Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecoboost oil over max

123456he

Bought my car around 2 months ago, its a 16 plate fiesta ecoboost and had done around 2000 miles when I bought it. Have now done another 2200 miles in it, so decided to check fluid levels. The oil is showing it way over the max, like 10-12mm! Am I being stupid here and missing something? I checked it 4 times when cold and on level ground. Im now concerned I have done some damage to the engine. I would take it back to the ford dealer that I bought it from but they are 60 miles away. 

I've added a very basic photo of the oil levels, red being minimum, orange max and green the level its at now.

The car has been running perfectly btw

Any input would be great, cheers

image.jpeg

vehicles with 1.0L EcoBoost engines built from 04/2014 a variety of the oil level height could be recognized on the dipstick by the customer most likely after maintenance service.

In some cases the engine oil level shown is a few mm over max. level chamfer. Due to engine build up tolerance and the variety of oil drainage and physical parameter there is a tolerance of 2 – 4 mm oil level over max. chamfer. This condition will not effect reliability or long term durability of the engine and will not cause any oil push-over. This applies to all carlines with 1.0L EcoBoost engine.
so basically up to 4mm over is ok , but 10-12mm is excessive.

• Like 2

Okay, cheers for the quick reply. Must add that i had checked the oil after the car had been sat around 24 hours so was stone cold. Had a quick look in the manual and it says to check 10 minutes after switch off, does this sound right? 

Gave it a quick 10 minute drive and checked the oil about 10 minutes after engine switch off and again 30 minutes later and both times the level was well within the min and max markers. So I'm hoping that this is the true reading?

Thanks again

18 hours ago, 123456he said:

Okay, cheers for the quick reply. Must add that i had checked the oil after the car had been sat around 24 hours so was stone cold. Had a quick look in the manual and it says to check 10 minutes after switch off, does this sound right? 

Gave it a quick 10 minute drive and checked the oil about 10 minutes after engine switch off and again 30 minutes later and both times the level was well within the min and max markers. So I'm hoping that this is the true reading?

Thanks again

Worth a quick call to ford/pop into your local dealer see what thy say, not a problem I've seen mentioned on here before.

I have had a 1.0 EcoBoost from new and it was overfilled with oil when I got it new.  Every time it has been serviced it has come back overfilled. I check the oil level every month and it has never got down to the full mark but it runs fine and the fuel consumption is OK.  I usually check it when cold but next time I will check it 10 mins after switch off to see if that makes a difference. 

• Like 1

Checked the oil first thing this morning.  It was 3 - 4mm overfilled (had a recent service and this is the least amount it has been overfilled).  I went out driving and when I got home I waited 10 minutes after switching off, as it says in the handbook, and the oil level was right on the full mark.  So I suppose the oil is at the correct level, however I think my preferred method of checking the oil when cold so that all the oil has drained back into the sump is more accurate and that is what I have been doing for many years.

The thing is if you check the oil after the car has been standing overnight all the oil from the upper parts of the engine will have had time to return to the sump thus increasing the level on the dipstick.  10 minutes after the engine has been running a lot of that oil will still be in the upper engine and therefore the level in the sump will be lower.

Personally I'd go by what the manual says, and if that is to check it after it has been running then that's what I'd do. 

• Like 1

If you think this is a problem get underneath take out the sump plug and drain a bit off( do it quickly so the whole lot doesn't come out) recheck the level and put a bit back in to the correct level. TBH a bit over the level won't hurt as lt long as its not to much.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club