Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 fiesta steering wheel in a mk6

0121 johnny

Hi people. Just letting everyone know it Is possible to fit a mk7 steering wheel into a mk6 fiesta with a bit if modification. Still working on radio controls getting them wired up.

20170614_181540.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looks good!! Hope you manage to get it all functioning okay. I've thought about doing something similar as I've always thought the facelifted Mk6 interior was let down by the unchanged steering wheel; especially in my Zetec Blue with quirky colour scheme and Sony stereo. Plus I'm all about the OEM modernising modifications! I think I'd either get a low-end Mk7 steering wheel without audio controls (that would mean sacrificing leather though) and keep them on the column; or try to wire up the audio controls on a steering wheel with them fitted (as in yours). Would probs get one without cruise control though as I don't like redundant buttons! I made a quick and crude Snapchat edit! Could look good...

IMG_9453.JPG

personally i prefer audio controls like on my old mk6.5,  i now have mk7.5 but i find audio controls on wheel annoying beacuse when you are driving and cornering or stopped at junction with wheel turned the buttons are never in the same place. on the column you always knew exactly where they were without looking. 

• 2 years later...

Has anyone been able to do it yet as I would like to do this as well but not sure what I need in order to do this.

On 7/20/2017 at 6:42 AM, liampatrick said:

Looks good!! Hope you manage to get it all functioning okay. I've thought about doing something similar as I've always thought the facelifted Mk6 interior was let down by the unchanged steering wheel; especially in my Zetec Blue with quirky colour scheme and Sony stereo. Plus I'm all about the OEM modernising modifications! I think I'd either get a low-end Mk7 steering wheel without audio controls (that would mean sacrificing leather though) and keep them on the column; or try to wire up the audio controls on a steering wheel with them fitted (as in yours). Would probs get one without cruise control though as I don't like redundant buttons! I made a quick and crude Snapchat edit! Could look good...

IMG_9453.JPG

You could get a top end (ST) wheel and just change out the V trim for a low end one, so you’d have the best wheel but no redundant buttons. Low end trims are cheap at breakers as most people want to upgrade. 

• 1 year later...

Hi was it difficult to do what modifications need to be done or is there a how to somewhere tia

3 hours ago, Markf2447 said:

Hi was it difficult to do what modifications need to be done or is there a how to somewhere tia

I suspect there's not a great deal of differences in the two cars, I've changed over several MK7 steering wheels in the past, the airbag is held in place by two strong spring clips, which are anchored onto the steering wheel, one eitherside of the rear of the steering wheel, you'll need to remove all the steering column surrounds to gain better access to the rear of the steering wheel, rotating the wheel until you see a square opening, you'll then see a rod behind the steel, this rod has to be hooked and then lifted off, using a screwdriver, using a mirror to see what you are doing does help, the spring clips can be a faff if you don't know how the clip works.

Refitting the airbag is just a matter of ensuring everything is wired back up and level with the steering wheel and pushing back on, the spring clips will ride over the hooks and lock in place, test the horn after fitting.

Before you even attempt to remove the airbag disconnect the main battery and leave the car alone for ten minutes, this allows all the electricity to discharge from everywhere, you are messing with an electric airbag, so ensure there's no power.

3 hours ago, Markf2447 said:

Youtube can be helpful! The MK7 steering wheel....

I think he’s enquiring about modifications to allow a mk7 wheel in a mk6 allowing the buttons to work -not replacing a mk7 steering wheel with another mk7

Hi I'm wondering if the mk7 is a straight fit into the mk6 ie no difference in steering column and airbag wiring 

I'm not worried about stereo controls working

Thanks

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, mickywrx said:

SP?

Sneaky Peeker 🤣

They like to check back for a look at the replies but make no comment

• Like 1

Just now, unofix said:

Sneaky Peeker 🤣

They like to check back for a look at the replies but make no comment

I'll work out the abbreviations at some point. 🙄😂

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club