Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best model to get

Deano3

Hi everyone I have been hanging around a while but now have a few questions I currently have a 2010 plate ford focus 1.6 style petrol but I am wanting a newer model I have been looking at £8000 for a 2014 plate but really like the newer grille etc on the 2015 models so might go up to £10000 then a keep a couple years and hopefully sell for around 8000

Anyway I do around 7000 miles a year so not many but sometimes like a long drive up or down country but daily just go to work and back around 6 miles or so there and same back. I am wondering what is the best engine for me to get I have heard the 1.6 tdci engine has its faults so is the 1.5 engine the best diesel model to go for or you think I should stick with the 1.6 petrol engine ?

Also heard good things about the 1l ecoboost but feel like small for me my wife and 2 kids and would rather have more power if needed and going to get a ztec with blacked out windows etc as think look better

Also do they have common faults etc

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks dean

would definitely recommend the 1.0 125PS engine - my other half now has this in her focus titanium and it is fine for pulling me her and the kids - granted it is not like my ST however will leave a lot of cars at the lights and have my output that a traditional 1.6 petrol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I would try and go into and titanium series with the appearance pack giving you the better wheels, privacy glass and daytime running lights. by specing into titanium you will also gain cruise control, push button start, climate control, touchscreen Navigation,

here is a example of a titanium with appearance pack

• Like 1

good luck with your search and do keep us updated on your purchase :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys mate I cannot compliance at all with my ford focus in 4 years I have only fitted tyres that's it, I service it every year myself and no complaints just a great worry free car and that's exactly what I want

You think I should go for a 2015l4 plate before the face lift for £8000 or pay closer to 10 and get the 2015 face lift ? Trouble is I payed £5700 for mine when was 2 years old but all seem more now but the newer model was out then, I only want to keep a few years and loose as little as possible on it like everybody I suppose so I can get a older one or get the (much better looking face lift) in my opinion but pay more, what you think a 2015 plate focus will be worth in 2 year £8000 with not to many miles

Also the titanium is stunning thanks for that, will make it even harder to find one now 😉 that's defently the sportiest model I have seen and really nice in the black, I either want black or white

Still unsure about engine I says it out of the diesel 1.5 or the 1.6 petrol

How reliable are the engines probably same petrol as mine I imagine wouldn't have been changed much what about the diesel any common faults etc sorry for all the questions buts help is appreciated. Sure I will be sticking around after get the car

Thanks again dean

In my opinion you should stay away from the old 1.6 Duratec TI-VCT Petrol engine. The 1.6 Duratec TI-VCT is not bad but its replacement, the 1.0 ECOboost engine is a much nicer type of engine. Compared to the 1.6 Duratec TI-VCT the 1.0 ECOboost has a much higher torque output and a much better fuel economy.

Personally I would choose for the 125 HP version of the 1.0 ECOboost. The 125 HP version has the nice 6-speed B6 gearbox combined with a dual mass flywheel while the 100 HP version has the old 5-speed IB5 gearbox  combined with a conventional single mass flywheel. Because of the dual mass flywheel the 125 HP version has a bit less vibrations than the 100 HP version. In real life the fuel consumption of both the 100 HP and 125 HP version is basically the same.

The ECOboost petrol engine are quite economical and lower maintenance costs than a Diesel engine. Because of this a diesel engine will only be cheaper to run if you drive a lot of Miles each Year.

• Like 8

I currently have a 1.6 TI-VCT (in the fiesta) and I agree entirely with what JW1982 said, its not bad but having drove the 1.0 Ecoboost 125bhp (focus) you really notice the difference and from what I've heard MPG will be better too.

To summarize, a heavier car felt more nimble due to the engine difference, just my opinion but hope it helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys everyone few more questions , I am going to look after this car as to be honest I don't clean my current car very often just a focus edge 1 6 petrol but if I get better model would be much better looking and will look after it a lot more.

The titanium is the best model I take it and very good looking do you think a 15 plate titanium that costs around £11000 will hold value well in 2-3 years still be worth £8500 or so as sick of loosing so much money on cars so think might try upgrade every few years

Lastly opinions on the 1.5 tdci engine as lots of the titanium I am looking at have that engine , I know don't do huge mileage but if had a better car and we last as worried about going distance I will do more millage plus bairns getting to a age were wil be good to travel to theme parks and holidays around the UK so surely this engine will be faster and more nippy than the 1.l petrol

Thanks dean

The 1.0l ecoboost is nice in the ztec with tinted windows etc and always less than 10000 you think they will hold value well aswel ? Do the 1.5 tdci or 1.0l petrol have many common faults etc

Been looking at the 1l ecoboost as long as has appearance pack it's very smart indeed not sure what to do haha and they are cheaper at around 9995 15 plate

Hello and welcome Deano

I have a 16 plate ford focus 1.5 TDCI Titanium And I love it to bits. The diesel engine pulls like a train and just keeps pulling all the way. I do not do a lot of miles usually but I just love driving my car. Titanium has great spec and trim. However the Titaium x has even more toys to play with.

