smax official trouble topic
Have something to contribute?
Sign in or register to start a topic...
Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:51 PM
Have just had my second abs pump/module fitted same as yourself pump running all the time even with keys out of car, first time was in warranty but has cost €1600 this time round. Funny dealership has never seen this fault before and I have had it twice. Car is 2007 with 66800km on the clock.
Hi, New to this too but very frustrated - My S-Max is a great car and the alarm fault as described above was fixed in warranty as were the parking sensors however 9 weeks out of warranty the ABS pump has gone - started up all by itself whilst parked up and locked outside the house and almost caught fire - husband managed to get the battery disconnected in time.
Ford say £800+ for a new pump and not getting much joy from them even though its only 2 months out of warranty.
I love the car but they seem to have the same recurring problems that Ford deny. Has anyone else had this problem just out of warranty and how did they get on with Ford?
Oh and did anyone elses almost catch fire?
Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:17 PM
Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:57 PM
New to this as well.
Haven't experienced this persistent whining but know it from accelerating at high speed (motorway) - it is quite loud. Always assumed it was the turbo.
The problems I have found are:
- Faulty indicator switch (leading to parking lights coming on of own accord when the engine is off - potential battery drainer - and motorway hazard as indicators again could come on of own accord - it is a known problem and got it replaced under warranty.
- Other issue is how farcically difficult it is to change rear break bulbs -has any one succeeded?? Please let me know
since every problem I had (not so many or headhachefull ones) were asked before and solved before (thanks all for that) I could't find any solution to my recent problem, a Faulty indicator switch (leading to parking lights coming on of own accord when the engine is off).
Does anyone know how to solve it?
My S-Max is a 2008 2.0 tdci, so without warranty.
Thank you for your attention
Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:11 AM
I have got a 2007 2.0 tdci smax and i have a few problems which I'm trying to get to the bottom of.
1. There is a constant whinning/buzzing noise inside the car. I have been told by a garage that its the electric power steering motor/pump and this is normal on these, can anyone clarify that this is the case as I'm not sure this is true.
2. When i'm driving the car I get a lurching motion at low settled revs (doing 30mph in 4th gear, in second when you are turning into junctions). There is plenty of power there when i accelerate a bit but when I let it settle again it starts doing it again. I have been told by the same garage its because its a heavy car and that I just need to be in a lower gear, which does sort the problem but I have never had in all my years driving a car that you have needed to change into first gear to turn into junctions or not been able to be in 4th gear doing 30mph. I have heard stories about the dual mass flywheels being an issue on these and was woundering if anyone can help.
3. Last one now. When i put the car into reverse the parking distances system does a continuous beep for about 10 seconds then only seems to work sometimes or eraticly. I have noticed that the rear sensors have no longer got the black coating on them and that there is a some white powder on a couple. Could this be the cause of the problem as the front ones are fine and seem to work still.
I would really appriciate some help on these issues if anyone has experenced or had similar problems, and how they were solved or if they can be sloved. Many thanks for any help in advance.
Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:34 PM
I work on a 2006 smax 1,8 tdci,
The turbo was broken, I've changed it, started an everything was fine, after 5 min I revded it to maybe 2500, and it started to overrev, it went on for about 10 sec,,
Then it stalled , after this it won't start, take it back into shop and check the inter cooler, it was oil in it, drained it out and tried starting, but no luck, I checked the fuel lines and the diesel is not there,
Checked the engine oil, and it was about 1 cm over the max mark, and the oil smell like diesel,
I've heard on Volvo 1,6 a seal in the pump can give away and send diesel to the pan, but can't find anything on this with the 1,8 tdci,
Anyone experienced the same?
Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:13 PM
Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:48 PM
like most people on this forum, I've just joined because i've got a problem, but dont worry, looks like a good site, think i'll be back to see if I can pimp my ride a bit once problems are sorted.
Anyhow we've got an 07 s-max 2.5t, with full sports pack. It's only got 30'000 miles on clock. It's a great looking family car, absolutely rubbish on mpg, and I mean terrible, but is fun to drive, we've obut now got a problem with the steering.
Story is the battery in key fob started to die, ended up replacing battery after having to open doors manually for a week, but think it was too late as when I replaced it didnt work. Then same day power steering packed up, I thought this may be something to do with alarm/immobiliser. Took down to local dealership today. They say there's swarf in power steering fluid, will have to change pump and steering rack at a cost of £1750.
Now 30,000 miles isnt a lot, and £1750 is a lot of money, is this a common problem,
Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:06 AM
Yes it's a common problem - and that fix is the only option I'm afraid.
As a fellow 2.5T owner you should be aware of the 2 other common issues:
- Boost Control Solenoids packing up and causing inconsistent boost & poor fuel economy (you should expect to get 25mpg if all's ok), though quite a cheap fix at about £100 but seems to need doing every 20,000 miles or so.
- Blocked oil breather causing a vaccuum which announces itself as a whistling sound on idle and a little later the EML comes on on the dash - quite a big job at around £600 and needs doing every 45,000 miles or so.
Have you looked into Bluefin for your S-max? It is a remap option whcih pumps the power output from 220hp to 260hp -but that's not necessarily the reason to do it.... It also increases fuel economy quite considerably. Before bluefin we were averaging 24mpg, in the 3 years since doing this we're gettig 29mpg. The £360 it cost for the DIY kit, it's paid for itself about 6x over in fuel savings.
The extra power comes in handy on overtakes also, but at low speed & cruising you would never know it's been remapped.
Have something to contribute?
Sign in or register to start a topic...
Not what you're looking for?
Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users