Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1st gear very sluggish

SeanSedgwick

Hi all, 

I have a 12 plate Focus Titanium 1.6 TDCI.

Everytime I go to set off the car hardly picks up speed, I can be at 4K revs and still be at 5 mph with the engine roaring. But as soon as I change to 2nd gear the turbo kicks in and I'm at 30 before I know it.

I have drove a friends car which is the same as mine and it was a lot faster off the mark.

Any ideas? It's like my turbo isn't kicking in in 1st gear.

Help!

1st gear is for taking off only, as soon as you start moving you should be shifting straight into 2nd (between 2,000-2,500RPM).  It has nothing to do with power, but the gear ratio, hence why you are reving at 4,000RPM and only going 5MPH.  Nothing can change that I'm afraid.

but that answer does not address that he says he drove another of the same model that behaved better (but i don't have any suggestions other then an unlikely one of Ford having changed the mapping at some point and the two cars are either side of the change date )

3 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

1st gear is for taking off only, as soon as you start moving you should be shifting straight into 2nd (between 2,000-2,500RPM).  It has nothing to do with power, but the gear ratio, hence why you are reving at 4,000RPM and only going 5MPH.  Nothing can change that I'm afraid.

I understand that, however at 2,500 revs the car is going too slow to change gear. It wants to die when I change into second but when I rev higher in first, second is great.

Thats why I feel something is wrong, never felt this in any other car.

Certainly 5mph in first gear, even for a diesel, is more than possible.  I have had several diesel cars and each was capable of doing more than this! Double figures should at least be expected.

my 1.8 tdci was doing that, had to put way more revs in 1st of it just died then was ok, my car got worse and power level was bad, turned out was mass air flow, removed plug yo sensor and works fine again

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ajzetecs said:

my 1.8 tdci was doing that, had to put way more revs in 1st of it just died then was ok, my car got worse and power level was bad, turned out was mass air flow, removed plug yo sensor and works fine again

Remove which sensor?

take plug off the mass air flow sensor (MAF sensor). this is usually somewhere around the air intake. if faulty it can give false reading and make car run bad. I understand that if you unplug them on some cars (don't remove the sensor, just unplug it) then the ecu uses kind of average reading pre-programmed into it which is better then it being fed totally wrong readings from a faulty sensor.  I am not saying i think it is definitely that, I am just explaining what ajzetecs suggested 

• Like 2

I will try this tomorrow and let you know the results, thanks.

13 hours ago, isetta said:

take plug off the mass air flow sensor (MAF sensor). this is usually somewhere around the air intake. if faulty it can give false reading and make car run bad. I understand that if you unplug them on some cars (don't remove the sensor, just unplug it) then the ecu uses kind of average reading pre-programmed into it which is better then it being fed totally wrong readings from a faulty sensor.  I am not saying i think it is definitely that, I am just explaining what ajzetecs suggested 

I did this, turned my engine on and my engine light came on and it's reading at -40 degrees...

It seems a little more responsive in first, however that could be the way I'm driving it.

It's not your clutch slipping is it , hence high rpm and no momentum? 

How many miles the car done ? 

I don't think it is, got told I had a strong clutch.

95k miles

It seemed better without he maf sensor, but don't want the engine light on, and -40 degrees seems bad lol

Made a note after reading this post this morning (2008 1.6 tdci) and tried my car out in 1st on my way to work.  It's pretty smooth and 10mph was easily achievable..........

On 01/02/2017 at 6:49 PM, SeanSedgwick said:

I can be at 4K revs and still be at 5 mph

If the car is manual, and the above is literally true, then the clutch is slipping, or the tyres are spinning, without any shadow of doubt. 5mph in 1st is under 1000 rpm in my car, 4k would be at least 20mph. That is fixed by the gear ratios.

Something must be slipping to get 4k & 5mph, and badly too.

A slipping clutch, once it fully engages, may not start slipping again until either the torque goes quite high, or the clutch pedal is pressed. That is "stick-slip" friction.

• Like 1

I would do a clutch fluid flush, or at least do a partial change with a pump. There is a definite problem I just tried first gear last night and I got 24 mph but I did go over 4000 revs. The car did run smoother after that, maybe the high revs burnt some soot out of the car?

MAF sensor has been cleaned and the car seems normal now, much better at setting off.

Thanks everyone

• Like 1

Nice one mate, cheap easy fix is how we like it

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club