Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A few Xtrons questions

rhyds

Having had a quick look around the forum it seems that Xtrons head units are a popular upgrade. However I'm still not clear on a few things

1: Which is the best unit to get? I'm not interested in having a DVD player so the choice seems to be between Android 7.1 and Android 8. What are people's experiences?

2: Are there any recommended sellers?

3: I'm looking at having a DAB unit, does the Xtrons have the DAB tuner built in or is it an external dongle? Also, is it possible to plug the Xtrons DAB tuner/Dongle in to a standard Focus DAB aerial? 

4: Will the GPS antenna/unit work behind the dash or does it need mounting behind the A-pillar trim?

My GPS antenna is on top of the metal support under the dash, professionally secured with duct tape...

Which model are you looking at?

My GPS antenna is on top of the metal support under the dash, professionally secured with duct tape...
Which model are you looking at?
Duct tape: the finest of mounting systems

I've been looking at this unit

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202022690327
  • Haha 1

I didn't buy an 'xtron' unit, but from a different seller. Very happy with mine, bought it about 3-4 years ago, not a single issue since.

I've simply placed my GPS antenna flat on the left hand corner of the dash (up near the glass where the windshield slopes up), and it works perfectly fine. Secured with blue-tack lol, but it's never moved once.

That's one of the new quad core models, Xda-developers have a load of information on them on their website. The price has come down a little, I paid £227 for mine about 2-3 years ago. I updated mine with custom firmware but it is still a little slow on occasion (especially whilst using the wifi network), when trying to do multiple things.

Mine is one of the older ones but the external case looks the same - the DAB is an external dongle that may or may not be included (check the description carefully) - i'm not sure if it'll plug and play with the Focus antenna but probably will knowing the rest of the wiring is plug and play to the quad-lock connector. The reverse signal is interpreted from the canbus network and there is an option to either get ignition status from the canbus or the ignition terminal in your quadlock (if it's there).

Thanks for the info. TBH I'm not sure how much hacking/modding of it I'll be doing, but its nice to know there's some 3rd party development for it.

Hi 

sorry to hijack the thread, but how simple are these to install? Never done anything like it before, is it a very simple take the old stereo out unplug it and plug the new one in?

7 hours ago, Jonnyvr46 said:

Hi 

sorry to hijack the thread, but how simple are these to install? Never done anything like it before, is it a very simple take the old stereo out unplug it and plug the new one in?

There's probably a how-to somewhere on here, but in general, on a MK2.5/Facelift it goes like this:

1: Make sure you have the code!

2: Unclip the plastic surround that goes around the radio and heater controls, a small lever will be needed to start it off but it should come away reasonably easily

3: Once the surround is off the head unit itself is held in by 4 screws, take these out and the radio will come away. You'll need to release the quadlock connector (there's a lever that pulls up to do this) and the radio aerial(s) and the unit will come out

4: If you've got bluetooth/voice control then I'm told the unit (behind the glovebox) needs to be disconnected if you're not using a Ford head unit

As for installing the Xtrons unit, from what I gather it has a quadlock connector on it so should plug straight in, and you'll have to find places for any add-ons you've gone for (GPS etc.)

On 20/02/2018 at 8:47 PM, rhyds said:

There's probably a how-to somewhere on here, but in general, on a MK2.5/Facelift it goes like this:

1: Make sure you have the code!

2: Unclip the plastic surround that goes around the radio and heater controls, a small lever will be needed to start it off but it should come away reasonably easily

3: Once the surround is off the head unit itself is held in by 4 screws, take these out and the radio will come away. You'll need to release the quadlock connector (there's a lever that pulls up to do this) and the radio aerial(s) and the unit will come out

4: If you've got bluetooth/voice control then I'm told the unit (behind the glovebox) needs to be disconnected if you're not using a Ford head unit

As for installing the Xtrons unit, from what I gather it has a quadlock connector on it so should plug straight in, and you'll have to find places for any add-ons you've gone for (GPS etc.)

Do you need to bother disconnecting the battery?

I didn't, but made sure the driver's window was open and the ignition key was in my pocket just in case!

I've just put my xtrons in last night and can confirm that it is a easy 5 minute job.

I didn't disconnect the battery either.

Gonna have to pull the unit out again at the weekend to pop in the GPS antenna.

12 minutes ago, Ferrit said:

I've just put my xtrons in last night and can confirm that it is a easy 5 minute job.

I didn't disconnect the battery either.

Gonna have to pull the unit out again at the weekend to pop in the GPS antenna.

Where did you get your unit?

50 minutes ago, rhyds said:

Where did you get your unit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-Dash-7-Car-Stereo-DVD-Android-7-1-GPS-WiFi-OBD2-DAB-Ford-S-Max-C-Max-Galaxy/183089098638?_trkparms=pageci%3A717b4aff-1beb-11e8-893c-74dbd1804a2c|parentrq%3Ad88232d31610ab135b66ef27ffff9797|iid%3A1&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236

That is listing is for the mk2 but they have custom fit ones for the mk2.5 and standard double din units as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick hijack, but do any of you have rear parking sensors? And did they continue to work after swapping out the stereo for one of these Android ones?

I have aftermarket sensors so yes, if you disconnect the factory radio you should be able to see if it will affect yours.

• 2 years later...

Hi does anyone have any problems with battery drain with their XTRONS stereo

14 hours ago, Painterchris said:

Nope, however any battery drain probably wont be the head unit itself, but the CANbus decoder box.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 7:59 AM, Painterchris said:

If this is a problem which you  currently experience; then I'd advise you to fit a piggy back fuse adapter to a fuse which becomes live with the ignition such as the wipers, 

Then run a new cable to the headunit or device in question;

Alternatively fit a switch 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 7:59 AM, Painterchris said:

Only when I had the ACC and permanent live mixed up when I initially installed the head unit, no problems in the 18 months since.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Can I be another hijacker. I put a screen lock on and don't remember how I done it now I want to take it off. I can't find how to do this anywhere. it is android 10 installed on the system. Wonder if anyone can help please

38 minutes ago, jimmy.on said:

Can I be another hijacker. I put a screen lock on and don't remember how I done it now I want to take it off. I can't find how to do this anywhere. it is android 10 installed on the system. Wonder if anyone can help please

I suspect you'll have to factory reset the unit, just as you would on a mobile phone.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club