Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What Have You Learned Today??

GMX

It is said that you learn something new everyday. :rolleyes:

I thought it might prove interesting to see what we've learned today, and each day forth, however random:biggrin: 

Today, I learned that so called heavy duty woven weed membrane is not as effective weed barrier as it's spun counterpart. 

Much of the membrane I put down last year, to keep the bindweed and brambles from next door, growing under the fence and up into my vegetable beds, has in fact, bindweed and bramble roots growing through it, and into the beds. 

The weave just parts when probed from below by the tiniest of roots:sad:  All the beds will need re-lining with spun membrane when the season is at an end.:sad:

The lesson of woven membrane is that, if it's significantly cheaper (£50 for 50M) than the spun membrane (£108 for 50M) it might not work as intended; if at all.:unsure: And it would've been better to wait for spun membrane to be back in stock rather than buy the cheaper alternative.  After all, you do get what you pay for.:mellow:

I also learned whilst putting together another irrigation circuit. That when fitting a barbed joint to 16mm leaky hose. It is made a whole lot easier, if a little red rubber grease is applied to inner end of the hose.:smile:  I guess any kind rubber lubricant would work as well.  If you just warm the hose end, the barbed joint won't go all the way in to it's shoulder and it's not the easiest of thing to manipulate.

• Like 1

I learned that my transit van is passed the point of welding up to many holes:sad:

I learned today that its no good smashing up the garden strimmer in temper as I've now got to buy another one!!!

Just put it down and walk away from it for a while, then with a cool calm mind re-thread the strimmer wire after the tenth time it had snapped and gone inside the housing.

• Like 4

I learned I can't drink like I could when I was 20 the hard way :'(

• Like 1

I learned to actually sit & think a certain process through before throwing a paddy & going home lol.  I also learned that my father in law knows more about what my work are doing than I do & he only supplies lime & fertiliser to my boss

I learned that whoever previously worked on my Peugeot liked leaving out really important bolts but gluing literally every plastic part in the car so that it's impossible to remove without breaking...

1 hour ago, Ian Lanc said:

I learned today that its no good smashing up the garden strimmer in temper as I've now got to buy another one!!!

Just put it down and walk away from it for a while, then with a cool calm mind re-thread the strimmer wire after the tenth time it had snapped and gone inside the housing.

I'm the same to be honest, there are quite a few (rather expensive) things that my anger has destroyed in the past. 

• Like 1

I learned today that when idiots start zig zagging behind you to see why your travelling at the speed limit (in a queue of traffic) and 'can they get past you' .... If you zig zag back at them they suddenly back off thinking your a maniac! 

• Like 5

I learned too this evening, as I moved my irrigation circuits between beds.

That burying leaky hose 225mm below the surface for four years: as opposed to running it along the surface, shortens it's life considerably.:sad:

It becomes brittle and then fractures with the lightest of tugs:ohmy: Crumbles when you try to trim it, to apply a new barbed joint, or if successful at trimming it then splits as the joint is inserted.:sad:

I have Learned,dont just do things for other people when they dont give a dam to help you in the same way.

Put you own needs first not others and just sit down and think ''Would they do the same''small amout yes but 99% no.

A lot just laugh in your face.

I learned that sending 2 women with a "that'll have to do attitude" to purchase concrete is a bad idea...

We need about 1.4m3 of concrete at cadets. This equates to almost 150 20kg bags of the stuff. At a total cost of over £1000.

Rather than say "right, we'll have to leave it for now!" And asking those of us who have an inkling of sense, they bought 20 bags...saying that we'd have to make do!! Still cost over £100!! Even with a cheekily asked for discount...

Made a few calls this morning and I now have said 1.4m3 of concrete en route - for the princely sum of £180+ VAT. The quick minded folk will realise that even with VAT, that's a 5th of the bagged option!!

• Like 1

I've learned the weather is far too nice to be stuck at work on my 2-10 shift lol 

• Like 2

I have learned this afternoon that my tailgate TDCi badge is in the wrong place after I parked next to another Mk2 Focus Estate. 

It would seem a previous owner, probably the one that ahem "decorated" the tailgate with ghastly plastic kitchen unit chrome effect trim (which I removed soon after I bought it) had moved the TDCi badge out of the way.

• Like 1

the sun roof on the wifes mini will not open when its very hot as the rubbers swell , not much good in summer

Even with aircon on full it's still chuffing hot

See my parts for sale on thread "philf1s Spirit Blue Fiesta ST180 parts for sale"

Today I learnt why no-one else parked under the cherry tree full of blossom... :laugh: 

Today I learned, or rather confirmed my suspicions, that a cheap battery booster isn't capable of starting a turbo diesel with a completely flat battery.

20 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Today I learnt why no-one else parked under the cherry tree full of blossom... :laugh: 

yes I know what you mean its like glue

I have learned that, two hot wings from KFC, A McDonalds American weird Bagel like massive double burger, fries, large coke,Sunday and Mcflurry are enough to make you bloated...

@jmurray01 which one did you buy?

6 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

I have learned that, two hot wings from KFC, A McDonalds American weird Bagel like massive double burger, fries, large coke,Sunday and Mcflurry are enough to make you bloated...

@jmurray01 which one did you buy?

A no-name brand from eBay!  Just barely enough power to start a small petrol engine (which to be fair is all I bought it for originally). 

aye, did the same myself, lasted about 10 minutes and boosted one car, then that was that!

Some in EuroCarParts, circa £40 for a jump start up to 3ltr diesel engines, and is about the size of a well protected phone.

1 minute ago, jeebowhite said:

aye, did the same myself, lasted about 10 minutes and boosted one car, then that was that!

Some in EuroCarParts, circa £40 for a jump start up to 3ltr diesel engines, and is about the size of a well protected phone.

Yeah, I'll be investing in one of those in the next couple of months.  Unfortunately my wallet only stretches (barely) to a set of jump leads at the moment, so that'll have to do to get the old girl running again tomorrow.  Not good for the battery nor the alternator, but I've got precious little choice. 

• Like 1

if only you were closer I would have given you a spare battery, I have one old ford one, a "part worn" S4 and the father in law has an AA one which is no use for his car...

3 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

if only you were closer I would have given you a spare battery, I have one old ford one, a "part worn" S4 and the father in law has an AA one which is no use for his car...

You could, if you felt like a 1,200 mile round trip! :laugh:

Nah, the 405 has an S4 which I'm sure will be fine after it charges back up.  It takes a lot to kill those Bosch batteries.

• Like 1

i learned today that the new roofers knee pads from Screwfix are quite inferior to the old ones. 

They no longer have a comfortable elastic strap but a fixed plastic strap that cuts into the back of your leg and has little adjustment.  The pads themselves are too narrow except for the tiniest of knees.  I can't imagine roofers having slender knees; roofers girlfriends and wives may be: but not roofers themselves:mellow:

The alternative gel ones won't stand up to the rigors of kneeling in the garden.  A pair of Dewalt ones I did try, failed after a week of weeding from the drive and path

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club