Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Project D-d

jeebowhite

Been doing some more work to the Dash Droid recently.

I recently needed to pick up some parts for the car, so managed to get hold of a pair of triangle trim's for the top of the stereo. I modified these and installed on one a round push switch (to replace the switch popping out the top) so now I can control the radio, and turn it on manually, by diverting power from the battery to the ignition live switch so the stereo turns on.

The DAB Radio app (Wavesink) doesn't like to share the USB dongle with a hub, so I have massacred a few USB cables, added a manual toggle switch and wired it in. so I now have (pictures forthcoming) a switch for the USB. Flick it to one side, and it connects the isolated DAB adapter, flick it to the other, and it connects to the USB Hub.

The USB hub will soon have an extension so I can connect a USB flash drive to the tablet, so I can transfer files. It will also have the JoyConn connected to it, so I can use the steering wheel controls with the tablet (taken me much longer to get other stuff done, so this is the next step.

Also I am awaiting a USB digital TV tuner coming in, that too will be connected to the USB hub, so hopefully, I can get TV streaming inside the car, though I dont expect much from it (first off, it was cheap, secondly, I am mounting that under the dash).

I have been running it installed now for quite a while, and I am glad I made the change. Sure, I have changed a few bits here and there, but I get clear sound, even on aux input under the new stereo, the sound is so crisp, its like its being broadcast, or played direct from a USB stick!

Even the GPS I thought would have issues is having no real issues, sometimes it takes a while longer to gather its bearings (on a particularly cloudly day) but it does catch up and it does get running perfectly!

For now though, I would guess I have spent £100 or so on parts? I will need to do a final tally of what I spent versus what I actually had once I complete the project.

• 3 months later...

Core functions completed :D Post 1 updated, post 2 written, so you have a how to build it. Next step is to finalise and tart it up, and then take a video so you can see what its all about! that will be post #3!

Video now uploaded showing the dashdroid in action :) enjoy!

Everything is still working spot on, radio signal needs a boost but otherwise everything works flawlessly. Now to find a good deal on payg mobile broadband...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

This is just a brillant project! And it is bespoke which makes it even better.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks David!

I have loved it personally, still keep finding little things to do for it, but at £40 a pop for most of these things...

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I dont think I can take the project further at the moment (at least) it needs a new DAB based aerial to ensure best signal, and where I wanted to put TV into it, I cannot find an adapter cable small enough to fit the antenna output.

Anyway, been running it now for quite a while, and its still spot on. I honestly dont know how I lived without it!

I would be willing to sell my services to get it all up and running in a box for someone, or at least give it a try :p

Hmm...soo...at a guess, what you you say the cost would be for a similar setup...

• Tablet to work with steering wheel controls
  • DAB
  • Standard FM Radio
  • Not bothered by mobile data (tether to phone)
  • Not bothered by TV 
  • Not bothered by CD playing capability

...for ohh...I dunno, a Mk2.5 Focus :biggrin:

(obviously for parts, postage and your time at an appropriate of beer tokens/hour lol)

lol

realistically, I would say this:

• Tablet to work with steering wheel controls: Depends new or used, I got a used nexus 7 gen 1 for £40 on eBay once, you would also need about £30 for the steering controls, Currently perusing eBay you could get a "faulty" Nexus 7 for as little as a tenner, that needs a new screen (£17)
  • DAB - after you account for all the wiring, you would need £~20 for the adapter, £10 for the right USB adapter, and about £20 for the splitter
  • Standard FM Radio - You would be best doing what I did, get a remote controlled stereo, I got mine for about £30 used with the wiring. Otherwise, I would say account for £40 - £50 for a decent stereo, and around £30 for wires.

All in all, to get a tablet android interface, with DAB, FM, wiring, you would also get SatNav, and other applications you desire to add, my guess would be around £170 with used parts for pretty much everything

If you already have a tablet that you want to re purpose, then that saves you a few quid.

The only other things you would need, is perhaps a cage (though I didn't bother)  for the stereo, and you would need an oval fascia to square.

You would likely need to measure the resistance yourself on your own switches, as I don't have switches for the Focus and they differ to the Mondeo, so you would need to assign keys yourself I recon :p

Maybe I should do a proper calculation :p

Used Nexus 7 - £40 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nexus-7-16GB-Wi-Fi-7in-1-Gen-/131773318734?hash=item1eae4d464e:g:C-wAAOSwGYVW-UM8

Brand New Stereo - £60 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-KD-X320BT-Bluetooth-USB-FLAC-Receiver-Mechless-Stereo-Tuner-/351029486264?hash=item51bafce2b8:g:DX8AAOSwwbdWQeW~

Joycon (steering ) -  (has gone up since I bought mine!) - £~32 - http://www.rcjoycon.com/base_3/menu_10.php?com_board_basic=read_form&menu=10&com_board_idx=25

Joycon could also allow you wire up other buttons / switches that would allow it to automate even more if you were interested.

Loom adapter - £~5 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT20FD05-FORD-Focus-2005-2010-Car-Stereo-Radio-ISO-Wiring-Harness-Adaptor-Loom-/401066760619?fits=Model%3AFocus%7CCars+Year%3A2008&hash=item5d617119ab:g:dFwAAOSwHnFVyhf5

IR repeater - £7 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IR-Extender-1-Receiver-4-Emitter-Emitters-Repeater-Kit-Hidden-Infrared-Remote-UK-/291618338526?hash=item43e5ceb6de:g:jn8AAOSwnGJWSunL

DAB aerial USB - anywhere up to £20 - Some as cheap as £6 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RTL2832U-R820T-DVB-T-RTL-SDR-DAB-FM-USB-2-0-Digital-TV-Receiver-Stick-Tuner-CD-/281561364981?hash=item418e5d79f5:g:j3EAAOSw-W5UtH6t

There is also an adapter if you use the standard aerial type you would need, thats a few quid (less than £6 IIRC) alternatively, if you dont mind mounting a magnetic mount aerial, you dont have to pay any more, otherwise you would need an aerial splitter...

For example: £18 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAB-Radio-Car-Stereos-Aerial-Splitter-Antenna-for-Sony-JVC-Blaupunkt-Headunits-/271011041309?hash=item3f1984501d:g:vh0AAOSw9N1VvyrU

If you want to do it all with brand new parts, you are looking at £200 +, if you have parts to recycle, you can save yourself more money. I think I even have some of the bits anyway. I think I did mine at the right time when the prices were good, but also if you bide your time and monitor for cheap deals online for used parts, you can save yourself even more money. thats all based on a quick search, with whats active online at the moment and what you can get.

To be honest it was a great bit of fun, but if you can afford, and are willing to buy a DAB touchscreen android head unit (£400+), it would be easier in the long run, but less customisable. Mine takes longer to do, but gives you a lot more control at the end of the day. The weakest link on mine, has to be the DAB. I dont know if the signal sucks here, or, if as I suspect, the issue is more with the wiring and the existing aerial not up to the task, most of the time, I just use my preloaded music and playlists though...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club