Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Behaviour After Timing Belt Change

MihkelJ

I had the timing and auxiliary belts changed on my 2003 1.4l petrol some weeks ago. After picking it up from the garage, on the way home it started stalling when coming to a stop or on low speed turns after getting up to speed (first time it happened was on a tight turn in heavy traffic, not fun to suddenly lose power steering there). As the garage had already closed, I drove it home like that, starting it up after every stall. Restarted without a problem.

Called the garage in the morning and told them to come pick it up. In the evening they said the car was fine and that they hadn't changed a thing. The only explanation they could give me was that maybe the timing belt had been changed previously and wasn't done properly, so this time it took the car's computer time to learn the cam/crank position. To me, that's hard to believe, AFAIK you have to set the timing tools before even messing with the belt, so they would've known the timing was off... Were they not telling me something?

But the car doesn't stall anymore. But, I don't know if it's related or not, the idle seems to be a little jumpy. It fluctuates just slightly (I mean less than 100rpm) and I can feel a vibration coming and going, especially through the brake pedal when stopped. I've suspected vacuum leaks before, as there's a hissing sound from the engine, don't know if it's normal or not. This might have been present before, maybe I'm just more sensitive after the belt problem. I do know they didn't change the RH engine mount nuts as the Ford procedure would require.

Also, when revving it very suddenly, there's a "choking" sound for a brief moment. Sorry can't describe it very well, will try to make a recording. Giving it gas normally, it revs up smoothly.

Any ideas?

Your right they should of 'flashed' the belt and timed it up before changing the belts as they can't just assume the crank and cam are in the correct positions. So maybe they didn't flash it at the start or at the end, I'd be very concerned if they didn't. As your valves and pistons could be knackered very soon, does your engine sound any different since you've had the belt changed?

Thanks for the reply.

It's not the newest engine anymore and not the smoothest either... As far as the sound goes, I can't really tell much of a difference. The only thing would be the vibrations. This is actually a time where I would hope for a check engine light just so it would give me a clue.

I'm going to check the plugs tomorrow and if all else fails, I could actually check the timing as I have the Ford timing tools. Was going to change the belt myself, but after reading horror stories about getting the crank bolt loose, decided against it.

Maybe they did reset the timing after I had them take it back, but didn't wan't to own up to it?

It's a possibility as if they had admitted to not doing something the first time round, you could of gone and said " oh I'm not going back there again" etc etc. So they probably didn't want to admit to being at fault sort of thing. Just re read your original post and you mention about stalling on slow turns, maybe check your power steering pump and other associated things as they might be getting on a bit and putting extra strain on the engine.

The power steering does make a slight whining noise when on full lock. Could it be that the new aux drive belt put too much tension on the pump at first? The new belt is a lot tighter than the old one (which seemed way past its last legs). Although it stalled when stopping in a straight line as well.

To check if the belt is to tight, you should be able to twist the belt 90 degrees with a small/medium amount of pressure if your having to put excessive amount of pressure then it's to tight. It will make a noise under full lock anyway as your putting it under more strain so in effect it's working overtime(you'll also notice the lights dim if they are on) same thing for the electric windows if you do them up or down when they are already open/closed.

But the auxiliary belt that drives the power steering is a stretch belt? There's no tensioner for it so unless they put the wrong belt on there, it should be very unlikely that it's too tight? It's a Gates belt, if I remember correctly. Would the same test apply for the timing belt? Of course, to get the timing belt covers off, I'd have to remove the aux belt and fit a new one..

Thanks again for your replies.

Same test would apply for the Aux belt as if it's to tight or to lose it sqeels it's nut off lol. Never thought about the wrong sort of belt that would affect it as well. you don't always think of those things do you as you've taken it to a main dealer, you just assume they get it right. Definitely worth a look into

The part numbers on the bill check out, all correct and good quality parts.

Anyway, will have a look around tomorrow, thanks!

• Like 1

You have been a great help! Throwing ideas around is what I need to resolve this mystery.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, no news or discoveries for this, other than plugging in my scan tool and noticing my long term fuel trim readings seem high, around -14%.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club