Do Not Sell My Personal Information

**help please** 2012 Ford Focus Key Fob

Jonesy117

Hi, I'm hoping for some advice/ sign posting. I've recently bought a 2012 ford focus estate titanium x. Unfortunately it only came with one key... So I'm looking to buy and programme a spare one. 

I've been into my local ford dealer and theyre quoting £200... A bit pricey in my view. 

Can an,,yone advise where I could pick this up a bit cheaper?

I'm also after rubber mats and a boot liner, if you know where I can pick some up at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance,

Liam

Edited by Jonesy117
Spelling

The general consensus is buy a new unprogrammed key fob with new blade from eBay and get a auto electrician to come out and programme it and cut it for you.

im about to do the same for my mk2 Focus 

Thanks Bigup! I've followed your advise and found one on eBay for £35! Now to hunt down a local auto electrician... 

:biggrin:

• Like 1

got my front rubber mats off eBay around £26, boot-mat are expensive if you want the original ford one

12 hours ago, Jonesy117 said:

Thanks Bigup! I've followed your advise and found one on eBay for £35! Now to hunt down a local auto electrician... 

:biggrin:

Let us know how much they charge please. 

8 hours ago, bigup said:

Let us know how much they charge please. 

Shame your not closer to me. I bought my spare key for my MK2 off an eBay seller with the blade cut and a new transponder ready to program to my car. Used my IDS diagnostics to program the transponder and then used the ignition key sequence to program the remote central locking.

• Like 2

A 2012 Focus will be a Focus Mk3.

The Focus MK3 has a newer, better protected type of PATS immobilizer system. The keys of this system can no longer be programmed using the Ford IDS diagnostic system. Instead of this the keys must be programmed using the online Ford FRDS (ETIS online) system. To do this you need a Ford VCM 2 diagnostic interface and access to the online FRDS system. As far as I know except from Ford dealers very few people have access to the FRDS system because of the rediculous license costs.

Next to this Ford changed the transponder type of the Focus MK3 in 2012. The old transponder type and the new transponder type are not interchangeable. You need to buy the correct type of key otherwise the key programming procedure will not work. Both the old transponder type key and the new transponder type key look identical so the type of key can not be viually identified. They can only be identified correctly by the part number.

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

A 2012 Focus will be a Focus Mk3.

The Focus MK3 has a newer, better protected type of PATS immobilizer system. The keys of this system can no longer be programmed using the Ford IDS diagnostic system. Instead of this the keys must be programmed using the online Ford FRDS (ETIS online) system. To do this you need a Ford VCM 2 diagnostic interface and access to the online FRDS system. As far as I know except from Ford dealers very few people have access to the FRDS system because of the rediculous license costs.

Next to this Ford changed the transponder type of the Focus MK3 in 2012. The old transponder type and the new transponder type are not interchangeable. You need to buy the correct type of key otherwise the key programming procedure will not work. Both the old transponder type key and the new transponder type key look identical so the type of key can not be viually identified. They can only be identified correctly by the part number.

Good info to know, you are right the OP has a 2012 car Bigup has a MK2 so a very different car, just to clarify the thread even more so people are not confused between the two differences.

Unless of course the OP has a late MK2.5, I have seen them as late as 2011 so 2012 could still possibly be a MK 2.5?

Thanks guys

heres my car, no idea if its a Mk2 or a MK2.5

20161022_165321.jpg

20161022_165329_f.jpg

can i do the keyfob programming myself? (using the right kit)

Your is a MK 2.5 Bigup, yes programming the remote is easy and with Forscan and a decent ELM device you can program the transponder fairly easily.

• Like 2

Great! got the dongle orderer, it should be here any day

do i need to get the key cut first? or can i programme the key uncut?

you wouldn't happen to know any guides showing me how  to programme using Forscan?

Cut or uncut makes no difference, the issue usually is finding someone who will cut the blade for you. Most high street shops won't touch blades they have not supplied.

The guy i bought mine off from eBay is where I would recommend, he makes sure you have the correct transponder for your year of car, cuts the blade and provides the key all posted to you for £31. 

I have not actually used Forscan to program a Key as I have IDS so can't help you there, read up on the forscan forum about key coding.

http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839

Incode outcode generator, register and use it free to gain the incode after reading the outcode with Forscan.  http://autokeyprog.com

How to get the extended licence for Forscan http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=836

As you are just adding a new key you should not need to remove existing keys.

Select program PAT's in Forscan, it should then give you an outcode, put that outcode in the generator from the site listed above for the code, enter that code into forscan at the prompt and then from memory you need to initialise the HEC and PCM, should all be done from that one function screen I guess.

Then once transponders are programmed, use the ignition sequence to enter learning mode for the remote using your existing key, at the beep press a key on both remotes one after the other and each should give a chime, then cycle ignition again and try both remote functions.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club