Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6tdi Fiesta 2012

CUDGER

morning folks, any issues with above engine. main concern is keeping it clear and not sooting up. I know in Vauxhall there used to what was classed as a regeneration? that it performed at certain speeds, on decent journeys. any help would be great, plus anything untoward we may need to know

thanks

All cars fitted with a DPF will have some form of regeneration cycle.

This takes place passively when you are on the motorway and the heat from high engine speeds will burn off the collected soot particles.

The problems start with active regeneration where the ecu injects additional fuel into the engine and adjusts the timing to increase the exhaust temperature and then burn the soot off. If you do a lot of short runs this is the killer for the DPF and potentially the engine as the unburnt fuel finds its way into the sump, raises the oil level to a point where the engine runs on its own oil and goes bang.

In addition to the very good advice above - regular oil changes are good practice - but even more important with a DPF equipped vehicle

And those oil changes must be performed with low ash oil suitable specifically for dpf equipped cars. Use the wrong oil and it will cause carbon deposits leading to turbo failure and engine replacement

now im worried, how often does this vehicle need to run 10 mile? journeys, and what happens if active self generation is cut short do to stopping ?

is there an indication the self generation is being performed.

and how often is often in mileage terms for the oil change. im going to search the web to find out if this vehicle has a dpf,

what would we do without you people

thanks

Every diesel built from 2009 has a dpf so you've 100 % got one same engine in my focus and I do the oil every 6 month or 3k regardless better to be safe than sorry £50 on quality oil and a filter is far cheaper than a new engine

10 mile journeys are not good for diesels - it'll be barely warmed up

oil will contaminate with diesel fuel from incomplete regen and the dpf will block up. Either take it for a really long motorway run each wwwk or sell it now

I have a 7 mile journey to work in my DPF equipt Fiesta, 6 of which are dual-carriageway. It has an EGR blank, Bluefin remap, never sees a drop of supermarket diesel, and I'm yet to experience any issues in nearly 3 years. Knowing the potential of DPF failure, I make sure the car has a long run once a month and is serviced to death.

Cats, DMF's, DPF's all have their faults, the biggest of which is people who do not understand them. A little understanding will make any part last the life of the car.

Every diesel built from 2009 has a dpf so you've 100 % got one same engine in my focus and I do the oil every 6 month or 3k regardless better to be safe than sorry £50 on quality oil and a filter is far cheaper than a new engine

Not every diesel, the Fiesta 1.6 tdci didn't get one until mid 2010 when Ford switched from the 90PS DOHC to the 95PS SOHC.

And the 1.4 tdci never had one.

Regardless, a 2012 1.6 tdci 95PS will definitely have one.

• Like 1

My bad I thought euro v meant dpf and I assumed all diesels in 2009 were euro v.. learn something new on here every day lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club