Either way, you wont go wrong in choosing either the petrol or diesel. 

The 1.0 ECOboost is a reliable engine.

Older Focus MK3 versions with the 1.0 ECOboost did have problems with the coolant return hose. This hose was originally made of plastic. Compared to a conventional natural aspirated engine the direct injected turbocharged ECOboost engines have a slightly higher combustion and coolant temperature. The higher coolant temperature caused the plastic coolant return hose to harden prematurely. In some cases the hardened coolant return hose split/broke due to vibrations which resulted in engine damage.

Ford solved this problem by recalling all affected vehicles. During the recall the affected coolant return hose is replaced by a new modified type of hose. The new hose is made of vulcanised plastic/rubber.

Despite being a lot rarer than the coolant return hose problems the coolant reservoirs are also a point of concern. The higher coolant temperature also affect the plastic material of the coolant reservoirs. During time the coolant reservoirs can develop microcracks which eventually can cause the reservoir to leak. These problems can easily be prevented by checking the reservoir thoroughly during service. Whether this problem is caused by a bad quality batch of reservoirs or higher coolant temperatures is still unknown. A new coolant reservoir costs less than €20,- and installation costs less than 10 minutes. Replacing the reservoir does not cost much and can prevent a lot of problems.

Considering the complex technologies of the 1.0 ECOboost it has very few known problems. Globally over 20% of all sold Ford cars have the 1.0 ECOboost.

• Like 1

i see 1litre focuses with 100k+ mileages, and still quiet/smooth drive. 

Having bought one earlier this year that's comforting to know :biggrin:.

Reading this thread about focus models. I have a 1.6 ti-vct 05  and a post said stay away,  Are they they bad models,  what's it faults.

Please I like to know

Thank you

The 1.6 TI-VCT has its problems but it is not a bad engine. However in the Focus MK3 the 1.6 TI-VCT does not even come close to the much nicer 1.0 ECOboost. After driving a 1.0 ECOboost the 1.6 TI-VCT feels gutless and underpowered and is a lot less economical.

• Like 1

My partners next car will be the 1L, ecoboost

The question is what will be next for me, its going to be an ecoboost, just need to decide, between the three of them. 

Of course if we were charged the correct much lower price for diesel like most places on earth charge, then it would be a no brainer but this is rip off Britain we live in so itll be petrol next time I think

Best choice. As I've said before diesel is becoming politically unpopular due to NOX and particulate issues. I'm very glad I moved back to petrol even though the Ecoboost can't match the diesel for mpg. In the longer term I think diesel is going to become much more expensive to run.

Thanks so much for all help and recommendations I am going to look and see exactly what's local for sale tonight I see the 1l echoboost is very popular as long as the 6 speed version , will also look at the 1.5 diesel and see what's about and if much price difference so is the 1.0l and the 1.5 diesel around good solid engines ? Do the 1.5s not have much problems as not many people mentioned them

Thanks again

1.5 diesel has only been around since the facelift on the Focus.

1.0 ecoboost since 2012, so a lot more people have them.

All I have read on the diesel is that it is better than the old DV6 1.6 diesel in just about every way :)

Echo what others have said. Pointless getting a diesel with such low mileage IMO. My profile says it all really!

I highly doubt a 3-4 year old Focus will be worth £8.5k, more like £6-7 depending on mileage etc.

my 3 yr old focus is£5.5k trade in or £6.5k private at the moment. lol

Both engines are pretty good, the 1.5 tdci is much better than the older 1.6 tdci, quieter and more refined. The 1.0 125 ecoboost is the one to have though in my view if you don't do loads of miles and aren't too bothered about it having loads of poke. It's plenty for the car but the 1.5/1.6 ecoboost are markedly more powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking to see what comes up if it's a 1l 125 echoboost ( more likely as plenty around 25 plates for around 10k) or the 1.5 diesel what is a bit more pokey on motorway seeing what's available but will be one or the other, think going for ztec with the apperance pack with tinted windows and led lights etc

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club