Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What Have You Learned Today??

GMX

1 hour ago, GMX said:

I have learned today that CDR substrate is not the same plastic as commercial CD and DVDs, and you can shape and cut CDRs with domestic scissors and office hole punches.  Try that with commercial CD and DVD, you end up with a load of shards flying across the bench.  The way it cut to easily would suggest PET or PVC, or similar polymer.

Whilst not in the same league of open heart surgery, my dentist has a number of cameras on his instruments, which enables you to watch your own dental work on the 42"  monitor on the wall.  You get all sorts of views you can never get in the mirror at home.  Like behind your front teeth, your otherwise obscure inner gum and the filling hole he's just carved out:lol:

That's is awesome Ghana watching your Dentist at work. The nearest I got to that was a view in a hand mirror after a route canal op on one of my front upper teeth. I had been suffering a while and then a huge and I mean huge white bulge appeared  above the tooth. Once the dentist was set up, He just touched the lump and he was plastered with nasty, horrible puss.

For some reason he seem shocked. Anyway after much suction he cut along just above the tooth line to expose the huge cavity that had been eaten away by the infection.

After much scraping of the surrounding bone to make sure he got back to good sound bone with no infection. He had to stop to give me more pain relief.

It was at that point when he asked me if I wanted to see what he had to do to remove the infection. Of course i just gave the thumbs up and I was shocked at what I seen.

If you try to imagine a bottom line spanning 4 upper front teeth and then draw a line from each end to meet at a point just below my nostril, then you have an idea how big this thing was.

The infection had eaten away a fair chunk of my upper front jaw.  It was packed with antibiotic tape and the wound stitched up save for a bit of tape hanging out to retrieve a couple of weeks later.

Awesome

• Like 1

I've learnt just how gullible some people can be...one of my lecturers makes a joke about the Emergency Wreck Marking Buoy having a different light rhythm depending on the day of the week...most days it's Blue, followed by yellow...except for Tuesday when it's Yellow THEN Blue!!

Now, most of us took it in the good humour it was intended...however, today a different lecturer asked a student to describe the light characteristics of the above buoy. He asked what day it was, as that affects the rhythm of the light...

The lecturer is a Master Mariner with many, many years commercial service and yet he was speechless!!

• Like 2

I've learned today, that Markal white welding paint pens are a near identical match to the white paintwork on my internal doors: than Volvo 440 white, and either of the Dulux whites I have:ohmy:

I have learned today that my John Lewis freezer thermometer bears little relation to the temperature inside.   The alarm went off on Saturday, which it's supposed to if the temperature falls to -11°C.  I  checked the separate thermometer that is in one of the drawers with Brandy's chickens, it said -18°C, which is what it should be.

Either the freezers own thermometer was wrong or it was right, and the separate one was wrong.:unsure:

Having a quantity of other thermometers to hand, I placed one in each drawer and one each shelf and left them. Just in case the freezer was right, I put it into boost mode.  Upon checking a moment ago, all 7 thermometers are reading -22°C (normal when boost has been on 48 hours) but the freezers internal one is showing -9°C:ohmy:

I phone call to the appliance parts shop I use, and established that he didn't think anything was wrong with the freezer thermometer as freezer thermometers are rarely accurate, more as a guide than the true temperature. He tells all his customers to use a separate thermometer as a result

Unfortunately, there's no way the alarm can be disabled, so it will continue to sound off every 24 hours, until I reset it, or when it resets itself after 3 hours:mellow: 

I learned today that Rain-x is a good thing to apply to your car wind screen and other windows on the car. Driving to Sheffield in heavy rain and hardly having to use wipers is great

I've learnt I really don't like working on a Sunday for a measly time and a quarter, especially when I find out a warehouse person is on double time over 20 quid an hour. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simcor said:

I've learnt I really don't like working on a Sunday for a measly time and a quarter, especially when I find out a warehouse person is on double time over 20 quid an hour. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

We, and I thought everyone else did the same, pay double time for Sundays

2 hours ago, GMX said:

My overtime is time and a 1/2 but Bank holidays and Special occasions(festive etc) are doubletime.  But I have to work Sundays so the packhouses have some produce on a Monday

never work a sunday, so not had double time. even time and a half is fast becoming a rare rate over and above normal hours. quite a few jobs ive seen in my trade is time and a third. and some just normal rate! yeh right, not working over 40hrs for the same rate. lol

2 hours ago, GMX said:

We, local authority, get paid time and a half for anything between 37 and 45 hours. Anything after 45 is double time, but they're wanting to cut it to time and a quarter and time and a half!!!

