Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Note Book

Barry T

Hi

Just purchased notebook and need help setting up the bios Asus notebook X555LA-xx2282T to clone hard drive  using usb port. Has anyone done it? and can you boot up from the usb port .

This is my first laptop/notebook, I have assembled my own pcs for about 20 years, but not familiar  with setting up  the bios in this notebook   

Intend to upgrade the ram what is the maximum you can use, the type and where to buy from at a reasonable price.

All help appreciated

Barry T

As to the bios and drive cloning I can do it but can't explain it (as in I tend to do it without conscious thought).

For ram I go to crucial.com and download their compatability checker, that will give you the maximum ram and type you can use.

Hi Thanks Stony871.

The cloning part I can do on my pcs no problems, like you I do it without thinking. (To be honest the software does it all on its own)

I have tried to clone the hard drive, its a Western Digital so I use there software, but it comes up with an error in dos mode I assume its due to the usb being not set up to boot. I do not want to change the boot settings until I know what I am doing is right

My last computer build was almost 6 years ago so I am not up to  date with setting up the bios. ( it was not possible to boot from the usb ports). But I think it is possible with modern laptops/notebooks and pcs.

Do you have a laptop and do you boot from your usb ports ? The notebook came with windows 10 I would like to clone it in case I have a fault and also to try windows 7 on it.

Barry T

Mine boots from HD.

Generally if you want to insert a cloned drive it is best to turn off write caching, swap drives and reboot, reenabling write caching afterwards.

For cloning I use an external usb/Esata twin drive hot swap cradle.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club