Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashcam fitting

iaindickson

Hi new member in process of purchasing 56 reg Focus Titanium. On my Mondeo had a dash cam which served me well. Drivers getting worse and am looking to fit Blackvue DR650S . On mondeo no problem fixing middle of screen behind rear view mirror but looking at Focus large mirror and sensors so need to fit nearer passenger. Am concerned re electronics and was wondering if anyone  has fitted such dash cam and any advice?

Living in South Essex and wondering if anyone has got any recommendations re auto electricians they have used re fittings etc

Thanks in anticipation.

• Like 1

Hi. I fitted my dash cam (known as a B50 or the Wedge DashCam) to the bottom of the black sensor housing hence keeping it central to the windscreen. I found placing it to the left or right of this meant the sensor housing could be seen on the edge of the video.

As for hardwiring other members could tell you mine just goes to the 12v in the centre console between the seats. You could take at look at this topic here Dashcam on a Focus Mk3.5

See if Ford will fit it for you into an empty fuse slot?

If not it's really easy to do yourself once you find a switched live, if that's how you plan to run it or a permanent live if you have one of the boxes to run it through that monitors the battery and cuts it out if drops below a certain voltage. BlackVue are a great camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you really can't do it, Pulse on London Road in Southend/Westcliff area (Near Halfrauds) Will fit it. Their prices wern't bad back in the day. http://pulsecaraudio.com/

17 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

See if Ford will fit it for you into an empty fuse slot?

If not it's really easy to do yourself once you find a switched live, if that's how you plan to run it or a permanent live if you have one of the boxes to run it through that monitors the battery and cuts it out if drops below a certain voltage. BlackVue are a great camera.

Thanks for that. Was looking at Blackvue with attached box.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon84 said:

If you really can't do it, Pulse on London Road in Southend/Westcliff area (Near Halfrauds) Will fit it. Their prices wern't bad back in the day. http://pulsecaraudio.com/

Thanks will look at them 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Managed with help of son to run live from battery through engine compartment bonnet release grommet then through Blackvue Power magic and seems ok. Used cigarette fuse on panel as switched circuit. 

All appears ok.

• Like 2

Managed with help of son to run live from battery through engine compartment bonnet release grommet then through Blackvue Power magic and seems ok. Used cigarette fuse on panel as switched circuit. 
All appears ok.

Did you use an inline fuse for the yellow wire to the battery?

Son not here at present but dont think so. Wire direct from battery through grommet to blackvue power magic then blackvue power magic to switched fuse and connected via cigarette lighter connector to power magic. All still seems to work. Would you recommend or have used a fuse?

7 hours ago, iaindickson said:

Son not here at present but dont think so. Wire direct from battery through grommet to blackvue power magic then blackvue power magic to switched fuse and connected via cigarette lighter connector to power magic. All still seems to work. Would you recommend or have used a fuse?

Very much so!

I'd add a fuse in within a few inches of the battery, and another within a few inches of the switched fuse.

Much better to be safe than sorry

Fuse is there to protect the cable in the event of a fault/short.  In the event of a short, the cable insulation can melt, and even catch fire.  Don't ask how I know, fortunately not to do with cars...

I would absolutely recommend an inline fuse, you need something between the battery and the blackvue. As above the cable is at risk of melting and causing a fire. I think a 5amp fuse would be sufficient in this case. I have always carried a fire extinguisher in my car, just one of the wee ones as you never know. If you have added something or changed something with the cars electrics there is always an increased risk of fire.
By the way, I'm very jealous of your camera, I would love a blackvue but the wife won't sign off on it lol. Sticking with my drivepro for now.

Thank you for the valuable information 

Iain 

On Tuesday, March 07, 2017 at 3:58 PM, iaindickson said:

Hi new member in process of purchasing 56 reg Focus Titanium. On my Mondeo had a dash cam which served me well. Drivers getting worse and am looking to fit Blackvue DR650S . On mondeo no problem fixing middle of screen behind rear view mirror but looking at Focus large mirror and sensors so need to fit nearer passenger. Am concerned re electronics and was wondering if anyone  has fitted such dash cam and any advice?

Living in South Essex and wondering if anyone has got any recommendations re auto electricians they have used re fittings etc

Thanks in anticipation.

Guide Fitting Dual Camera DVR System Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5Click Here 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club