Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen scratches

twilightflyer

Hi everyone, anyone got any ideas on how to remove scratches on my windscreen, they are not deep only surface marks.

Ta much

Hi everyone, anyone got any ideas on how to remove scratches on my windscreen, they are not deep only surface marks.

Ta much

Fairly certain that there is nothing you can do. Glass is a very hard material, harder than steel, so theres nothing you can do. Apart from replacing the screen :huh:

Ta much

An ex-colleague of mine used to use toothpaste to buff out wiper scratches. CIF bath cleaner is also a mild abrasive. The glass used for laminated windscreens is very soft. Coachbuilders have regular use for a variety of grades of gamma-alumina powder for cutting-back ripply layers of top-coat, before spraying on another. I have used this myself, and gave some to a co-worker who is very fussy about scratches;-- he was most appreciative.

More recently, I have removed stone-chip damage to my Son's 2003 IBIZA, using "T-CUT" on his headlamps. That did a rapid job, followed up with an application of car-polish of a polymer-sealant variety, either Autoglym or Sonax.

When polishing-out windscreen scratches, a large area must be covered, to ensure that the wipers can sweep the surface without encountering dips. I would finish off with a good rinse, and apply a product such as "RAINX", and fit a new pair of wipers. (bin the ones that did the scratching).

An ex-colleague of mine used to use toothpaste to buff out wiper scratches. CIF bath cleaner is also a mild abrasive. The glass used for laminated windscreens is very soft. Coachbuilders have regular use for a variety of grades of gamma-alumina powder for cutting-back ripply layers of top-coat, before spraying on another. I have used this myself, and gave some to a co-worker who is very fussy about scratches;-- he was most appreciative.

More recently, I have removed stone-chip damage to my Son's 2003 IBIZA, using "T-CUT" on his headlamps. That did a rapid job, followed up with an application of car-polish of a polymer-sealant variety, either Autoglym or Sonax.

When polishing-out windscreen scratches, a large area must be covered, to ensure that the wipers can sweep the surface without encountering dips. I would finish off with a good rinse, and apply a product such as "RAINX", and fit a new pair of wipers. (bin the ones that did the scratching).

Toothpaste and Cif - hard enough to cut glass! :blink: Never tried it so cant say your wrong, but its the first I've heard of it! :o

If you give this a go twilightflyer, let us know how you get on, would love to know if this works as it would come in useful no doubt :)

Toothpaste and Cif - hard enough to cut glass! :blink: Never tried it so cant say your wrong, but its the first I've heard of it! :o

If you give this a go twilightflyer, let us know how you get on, would love to know if this works as it would come in useful no doubt :)

To be fair Jonny he said use Cif and toothpaste to clear the wiper marks, not to cut the top layer of glass ;)

IIRC there are a few different things that can be done to remove scratches to the glass (just don't ask me what they are, although DONFRAMAC sounds like he knows what's what when it comes to problems of this ilk :))

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club