3 hours ago, iantt said:

never work a sunday, so not had double time. even time and a half is fast becoming a rare rate over and above normal hours. quite a few jobs ive seen in my trade is time and a third. and some just normal rate! yeh right, not working over 40hrs for the same rate. lol

I've always worked a weekend 12 on 2 off but new job is now work every Sunday but sometimes have a Saturday off.  My contract is time & a half after 35 hours but my wife who works as a kitchen assistant in Muller has to work on a Sunday for the same rate as she does in the week lol & she is only on £7.20 hour.  Whereas every weekend I've worked is always classed as overtime because of the hours I do.  

2 hours ago, Turvey said:

We, local authority, get paid time and a half for anything between 37 and 45 hours. Anything after 45 is double time, but they're wanting to cut it to time and a quarter and time and a half!!!

Can they do that? I've always been told they can cut your hours but not your pay + my previous boss tried to drop mine because of him implementing targets & if we didn't achieve them we got basic of £7.20 I wasn't even on that I was on £7.50(basic, £11 overtime) and my father in law who runs his own business said he's not allowed to do that.  

Today I learned that my left knee is not up to long stop-start journeys in a manual vehicle... 

3 hours ago, Preecematt said:

Can they do that? I've always been told they can cut your hours but not your pay....

I'm not so sure they'll actually go ahead with it, pretty sure it's in the proposals just for scare tactics ie other proposals such as cutting hours back to 35 for instance, will seem less severe :unsure:

I don't like finding great swathes on bindweed coming under the fence and trying to establish itself in and around my brassicas, and trying to do the same in the former pea bed. Despite me having lined the beds with geotex weed membrane, to block the adventurous plethora of weeds my neighbour ignores in his back garden:sad:

Molly has hunted and eaten all the spiders that were living in the house:sad: which means all the houseflies are having a free for all:sad:  I swatted five (2 greenbottles, 2 bluebottles and big black one), whilst I was serving Brandy her tea.  They seem to able to sense the moment you open the bag of necks, chicken or ribs and swarm in.  They aren't as drawn to Molly's own Kitekat or Tesco cat food in jelly

10 hours ago, Preecematt said:

My overtime is time and a 1/2 but Bank holidays and Special occasions(festive etc) are doubletime.  But I have to work Sundays so the packhouses have some produce on a Monday

10 hours ago, iantt said:

10 hours ago, Turvey said:

Oh it seems, we are rarer than I thought.

We pay double time for Sunday and regular overtime (anything over 35 hours is overtime) and double and half for bank holidays

22 hours ago, Turvey said:

I'm not so sure they'll actually go ahead with it, pretty sure it's in the proposals just for scare tactics ie other proposals such as cutting hours back to 35 for instance, will seem less severe :unsure:

I wouldn't moan about less hours lol.  We're in a quiet month at the moment as we've finished digging both conventional & organic spuds and I got home at 17:30 tonight, only started at 8

19 hours ago, GMX said:

I don't like finding great swathes on bindweed coming under the fence and trying to establish itself in and around my brassicas, and trying to do the same in the former pea bed. Despite me having lined the beds with geotex weed membrane, to block the adventurous plethora of weeds my neighbour ignores in his back garden:sad:

Molly has hunted and eaten all the spiders that were living in the house:sad: which means all the houseflies are having a free for all:sad:  I swatted five (2 greenbottles, 2 bluebottles and big black one), whilst I was serving Brandy her tea.  They seem to able to sense the moment you open the bag of necks, chicken or ribs and swarm in.  They aren't as drawn to Molly's own Kitekat or Tesco cat food in jelly

Oh it seems, we are rarer than I thought.

We pay double time for Sunday and regular overtime (anything over 35 hours is overtime) and double and half for bank holidays

How do I apply for a position at your work lol

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Preecematt said:

I wouldn't moan about less hours lol.  We're in a quiet month at the moment as we've finished digging both conventional & organic spuds and I got home at 17:30 tonight, only started at 8.

