Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lowering springs or OEM Eibach springs - advice needed

m1tch

Hi all,

I will be upgrading the suspension on my Mk6 later this year (just predeclared the mod on my insurance which comes into effect in a few weeks), just looking at springs and dampers at the moment. I am not looking to spend a huge amount, more of just a general refresh and upgrade as the car is on 111k miles and I know the stock front springs are known to corrode and crack.

I was thinking about keeping the standard shocks and maybe getting a set of OEM Eibach springs - am I correct that those would offer a slight drop in ride height and an improvement in handling, I am not going for full on lowering, more about slightly better handling with reduced body roll.

Probably looking for a max drop of 40mm but I know the Eibach springs have a 35mm drop which would be ideal, just wondering if it's worth going for a different aftermarket spring or if I should go with an upgraded Eibach OEM spring?

The car is my daily drive so I am wanting to keep the ride quality but still let me have fun on corners every now and then so I am leaning more towards progressively wound springs rather than a full on coilover setup (although you can get some cheap coilovers for less than springs!).

Just wondering if it's worth upgrading the shocks as well as the springs or simply go for a set of standard shocks with a minor drop in ride height? If so can someone suggest which shocks work well on this car, I am guessing Koni have a set of adjustable shocks etc.

Looking at these Eibach OEM springs - I know that I will need slightly stiffer springs anyway as its a 1.4 TDCi:

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_fiesta_eibach_spring_kit_with_diesel_engines_f_1214915_c_434.htm

ST springs will be set up for the weight of the ST engine so you could find the front sits too high. Generally better to stick to springs designed for the weight of your engine.

4 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

ST springs will be set up for the weight of the ST engine so you could find the front sits too high. Generally better to stick to springs designed for the weight of your engine.

What about the Eibach springs from FordpartsUK? Looks like they have a petrol engine and a diesel engine version, just had a quick read around with some of the reviews on them and they seem pretty good. I read that someone had a set of -40 SPAX springs on theirs and the ride quality wasn't as good as with the Eibachs.

I did however notice that the kit lowers the front 35mm and the rear 30mm - guessing this slight rake would be beneficial to handling etc? Just seems odd as the front would be carrying more weight anyway?

Eibachs through a Ford dealer are the Ford approved ones and you can pick the right ones for your engine.

I've never used them, but like you have read people seem to be happy with them.

Someone on a facebook page posted their Zetec on ST springs, n it actually ended up sitting higher than the standard springs. So yes, weight of the engine is a factor plus the shorter dampers of the ST which make it sit lower. 

Thanks guys, I think I will look at getting those Eibach springs (for the correct engine), might also look at the shorter dampers as well if I do decide to change them over - will look into some damper options. To be fair I am looking for slightly better handling so not really wanting the car to be lowered too much so I am thinking perhaps Eibach springs on stock dampers might be a good option.

The other option is perhaps running uprated dampers on stock springs - the shock absorbing is done by the springs which is then damped by the dampers so perhaps increasing the damping will help keep the car more stable but retaining the ride quality of the stock springs.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club