Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus won't turn over after accidentally stalling in reverse

mukflash

Hello,

New to the forum, I own a 2000 1.8 focus

Somebody yesterday sandwiched me in when they parked up, and were nowhere to be seen for me to ask them to move their veichle, so i had to keep feathering it forward and backwards inch by inch, then stalled it in reverse, and it would not start again.

I looked all over for disconnected wires, everything seems fine, no gunk at battery terminals, and battery is 2 weeks old.  tested the battery with voltameter, and used battery off my second car which is fine, so I know its not that.

I discovered in the image i have circled, that there is a 15amp fuse blown, its a little box just under the window wiper wash compartment, and it leads to the battery.  I put another 15amp in that little box, which I stole from another slot in the main compartment just to test it, and nothing.

when i turn the ignition, I can hear an electric buzz, pretty sure its fuel pump kicking in, but it does not just turn over, just makes 1 clicking sound, or sometimes a few clicking noises in a row.

going getting more fuses later, but have been messing around with the fuse box, do they look in the right order.

also, is it most likely to be that 15 amp blown fuse which is the problem, I dont know if it was blown before or after I stalled.

(All other light, radia work etc)

1.jpg

2.jpg

tried putting another fuse in the slot (one of the right)

The one in the left looks differnt, is it a different type of fuse, or just an older looking type?

anyone thought of what is the likely issue?

fuses.jpg

• Like 1

bit a ghost town in this thread. I will try to revive it.

this is what the spark plugs look like on the left

(the one on this right is a new motorcycle one, just for comparison)

I have taken all the spark plugs off, and they all look pretty similar, this one has a crack down it however.

is this the most likely culprit?

spark.jpg

That left hand plug looks absolutely knackered. For the sake of less than £20 for a decent set its worth swapping them out anyway. When was the car last serviced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought it second hand a couple months ago.

I just did a multimeter test on them all, one is completley dead, but not the cracked one surprisingly.

Could stalling the car have blew a plug.

yes I am ordering some tonight btw, so will update.

I know bad plugs can stop a car firing up,

but can bad plugs stop a car turning over?

Has it ever been serviced?:ohmy: the fuses are the same as long as you use same ampage you'll be all right but it looks like you need a good service looking at the state of the plugs I would change the leads as well

I cleaned up all the plugs with a wire brush and they are now all showing up as fine using a multimeter, at the correct capacities.

I put them all back in, and its still doing the same thing.  Its clicks about 3 times when I turn the ignition, does not however turnover.

I want to get the car running again before servicing, for obvious reasons.

Is the timing belt still intact 

Check earth cables.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Are you certain the new battery is OK?

Second have toy checked the starter motor out try smacking the starter motor and see if it starts.

Clicking when trying to start either means battery is goosed or possibly starter motor. 

Do the headlights false when trying to start?

What fuse did you borrow and has that one been replaced?

Rather than keep trying to start it, check the timing belt is still intact by removing the top cover or trying to turn the crank pulley by hand with a spanner. Question is, did you knowingly stall it or did something else happen, such as the timing belt snapping

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:25 PM, mukflash said:

I cleaned up all the plugs with a wire brush and they are now all showing up as fine using a multimeter, at the correct capacities.

I put them all back in, and its still doing the same thing.  Its clicks about 3 times when I turn the ignition, does not however turnover.

I want to get the car running again before servicing, for obvious reasons.

That cracked plug won't work well if at all, it'll just short between the lead and the block without the insulator there.

Shouldn't stop it turning over though, as above, check the engine does actually turn by hand.

Then check wiring to the starter, looking at the state of the plugs I dread to think what everything else under there looks like lol.

FIXED IT

Took me a few days granted, but found out what was wrong.

One of the bolts on the starter motor had come slightly loose, it was quite difficult to get at.

anyhow, it was the bolt with a wire connected to it, so im assuming it was a grounding problem.

I was halfway through unscrewing all the bolts to then order a new starter motor, but i though, hey why not try tighten them up first, and Vuala!, it fired up on the first turn.

I will be replacing with new spark plugs, oil, air & fuel filter, coolant, next week just for piece of mine.

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club