Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EcoBoost degas hose question

Pebbleheed

Today I received the MK3.5 coolant hoses.

DfDaGyo.jpg

Jr3S9JH.jpg

Next to the hoses I also have a spare reservoir and reservoir cap on stock.

fUfqc1x.jpg

H3MYvYb.jpg

In case the existing reservoir (which is 2.5 Years old) shows any signs of (micro)cracks or discolouration the reservoir and cap will be replaced right away. These are inexpensive parts anyway. 

I plan to convert the cooling system to MK3.5 specs. next weekend. Despite the coolant is only a Year old I decided to replace it anyway.

nThUdCu.jpg

This coolant is pretty inexpensive and I have more than enough on stock.

To fill the cooling system I use an adapter with a combined pressure/vacuum gauge that I designed and made myself. The adapter is installed instead of the reservoir cap and has an airtight seal (O-ring). Using this adapter I can pressure test and vacuum trest the cooling system and after the vacuum test the vacuum inside the cooling system is sufficient to fill the coolant system without any air. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone looked at the stats (temperature) when driving?

Job for today. My turn to replace degas hose for MK3.5 ones

1544700756676399764415.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

HI Guys,

Been travelling home on motorway, and found got the engine malfunction light. Have now just found out that there is a split in the degas hose. Where is the best place to purchase the hose...need asap. 

I'm not that savvy on cars,but my Focus is my little pride & joy. Thanks for any help

11 hours ago, Madness1973 said:

HI Guys,

Been travelling home on motorway, and found got the engine malfunction light. Have now just found out that there is a split in the degas hose. Where is the best place to purchase the hose...need asap. 

I'm not that savvy on cars,but my Focus is my little pride & joy. Thanks for any help

You can only buy them from Ford dealers.  There was a long wait and high price last time I checked though!  

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

You can only buy them from Ford dealers.  There was a long wait and high price last time I checked though!  

Phoned local dealer today (got 2 in stock) priced £32.99 + VAT

44 minutes ago, Madness1973 said:

Phoned local dealer today (got 2 in stock) priced £32.99 + VAT

Yep, that's the price now, £40 for that poor quality pipe that'll split again in a few years time. 😮

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yep, that's the price now, £40 for that poor quality pipe that'll split again in a few years time. 😮

Yes indeed, I just ordered the mk 3.5 hoses = £46 inc vat from rates-ford/ebay.  Well worth it to soothe the paranoia. 

• Like 1

Converted mine today to mk 3.5 pipes they fit well, just felt the need to turn the pipe on the bottle clockwise a bit as it was sticking up a bit high and moved the vibration dampers more suitably. 

IMG_20190603_155323.thumb.jpg.1fc8cf702845adc3743b54eff2de2e71.jpg

Thanks for the info and posters contributions, already feel better knowing that plastic T piece is eliminated. 👍

Should the degas hose on the 1.6 EB be replaced with a mk3.5 as well if it has went through the coolant issue recall?

The 1.6 ECOboost is only used in the MK3. This engine was never used in the MK3.5. In the MK3.5 Ford introduced the 4-cilinder 1.5 ECOboost which superseded the old 1.6 ECOboost.

Despite being an improved / further developed version of the same base engine (Sigma engine family) the 1.5 ECOboost has a lot of differences compared to the 1.6 ECOboost. Because of this the coolant hoses of the 1.5 ECOboost (MK3.5) do not fit on the 1.6 ECOboost (MK3).

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 5:01 PM, 0shiny1 said:

Yes indeed, I just ordered the mk 3.5 hoses = £46 inc vat from rates-ford/ebay.  Well worth it to soothe the paranoia. 

Any chance you could throw an eBay link up of these parts please?

My Degas hose which was recalled 3 years ago and fixed has split at the small T junction plastic pipe so I'm looking to upgrade the pipes aswell.

Edited, I think I've found them on eBay Rates Fords.

Does anyone know if Fords are paying for repairs to the little plastic pipe off the T junction after the original recall on the Degas hose?

If I can just fix it myself for less than £50 I don't see the point in getting it in for a diagnostic test which is what my local dealership is telling me must be done.

The cost of that would be over £100 and they may not pay for the repairs a second time around.

11 hours ago, Chris1973 said:

Does anyone know if Fords are paying for repairs to the little plastic pipe off the T junction after the original recall on the Degas hose?

If I can just fix it myself for less than £50 I don't see the point in getting it in for a diagnostic test which is what my local dealership is telling me must be done.

The cost of that would be over £100 and they may not pay for the repairs a second time around.

I'm not certain but am pretty sure the "updated" hose with that T piece isn't subject to recall (even though it's still clearly a bad design).

It's not too bad to just do the conversion yourself if you're used to a bit of car maintenance you should be fine.  The bottom engine hose clip was a bit of a pain for me to fit pliers onto, I took my sweet time and it took me an hour, coz I like to faff..  I personally did not drain the system as my coolant is fairly new but I was quick with getting the new pipes on so didn't loose much, you will need at least a 1ltr bottle of coolant as well.

Links to both pipes:

2122838 (don't worry that the description says air con). 

30 minutes ago, 0shiny1 said:

I'm not certain but am pretty sure the "updated" hose with that T piece isn't subject to recall (even though it's still clearly a bad design).

It's not too bad to just do the conversion yourself if you're used to a bit of car maintenance you should be fine.  The bottom engine hose clip was a bit of a pain for me to fit pliers onto, I took my sweet time and it took me an hour, coz I like to faff..  I personally did not drain the system as my coolant is fairly new but I was quick with getting the new pipes on so didn't loose much, you will need at least a 1ltr bottle of coolant as well.

