• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strutter

• mikester

• iNath

• kirst88

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, and sorry for the slight thread necromancy I may be inducing here, but after seeing an advert for this car, I did some googling and this came up.

Many people have argued about how hideous this car is, but I'm guessing not many of you are young drivers.

I am 18 years old, I currently drive a 1.6 Clio. My insurance for this is around £4000 a year now. It was previously about £5200. It's not necessarily a fast car, it's not a sport model or anything, it has a bunch of the optional extras, but is very much a mother's car. (Which it was). When it came to me passing my test, I really wanted a slick looking, perhaps even aggressive car - not ridiculously so, I'm not into the "I want my car to look like something out of 2 fast 2 furious" culture. But I wanted something unique. Everything I came across, even if not particularly fast, that had "sport" in the title, was going to cost about the same to insure, if I would even get insurance.

I looked up a quote for one of these, and it seems to be around £1600. That, to me, sounds amazing. If this had been around when I had first started driving I would've been dying to buy one, and you all seem convinced it's a horrible idea. "All show, no go" - The young market this is aimed at can't have "go". But why should that mean we are not allowed something with a bit of presence? Okay, this isn't the most gorgeous of cars, and maybe the stickers are a step too far, but it beats having a stock model that your grandmother drives.

I have to say, at the price I pay for insurance I'm not surprised all my friends use fronting or even drive uninsured. There should be more offers on cars for young people.

But, if you guys are so against this car, what do you suggest I, or any other young driver looking for a nice car, does?

By a standard Fiesta Edge, and with the money left over use it to get alloys/ kit yoruself.

Not that difficult really.

Hey there, and sorry for the slight thread necromancy I may be inducing here, but after seeing an advert for this car, I did some googling and this came up.

Many people have argued about how hideous this car is, but I'm guessing not many of you are young drivers.

I am 18 years old, I currently drive a 1.6 Clio. My insurance for this is around £4000 a year now. It was previously about £5200. It's not necessarily a fast car, it's not a sport model or anything, it has a bunch of the optional extras, but is very much a mother's car. (Which it was). When it came to me passing my test, I really wanted a slick looking, perhaps even aggressive car - not ridiculously so, I'm not into the "I want my car to look like something out of 2 fast 2 furious" culture. But I wanted something unique. Everything I came across, even if not particularly fast, that had "sport" in the title, was going to cost about the same to insure, if I would even get insurance.

I looked up a quote for one of these, and it seems to be around £1600. That, to me, sounds amazing. If this had been around when I had first started driving I would've been dying to buy one, and you all seem convinced it's a horrible idea. "All show, no go" - The young market this is aimed at can't have "go". But why should that mean we are not allowed something with a bit of presence? Okay, this isn't the most gorgeous of cars, and maybe the stickers are a step too far, but it beats having a stock model that your grandmother drives.

I have to say, at the price I pay for insurance I'm not surprised all my friends use fronting or even drive uninsured. There should be more offers on cars for young people.

But, if you guys are so against this car, what do you suggest I, or any other young driver looking for a nice car, does?

i'm more against the false advertising of 'great for young drivers' that is pummeled at us... it IS A MODIFIED fiesta, thus will hike your insurance IF you declare it thus making it not good for young drivers.

yeah you might say its only got a black roof and black wheels, but you say it looks slick and sporty... what must a car thief think... its made more of a target by the stuff added, insurance company will cotton on to this and claim as you never declared the stuff they didn't realise how attractive it was to theft and thus void your policy.

insurance companies aren't stupid.

Mate go for it, people on here dislike and feel they have to slate anything that is different to what they have.

Frozen white seems to be one of the most popular colours at the moment. I've seen sooo many modified frozen white fiestas, most have gone for black alloys, a few have sprayed black or wrapped their roof in black vinyl, and many other plan to do it. This already comes with both those.

The car looks good, a lot better than the style, style+ and the zetec, I do agree that the stickers are awful though.

And you're right, insurance for youngsters is ridiculous. However, have you looked at any other models, I drive the Zetec S TDCi and the insurance for that was quite reasonable.

