Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashcam wire help please!

kabulu

Hi

I've got a mk7 2011 Fiesta and I'll be putting in a hardwire kit so I can use the parking mode.

I'm a novice but my assumptions are-

This needs to be a permanent live

So I know the earth wire goes to a bolt or similar. But what do I do with the yellow and red wires?

I've read to use a piggyback fuse holder on the rear wiper fuse with the red wire but I'm a bit lost.

Would really like to  install myself so any tips please?

Thanks

20160506_210452.jpg

Black to a bolt on metal point on chassis. 

Red either to a permanent live fuse and yellow to a ignition switch live. Or vice versa. 

I think i used yellow on constant permanent live fuse (keyless entry - even though my car doesnt have this) and red on either rear wiper or heated seats (again my car doesnt have heated seats but there was power still supplied to this fuse slot with no fuse in) 

A good way to check is with a circuit tester pick one up from Halfords for about a fiver. 

What model dashcam do you have? 

• Like 1

Great thanks for the reply.

Did you add piggy back/fuse taps to both the red and yellow wires?

Thanks

• Like 1

I got a Thinkware F750 front and rear. So I need the constant live just incase someone smacks the car in Tescos. :tongue:

• Like 1

Yeah added to both mate. You dont actually need to add a fuse that powers a function in the car to the piggyback if you get me? You can just plug the piggy back into the empty fuse slot then a 10amp fuse to the empty piggyback. 

I hope that makes sense!!

Aha i had feeling you would say you had one of those! I recognise the wires! 

Ive just installed one myself!

I'll get you my link RE: hardwiring the f750 on the dashcam talk forum mate! I quite enjoyed researching how to hardwire. I learnt a fair bit! 

• Like 1

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/help-how-to-hardwire-thinkware-f750-front-and-rear.18237/

Here you go mate. 

This may clear some things up for you. Its a good toilet read through!;) ahaha!

I'd ignore the last 4/5 comments about crimping and soldering unless you have the utilities and tools. Just get a good crimping tool and twist the bare wires enough. 

I'm really not sure where the fuses are going tbh.

They have inline fuses don't they so I wasn't sure if I even needed an extra fuse.

I've got keyless but if the camera works on that fuse and the rear wiper without any issues then I'll be happy to use them unless I can find some empty slots.

Looks like a good dashcam!

Thanks again for the help. 

• Like 1

Have a flick through your owners manual. It shoukd have a fuse box diagram for both your engine and passenger side glove box. 

You just need a piggyback cable with 2 fuse slots on. Plug it into the fuse where you are tapping the power from plug a 7.5 or 10 amp fuse in and the fuse that was original there and it should work with both piggybacks plugged in.. if it doesnt work. Swap around the 7.5or10amp fuse to power the dashcam with the fuse you have removed from the fuse box... 

If that makes sense? 

And no worries mate. Thats what this forum is for! Happy to help mate!

39 minutes ago, Cookey09 said:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/help-how-to-hardwire-thinkware-f750-front-and-rear.18237/

Here you go mate. 

This may clear some things up for you. Its a good toilet read through!;) ahaha!

I'd ignore the last 4/5 comments about crimping and soldering unless you have the utilities and tools. Just get a good crimping tool and twist the bare wires enough. 

Thanks, I'll give it a read! 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club