Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 Ecoboost Rear Disc Upgrade

Willy

On the subject of the hand brake ratchet this is copied from the Fiesta owners manual Page 116 in mine.

All Vehicles

Note: Do not press the release button while pulling the lever up.

To apply the parking brake:
1. Press the foot brake pedal firmly.
2. Pull the parking brake lever up to its
fullest extent.
To release the parking brake:
1. Press the brake pedal firmly.
2. Pull the lever up slightly.
3. Press the release button and push the
lever down.

3 hours ago, Cragrat said:

On the subject of the hand brake ratchet this is copied from the Fiesta owners manual Page 116 in mine.

All Vehicles

Note: Do not press the release button while pulling the lever up.

To apply the parking brake:
1. Press the foot brake pedal firmly.
2. Pull the parking brake lever up to its
fullest extent.
To release the parking brake:
1. Press the brake pedal firmly.
2. Pull the lever up slightly.
3. Press the release button and push the
lever down.

Well, I had no idea about that. 

9 hours ago, anyjungleinguy said:

Well, I had no idea about that. 

Yes, it's surprising what's in the manual about the use of the car.

I found this to be helpful. It explains also about wear. I still press the handbrake button when I put it up as I just cringe when I accidentally pull it up without pressing the button. 

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, 

I'm looking at upgrading my drums to discs and pads and I have only found this conversation to be close to what I'm looking for in terms of advice. I have found a couple of sites online that offer the kit but they're asking for well over £700 alone for the axle so I have sourced one in Wales for £150, I've attached a picture of it because I'm not 100% sure it's a complete kit and has everything I'll need on it for the conversion, if any one has a full list of all the parts needed could you please let me know? I know its purely for looks and wont add to the breaking performance as the fronts do all most all of the work but I am just not a fan of the look. Could anyone possibly point me in the right direction for a tutorial video or how too guide as I'm going to attempt to do the swap my self, with some help from my old man of course.

Thanks 👍

IMG_5043.PNG

Hey @Mathew Holland Lewis I made a guide on doing this conversion on my mk6.5 fiesta zetec s. Can't think it would be completely different between the mk7 and 6. Honestly I did notice braking to be a bit better as my drums needed adjustment which meant all the brakes weren't fully engaging at little pressure. It's hard to tell on your picture but does that have the handbrake cable? Overall looks in excellent condition. 

Here's my guide 😉

Thanks for the reply @zain611

I'll have a proper look at that guide you've posted up on here this weekend, hopefully they have some similarities! No the kit didn't come with the hand break cable unfortunately but I have spoken to my local ford garage and they gave me a price of  £42 for a new one which isn't to bad. Do you think i'll need to change the hand brake in the cab? 

3 hours ago, Mathew Holland Lewis said:

Thanks for the reply @zain611

I'll have a proper look at that guide you've posted up on here this weekend, hopefully they have some similarities! No the kit didn't come with the hand break cable unfortunately but I have spoken to my local ford garage and they gave me a price of  £42 for a new one which isn't to bad. Do you think i'll need to change the hand brake in the cab? 

You will need to change the handbrake cable as the end of it is different for drums and discs. You'll need to get the cable which is for a fiesta with rear discs as the end of it is designed to attach to the calipers. I also went along and bought new brake hoses which attaches to the calipers as the ones on mine were rusted on. I removed the bits off the beam and put them on my car. Just do be careful removing the parts as one of the bolts snapped when I was removing the hub. Hopefully you might not get into that issue as the beam you got looks near like new. 

• 3 months later...

Its taken me a while to finally get the ST rear axle on my car but its now done along with the ST front calipers and it has made a big difference the brakes are so much better. I cant stress how important it is to use the Ford scan brake bleed function as even after manual bleeding these is still lots of air in the system. I am really happy how the rear of the car feels now when using roundabouts there is much less body roll and the car just feels much more planted its a great upgrade. One important note is to change the ABS wheel speed sensors back to the original ones fitted to your car as the ST ones are not compatible with the lower spec cars and will bring up warning lights.

• Thanks 1

Interesting that you were having issues with the ST ABS sensors. I left the ST sensors in situ and have never had an issue with warning lights 

With my mk6 I just connected the Abs sensors which were already on the car to the rear discs. Will definitely agree in saying rear disc brakes are better than drums. 

• 4 weeks later...

I too am thinking of this conversion- rear discs look so much better than rusty old drums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/5/2018 at 2:11 PM, nathanphillips said:

I too am thinking of this conversion- rear discs look so much better than rusty old drums

Check my guide I previously mentioned 👍. I honestly did feel a difference in braking. Feels like all four brakes work now and I'd only need to put little pressure on the pedal to get decent braking. Also don't really get that much brake dust compared to the front which is good. 

DSC_0388.JPG

DSC_0397.JPG

DSC_0406.JPG

DSC_0419.JPG

DSC_0422.JPG

DSC_0423.JPG

Check my guide I previously mentioned [emoji106]. I honestly did feel a difference in braking. Feels like all four brakes work now and I'd only need to put little pressure on the pedal to get decent braking. Also don't really get that much brake dust compared to the front which is good. 
DSC_0388.thumb.JPG.8fe45408aa5ac503f0e7b8bee55e40b0.JPG
DSC_0397.thumb.JPG.a7aa9329978b7b2bd05bc64775839735.JPG
DSC_0406.thumb.JPG.ecdad26594f8f2a9d05878d7a045f3be.JPG
DSC_0419.thumb.JPG.8b92eeca39af5efd9a61bed6dc850a66.JPG
DSC_0422.thumb.JPG.a2cfc6bb98747c7f26f45ec28fe80b31.JPG
DSC_0423.thumb.JPG.b0306c0e80d03a29228c917e74d66d31.JPG

Great- thanks will do! [emoji106]

Just now, nathanphillips said:

Great- thanks will do! emoji106.png

That was super quick 🤣

That was super quick [emoji1787]

iPhone app- forum at my fingertips [emoji23][emoji23]

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club