Links to both pipes:

2122838 (don't worry that the description says air con). 

Nice one, think I'm gonna do it with my mate who is used to getting his head in the engine.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys...so earlier this year I sold my '63 plate 1.0 Ecoboost to my eldest daughter after running it myself for about 15 months prior to that. When I bought the car the first thing I checked was that the degas hose had been replaced with the rubber one, rather than the plastic one, and as it had then I was happy....however, this morning she rings me to tell me that the car had overheated on her, whilst travelling to work. I immediately suspected that it could be the degas hose that had failed and this was subsequently confirmed by the breakdown guy who turned up. I managed to get one from our local Ford dealer and whilst there asked if Ford were still replacing engines if terminal damage had been caused and they confirmed that this was still the case and asked for the car taking in. So, I drove the 40 miles to her work, fitted the new hose, topped up the coolant and started the engine. No warning lights came on and the temp gauge soon went up to normal and stayed there, but there was a tiny amount of water dripping out of the exhaust (condensation, I think) and we weren't sure whether there was the slightest of rattles coming from the engine ??

So, rather than risk her driving the car back home we contacted her recovery and they have now brought the car back to the Ford garage for further investigation.

I am aware that damage can soon be caused once these engines overheat and am expecting the worst from the garage when they do get back to me, probably tomorrow.

So what do people think about us getting a satisfactory outcome from Ford ??

Are they just replacing engines once they are happy that the problem has been caused by the failed degas hose, or are they likely to try and fob us off ??

(The car has covered approximately 45k miles with full dealer service history up to me purchasing the vehicle - from a Ford dealer - and I serviced it last time and have receipts to prove it - approximately 8 months ago ?)

Update...our local Ford dealer checked the car out yesterday morning and are satisfied that no damage has been done to the engine. I took it for a spin after collecting it and all seems fine now (hopefully), so it looks like we got lucky. Regardless of this, I have ordered the MK3.5 hoses from them anyway, even though the parts guy said that they were NOT showing as being compatible with the Mk3 and I even managed to persuade them to give me 10% discount which brings them down to around £47 for the pair, so will be looking at fitting them next weekend.

I asked about a full warranty refund on the £38 hose that I had to buy on Thursday but the parts guy said that "officially" Ford would be unlikely to agree to this as I had fitted the part prior to the vehicle going in to them for the engine check, but he would speak to them and "see what he could sort out" !! Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the Mk3.5 hoses on Saturday (took about an hour including removing/refitting the undertray) and all seems fine now.

Called back in at the stealers on Friday to enquire about the £38 refund but they stated that it is in the hands of their "Ford Champion" and that it can take up to 60 days to sort out warranty refunds !!!!!!

Not happy but not a lot I can do about it. 

Hello

I just bought a 2015 1.0 Ecoboost 100ps Fiesta. Am i in the clear, it doesn't look anything like this in this thread. Regular service history, should still have warranty.

spacer.png

The Fiesta MK7.5  1.0 ECOboost degas hose is completely different from the Focus MK3  1.0 ECOboost degas hose. 

There was never a recall for the Fiesta 1.0 ECOboost degas hose and Ford never changed the design of the hoses on the Fiesta MK7.5

• Like 2

Thank you @JW1982! i just kept searching for ecoboost 1.0 specific issues and tunnel visioned the whole thing, and i assumed it was for all 1.0 ecoboosts. Some sites don't specify which models just talk 1.0 ecoboosts and 1.6 but not fiesta or focus. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2019 at 3:49 PM, Phil3747 said:

Fitted the Mk3.5 hoses on Saturday (took about an hour including removing/refitting the undertray) and all seems fine now.

Called back in at the stealers on Friday to enquire about the £38 refund but they stated that it is in the hands of their "Ford Champion" and that it can take up to 60 days to sort out warranty refunds !!!!!!

Not happy but not a lot I can do about it. 

***UPDATE**** the 60 days is now up and unsurprisingly I hadn't heard anything from the Stealer, so I went back down this morning to chase it up. They checked the computer and said that they hadn't heard anything back from Ford yet, BUT the reception guy then went to speak with the warranty guy and returned five minutes later to say that THEY would refund me the £38.93 cost of the hose (even though they said that this was not possible when I suggested this on my last visit !!!).

They are contacting their accounts department to get me a cheque for the full amount in the next few days.....RESULT 😄

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I’ve got a 2012 1.0ltr Ecoboost and have been having real trouble lately. It’s been leaking coolant, but it seems to be leaking into the driver and rear passenger footwell. I presume this is from the air con units? Does this sound like a problem with the degas pipe? 

Ive had it in the garage for a new coolant tank but the issue still isn’t fixed. It wasn’t a ford dealer I went to. They quoted me £280 for an investigation and said ford would only pay if the issue was part of the recall error. Don’t really want to spend £300 on an investigation alone to be told that it’s something else I have to pay for myself. 

I don’t know if I’m just being messed about as I don’t have a clue about cars, so don’t really know what to do next?? 

Coolant leaking into the footwell has nothing to do with the degas hose. The degas hose is installed between the turbocharger, thermostat housing and the coolant reservoir. If the degas hose fails the coolant will leak in the engine bay.

Coolant leaking into the footwell is most likely caused by either a defective heater core or a failed O-ring betwwen the aluminium coolant pipes and the heater core.