Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Sat Nav screen not working

Diggerat35

Hi ,

Have just joined in the hope of some clear advice. I bought a second hand Fiesta (63 Plate) about a year ago, really happy with car and it came complete with Sat nav. Car went in for it's first MOT and I asked them to look at the Sat Nav as the contrast on the screen was very bright (hard to see). I had tried adjusting through settings but NG. Ford garage initially said it should be covered under warranty but then later said, as traces of corrosion had been found on the screen the warranty would not cover it. I have challenged this with Ford Technical and with the dealer and have removed the Sat Nav to try and find the corrosion.

There is a thin chrome trim that goes around the screen and yes you can just make out some blemishes which look like the start of corrosion. Ford are adamant that they will not replace under warranty so as the unit has stopped working altogether now I am after some advice on where to get it repaired or get a replacement. If I remember correctly Ford quoted £500 for a new unit and £200 to fit. If I was to get a new unit and fit myself, will it require setting up or can I do that and save myself £200?

I would be asking the dealership to physically show you the corrosion they are seeing that invalidates the warranty and how corrosion has occurred in the first place. What warranty are you claiming off? Is it an extended warranty from when you bought the car? If it is then it may not include audio components, the extended warranty is quite basic in my experience. If you haven't already, contact Ford directly and ask them to speak to the dealer for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went into the Ford garage and they showed me the photo's they took and sent to the Sat Nav manufacturer. I have removed the Sat Nav unit and can now see what they mean. Having said that, the so called corrosion looks like blemish marks on a narrow chrome trim which goes around the screen. Apparently in the past people have tried to put drinks on the dash in this area and ended up spilling them, that's why the manufacturer (of the Sat Nav) will not honour the warranty if there are any signs of corrosion. I have also been told that spraying dash cleaner directly onto the screen to clean it is another reason for the corrosion. The Ford dealership has been quite good to be fair, the warranty I have from them when I bought the car did not include the audio. I have already been in contact with Ford Technical lot, they spoke to the dealership and there is not a lot more they will do to help. I just need to find out now if anybody repairs these Sat Nav's or will I have to get another one. If I get another can I fit it or will the dealership have to do it. Having worked on other cars I know that on a lot of audio units fitted to new cars, now have the VIN number written to them, if this is the case then its not something I can buy from Ford and fit myself.

Ah right, I see. I'm not sure about the fitting of a new unit sorry. I'm sure someone else will be able to help though. Have you asked the dealership to do some kind of 'goodwill gesture' when it comes to the cost? As you said the dealership did say that it should be covered by warranty, maybe they will go 59/50 with you or do free fitting? It's worth an ask

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cost of a new unit is an eye watering £683. Trouble is without it I've got all those functions combined with the stereo and hands free that I can't use. I am waiting to hear from a company on the internet that may be able to fix the unit. If that turns out to be a non starter I'll  have to explain to the kids, wife, pets and Grandparents what their early Christmas present is going to be this year, I'm sure they will all relish having a play with the Sat Nav if and when I get the new unit!!!!!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club