Less hours would mean less basic pay though! Could be alright though, home by dinnertime on a Friday :w00t:

Ah, tattie picking! Mixed emotions about that job, the extra pocket money was welcome but the early starts and cold, long days were painful! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Less hours would mean less basic pay though! Could be alright though, home by dinnertime on a Friday :w00t:

Ah, tattie picking! Mixed emotions about that job, the extra pocket money was welcome but the early starts and cold, long days were painful! 

I'd love a Friday afternoon finish, although at my last place I was given a 3 day weekend on the rota & I moaned about it because I couldn't afford it.  We load spuds into boxes and there is a grader on the back of the harvester(it's self propelled & weighs 22 tonne, 24 tonne with the bunker full) and the grading is easy.  Carrots though, I hate carrot grading.  Have to load the carrots into tipper then load onto a grader, into bulk lorries and your the only one on the grader, I hate it

• Like 1

I have learned yesterday that cheese goes remarkably well with tuna, particularly well when seasoned with basil and onion granules as part of baked layer dish, with layers of tomato, tuna and cheese.

17 hours ago, Preecematt said:

I wouldn't moan about less hours lol.  We're in a quiet month at the moment as we've finished digging both conventional & organic spuds and I got home at 17:30 tonight, only started at 8

How do I apply for a position at your work lol

,We haven't diversified into farming yet, but you never know:unsure:

16 hours ago, Preecematt said:

I'd love a Friday afternoon finish, although at my last place I was given a 3 day weekend on the rota & I moaned about it because I couldn't afford it.  We load spuds into boxes and there is a grader on the back of the harvester(it's self propelled & weighs 22 tonne, 24 tonne with the bunker full) and the grading is easy.  Carrots though, I hate carrot grading.  Have to load the carrots into tipper then load onto a grader, into bulk lorries and your the only one on the grader, I hate it

Isn't there an a combined harvester and grader for carrots?  I'm sure i saw a video of one being demonstrated at the last Agritechnica

4 hours ago, GMX said:

I have learned yesterday that cheese goes remarkably well with tuna, particularly well when seasoned with basil and onion granules as part of baked layer dish, with layers of tomato, tuna and cheese.

,We haven't diversified into farming yet, but you never know:unsure:

Isn't there an a combined harvester and grader for carrots?  I'm sure i saw a video of one being demonstrated at the last Agritechnica

Possibly I'm not sure, if there is, it might be made by I think PCS  (I think that's the company) and I'm not sure if a company called Dewulf have a grader on the back. Our spud harvester is a Grimme varitron 220 and our carrot harvester is a Asa lift sp460 I think.  Also how have you only just discovered Tuna and cheese lol

• Like 1

I learned this morning that my Mum appears not to able to tell the difference between a Mk1 Focus hatchback in tonic blue and a Mk4 Mondeo estate in silver:ohmy:

I took her to the GP surgery, where she was due to have her ulcer dressing changed by one of the nurses, and waited outside in the road.  Just before she emerged a a Mk4 Mondeo estate pulled up, three cars ahead of me, the driver too remained at the wheel

My Mum came out of the surgery and walked straight up to the Mondeo, opened the passenger door and climbed in, next to the now bewildered driver:ohmy: I initially thought he must be somebody she knew, but apparently not. She'd confused my Mk1 Focus for his Mk4 Mondeo Estate.:ohmy:

56 minutes ago, GMX said:

I learned this morning that my Mum appears not to able to tell the difference between a Mk1 Focus hatchback in tonic blue and a Mk4 Mondeo estate in silver:ohmy:

I took her to the GP surgery, where she was due to have her ulcer dressing changed by one of the nurses, and waited outside in the road.  Just before she emerged a a Mk4 Mondeo estate pulled up, three cars ahead of me, the driver too remained at the wheel

My Mum came out of the surgery and walked straight up to the Mondeo, opened the passenger door and climbed in, next to the now bewildered driver:ohmy: I initially thought he must be somebody she knew, but apparently not. She'd confused my Mk1 Focus for his Mk4 Mondeo Estate.:ohmy:

In terms of colour, I've always had a problem telling light blues from silvers.  For example, our previous Nissan Primera was "blue" but it always looked silver to me... 

A few years ago when we had our MK4 Fiesta Ghia I made a similar mistake in the Tesco car park.  My mother was still in the shop and for some reason I had to go back to the car for something, and near where our Fiesta was parked, there was another state blue P-reg Ghia.  I stood there wondering why the door wouldn't unlock until I looked down and saw that this Fiesta had alloys, whereas ours had steel wheels...  Oops!! :mellow:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club