Thing is, you'll declare it as a fiesta GTR, they won't have a clue what you are on about, so you'll say its an Edge, but when they find out it's got the body kit and aftermarket alloys your insurance is void!

This argument that it would be better to do the modifications myself is completely void, because that will either send the insurance sky high or completely disable me from getting insured on it.

My clio currently has a spoiler (factory fitted), and when I phoned up I thought it counted as a modification. However because it's factory fitted it didn't add to the insurance. If I had fitted it myself, however, I wouldn't have been able to get insured at all.

As for checking on other models, it seems that on anything less than 8-10 years old, that has an engine bigger than 1.3, and is remotely attractive, I can not get insured on. At the moment I'm riding it out with this Clio until I reach 21 and can finally get insurance on something nicer. I'd quite like an old 3-series/5-series if I'm honest. Or the old Mondeo ST 240.

I think there's something seriously wrong with how insurance is priced for young male drivers, it tends to be those of us that are the least threat to others that are paying stupidly high insurance, generally stuck with a car that is essentially a box, four wheels and a hair dryer, and then those of us who are the big threat (chavvy-boy racer types) are avoiding paying insurance or fronting, and get to drive something... "nice" (by their terms).

Which is why I like the concept, at least, of this GT-R, something that isn't a bog standard model, and doesn't have an engine that makes it outwith a young persons insurance range.

Insurance is ridiculously expensive for young drivers but you've just got to ride it out really as there's nothing you can do.

I found the best strategy is just make do with what you can afford to insure at the time. I started off with a 1.1 when I was 17, then got a 1.25 when I was 18 and now I'm onto a 1.6 which I got when I was 21. The way I look at it is if I'd had a car as fast/good as I wanted when I was 17 - a) I'd probably have killed myself, b ) I couldn't really have afforded to put fuel in it and c) I'd have nothing to look forward to when I was older. Cheaper car insurance and having more money to spend on cars is one of the key benefits that I'm looking forward to about getting older!

I kind of agree with you about the concept of the 'GT-R' being a good idea - but in reality it looks rubbish and is just a sales ploy to shift some base models.

Yes, fitting it yourself is more, all I did was add the 17" alloys, and spoiler, insurance was £10 a month more, £120 a year!

This argument that it would be better to do the modifications myself is completely void, because that will either send the insurance sky high or completely disable me from getting insured on it.

My clio currently has a spoiler (factory fitted), and when I phoned up I thought it counted as a modification. However because it's factory fitted it didn't add to the insurance. If I had fitted it myself, however, I wouldn't have been able to get insured at all.

But your argument there is void because the GTR did not leave the factory as it is. It left the factory as an Edge model and all these modifications should be declared? Declaring mods will increase insurance so it still would have been cheaper to do them yourself.

I think the GTR's concept is very good!

I think the outcome could have been better!

For example they should make a car, with the full works (body kit), name it something appropriate, the word GTR makes me think of something else! Still put a small engine in and ford should declare as a separate car, i.e. the S1600 is a ZS, but its declared as a S1600. At the minute the car is basically a modified basic fiesta, by a branch, NOT ford.

I would be interested to know how the insurance companies look at the car!

For example they should make a car, with the full works (body kit), name it something appropriate... Still put a small engine in and ford should declare as a separate car.

The problem there is that the manufacturer runs the risk of getting a reputation for building gutless chav mobiles.

Best example,

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/peugeot_107_92442642776655072.jpg

The problem there is that the manufacturer runs the risk of getting a reputation for building gutless chav mobiles.

i agree, however i think with a little thought they could successfully pull it off. At the end of the day, its clearly a market people need to address!

Look how successful the Saxo was!

• 1 year later...

Seems quite cheap for a limited edition at under £13K. Plus it has no front fog lights like a ZS.

You say that's a good price? I paid that exact amount for my S1600 which is limited edition to, difference being mine has a 134bhp, that has 82 I think, leather seats, exhausts etc. the metals are the same to :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club