Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Control arms

F0CUE

I need new control arms and can't find the answer to if I need 18mm or 21mm ball joints. Some places say 21 and some 18. Came across something about if you have xenon's its 21 and halogens its 18. Can you shed on light any this please my head is mashed lol

I asked the local ford garage and was told they would not say cos I would get it elsewhere and they offer the correct OEM and aftermarket parts greedy gits lol All places list both sizes even by my reg so very confusing.

buy both sizes and if the one thats wrong just return them for a refund once you have had the correct ones fitted :smile:

• Like 1

there must be an easier way to identify what size ball joints are fitted (apart from physically measuring them) is there any relation to engine code/build date or disc size? (drums on rear etc) .. did ford just randomly picked parts they had in stock when producing the focus or was there a change over year when they uprated to 21mm?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, andypsp said:

buy both sizes and if the one thats wrong just return them for a refund once you have had the correct ones fitted :smile:

in my experience if you do this some places will give full refund on the unused parts but some will charge a fee or handling charge (I have seen it called a restocking fee but that terms does not really make sense)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, andypsp said:

Yeh a mechanic said that too but its crazy and guess its the only solution though cheers.

If you order online with your credit card your consumer rights are extended.If you return item within 14 days of purchase you are entitled to a full refund,you should be put back into the same position before you took out the purchase,it's the law,don't take any nonsense from them,unfortunately sometimes it's hassle and many just give up the pursuit of a few quid.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

ok....quoted from Haynes manual for Ford Focus Diesel 2005 t0 2009 (54 to 59 registration)

"Note that 2 different balljoints may be available. The balljoints are identical apart from the diameter

of the balljoint shank. The shank with the larger diameter taper is identified by a blue band on the gaiter, and

the smaller diameter taper by a yellow band".

Mine got an advisory last year so expecting to change them after this Monday 13th,when car goes for mot.

my local shop (pitstop in Mildenhall) stocks a couple of each size for each side so should be good.

• Like 1

If you read different forums and information then you will get slightly different answers. The only real way would be to measure, but a couple of manufacturers dictate that before a date in 2006 is 18mm and after that date in 2006 is 21mm.

I have ordered 21mm to do my own suspension with, and will be sending them back and swapping them if they're the wrong size.

• Like 1

If you order online with your credit card your consumer rights are extended.If you return item within 14 days of purchase you are entitled to a full refund,you should be put back into the same position before you took out the purchase,it's the law,don't take any nonsense from them,unfortunately sometimes it's hassle and not worth it and there hope is many just give up the pursuit of a few quid.

Nearly right! You can state your intention to cancel 14 days after receiving your goods, and then have a further 2 weeks to return them :)
  • Like 2

Yes,i stand corrected 30 days,even if you don't like the item and you order it online you can ask for a full refund.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club