can anchor the tether strap?

Do you have the isofix bracket fitted?

Yes but we had to fit it ourselves. Found the holes behind the backseat and bought an Isofix fitted off amazon.

The Focus MK2 does not have TopTether. At the time Ford designed the Focus MK2 TopTether was not being used. At that time most child seats did have a support leg (Foot Prop) to the floor of the car. The TopTether system replaces the support leg system.

TopTether was mandatory on all new vehicle types released after 02-2011. Many older cars did not have TopTether.

The current ISOfix standard covers actually 3 different standards.

1. "Universal" represents use of a top tether strap with the ISOFIX Anchorage.

2. "vehicle-specific" represents the usage of the ISOFIX anchorage without the TopTether in specified vehicles only.

3. "Semi-Universal" represents usage of the ISOFIX anchorage together with a "foot-prop".

In your case this means that you have the wrong type of childseat. Your childseat is based on the Universal ISOfix standard while your car is based on the Vehicle Specific ISOfix standard.

Some people use the luggage fixation points on the boot floor to attach the TopTether strap but this is a very bad idea. In case of an accident the boot floor may fold/crumble together. This can cause serious damage to the childseat.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi, 

To dig up an old thread - something's not quite right here.  Our 2006 MK2 Ford Focus Manual does indicate the the luggage points near the back seats *are* a top tether point.

1507155211089.thumb.jpg.a609c3a97d7eeb623564bde78812983b.jpg

In terms of the boot floor crash issue, the anchor point is so close to the back of the seats this seems not an issue in this case.

Thoughts?

IMG_20170929_000616.jpg

So, it gets even funnier....

When cleaning the car today I came across a sticker from the second official Ford ISO FIX kit (I had chucked it away from the first one), which at the time I had no idea about, so stuck it next to the bracket. However, this now makes perfect sense of the manual, as it is for placing in the boot near the behind the seat tether anchor point/luggage point (as highlighted in the manual in great detail).

IMG_20171013_101246.thumb.jpg.ee64be8feb917e889265104b7e6d2ad2.jpg

If this had a been as new/factory installed from Ford all of this would have already been installed in the appropriate places and the manual would have made perfect sense to start with! [emoji23]

Typical that there were no instructions about this in the kit or wider actual knowledge about it from Ford.

IMG_20171013_101254.thumb.jpg.d63f067d016247e6208c4f990b3c6ec9.jpg

• 1 year later...

on my mk2.5 focus i do not have tether anchor points but i do have  isofix bracket fitted , which came with the leather interior i fitted. so is isofix bracket enough or must for floor stand leg ?

yunii

• 10 months later...

Hi i bought a ford focus ztech 07 plate and it stated it haf isofix and top tether. Looking into it further it doesnt have either can i get these installed please

Hi i bought a ford focus ztech 07 plate and it stated it haf isofix and top tether. Looking into it further it doesnt have either can i get these installed please
Answered on your original post [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Hi, I’ve been reading this thread as I am trying to figure out where the top tether anchor for the middle seat of my 2013 Ford Focus is. I have 2 tether anchors on the back of the seats that I can clearly see on both outer seats but none for the middle? I found a diagram online that says the 2013 should have 3 anchors across the back so I’m mega confused, any help at all would be greatly appreciated 👍🏻, thanks 

I believe there is no central top tether as they are generally to stop the child seat from flippung forward and hitting the back of the front seats, obviously not technically an issue in the middle.
I can't say for sure whether the isofix rail spacing even allows for a central seat location on your car.

Btw I do have 3 tether points in my mk4.

4787e7f8c78505e5bc180577d92dc6ab.jpg

Hi @stoney871, thanks so much for your reply. After many MANY hours of research I thought I had cracked it as I found 2 isofix seats that could be used either side and then a slimline seat that is connected via the seat belt and top tether for the middle, all measurements of seats checked out.. thought I best double check for the tether anchor before ordering and find I don’t have any in the middle seat. Extremely frustrating when all documents online from Ford and info from seat manufacturer says it should be fine to use in the middle seat of a 2013 Focus. My husband rang Ford yesterday and the guy said it “should” have it but wanted us to bring the car in to look at it... by the looks of the photo you posted it definitely doesn’t.. Am expecting twins and already have 2 year old and can’t afford to change cars 😭. Don’t know what I’m going to do now 👎🏻, thanks for your help 

If you have a child seat unit that utilises the existing seatbelt and clamps the belt to restrict it rolling then it should be just as efficient as ones with the tether strap and isofix.

• 4 months later...

I have a Ford Focus 2008, we got a car seat with Isofix without realising the car didn’t have the Isofix brakets. Can this be installed? If so, where?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club